DLP Visit June 12-14

sueuk

I've enjoyed the trip report specially when you mention snow on Main Street - DLP is our short trip winter place. Everyone just buys thick Disney hats and scarves and gets on with it! We rode Aladdins Magic Carpets last year and were covered in snow when we got off - so we were forced to get a hot chocolate to warm up :slurp:. The Christmas Parade, with the real reindeer and Father Chrismas, is magical in the cold - just seems right somehow. Then back to the log fire at Sequioa Lodge for a hot toddy before going on the ice rink outside the New York Hotel. DLP is still a growing resort but it's getting better all the time. :wave:

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Original Poster
I've enjoyed the trip report specially when you mention snow on Main Street - DLP is our short trip winter place. Everyone just buys thick Disney hats and scarves and gets on with it! We rode Aladdins Magic Carpets last year and were covered in snow when we got off - so we were forced to get a hot chocolate to warm up :slurp:. The Christmas Parade, with the real reindeer and Father Chrismas, is magical in the cold - just seems right somehow. Then back to the log fire at Sequioa Lodge for a hot toddy before going on the ice rink outside the New York Hotel. DLP is still a growing resort but it's getting better all the time. :wave:

Enjoy your insight, thanks!
I have a few questions for you....
Have you been to the parks around Halloween? From what I've seen and read, it seems the overlay is pretty extensive.
Does the park ever have fireworks? As I had mentioned, the parks closed at 19:00, even in June. Are hours ever extended?
On the Backlot Tour in Reign of Fire set...is what I described all there is or was the effect not working properly?

I will definitely make some time to visit during the Christmas season!

sueuk

Halloween is a nice time to visit. as you say the theming is good, and remember Halloween is still growing in UK and not really celebrated much in the rest of Europe, so it's considered an American 'attraction' to see all the pumpkins etc all over the park.
There aren't many occasions when there are fireworks at DLP - I don't know why. At the beginning of November while the Halloween stuff is still out and before the Christmas theming is done; there is a 'Bonfire Spectacular' which lasts a few days and there is a large bonfire on Lake Disney and a firework show. (It celebrates UK Guy Fawkes night Nov 5th).
There is Spectromagic on winter nights (? if it's on at any other time).
The park hours are extended during the summer, but still not 'late'.
In Reigh of Fire, there is ....fire! at least I've never heard the dragons.

HollyBelle

Fabulous report... and very informative! We so rarely get a glimpse into the other parks and I really appreciate your observations, especially those about the subtle differences. Thanks!

WDW1991

Fantastic report!!! Looking through all of the pictures and reading your views have brought back some wonderful memories from my trip there earlier this year. Thanks for sharing!!!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Glad you finally got there! A few things:

Behind it is what appears to be the Mammoth Springs cascades that are found in the middle of Big Thunder at WDW and DL. What are they doing out there???
This was originally to be the prelude to Geyser Mountain; never built. Think Tower of Terror meets Indy Jones.

Fireworks are everynight from this weekend until end of August, and on special holidays too. Same for Fantillusion.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Original Poster
Glad you finally got there! A few things:

This was originally to be the prelude to Geyser Mountain; never built. Think Tower of Terror meets Indy Jones.
Fireworks are everynight from this weekend until end of August, and on special holidays too. Same for Fantillusion.

Thanks M!
Very happy to have had the chance.

So you're saying potential awesome to nothing....:(

Hopefully I did an ok job in capturing the park as it is now.

bigkevvo

O, so I see we need some clarity on Disneyland Paris from an...ahem...sort of...expert!

Fireworks,until around 2007 and throughout 17th July to end August ran a watered down version of Wishes...not the best show. Last year this was replaced with a fireworks show based on the movie 'Enchanted' and was very touching, although not as spectacular as for, example, anaheims 'remember'show.

For around 5 nights a year at the end of october and beginning of november a fireworks show takes place over lake disney near to downtown disney which is based on bonfire night in the uk and is exceptional.

As the park is so close to residential area's it has to seek planning permission for fireworks shows and so is limited throughout the year and is part of the reason why shows are staged over lake disney and not in the park...I agree, quiete disappointing.

I would definetely agree that there is a need for an evening 'spectacular' like fantasmic to attract guests year round.

Christmas at the park is magical...the whole park gets and overlay with additional shows and parades and due to the (delightful?) cold weather is very authentic...even downtown disney plays it's part and ice skating outside the hotel new york is simply wonderful and higly recommended.

Disneyland also takes its role in halloween very seriously and again the whole park gets a pupmkin or orange themed overlay and is celebrated as 'child friendly' rather than scary.

Your view on area's of the park do, at times, seem to be judgmental when you say they are not meant so...should you find time i would recommend reading up on the history and design for the park...i can recommend some books for you...the designs, from some very original imagineers, are very inspriational.

From a customer service point of view, i could not agree more with your view...as a UK guest I love the service offered in both california and florida and find paris very, very disappointing...this i feel is cultural of the uk, france and probably europe as a whole...the US superceeds on many service levels.

Overall, having visited cali, florida and paris, the beauty of the paris park amazes me, the nostalgia of california inspires me and the sheer magnitude of florida wow's me. I love all the parks for very different reasons...but cali/anaheim has to be my favourite...walt's dream and the only park he ever visited.

Kev :wave:

tomm4004

First day in Disneyland, I was immediately struck by how small overall the park is...

DLP is about 140 acres, making it the largest MK. Frontierland seems especially huge, with a giant swathe of space stretching back to the train station. It's quite a hike. The space must originally have been the home of a never-built E-Ticket, perhaps Splash. The covered arcades add lots of space, as does the area in front of the castle. It's a wonderful park to wander because of all the acreage. So much of it is on stage.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom