DLP Visit June 12-14

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Original Poster
Good comments Sueuk, I agree with most.

With your mention of characters, I was surprised to see a small stage in the lobby of the hotel (very stark lobby...forgot to get a picture of it), and characters appeared regularly for photo ops there. I imagine it was the same in the other hotels.

Character visits were interesting in that there wasn't a "handler" in the same way they are used in Florida. There also wasn't a mob or long queue. People assembled in a circle around the character and politely took turns posing for their pictures. Definitely wouldn't work in WDW.

Clearly, I can only comment on what I saw during my 2 1/2 days, but I didn't see any face characters (outside of the parade). Saw only Donald, Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy and Chip&Dale out. Actually saw more of them in Studios then Disneyland. Could just have been my timing.

When I first checked for prices, yes, there were discounts and packages available for various dates, and there is a children free promotion...unfortunately I didn't have a choice for dates, and as luck would have it, it was identified as a premium weekend with no specials.

You also mentioned French buffet breakfast.....
When you check in, you need to select a breakfast time in half hour increments. I stopped in my first morning for the first at 7:00. Entering the large buffet area, there were baskets of rolls, crossiants, beignets, cereal, some cheese, few cold meats and a few bowls of fruit cocktail, plain yogurt and some other items that I was unsure of, and weren't particularly appealing. I went on to the next station and saw a repeat of the same....and it was repeated at the four additional stations. No eggs, no breakfast meats (sausage/bacon/ham), no hot offerings.... Definitely not a breakfast I am used to in Europe. Saw quite a few folks stocking up on the breads for later in the day....

Understand what you are saying about a certain...a...randomness of the queues...didn't really bother me, but I could imagine the fuss that kind of behavior would cause in WDW...:eek:

Also agree with your comment on CM, once approached were charming. Had a number of nice "chats" over the visit. As I had said before, I was truly impressed at CM's in all positions being able to transition through French, German, Spanish, Italian, Portugese, English (probably more) very well.

As you had said, there was not always a lot of organization by CM's for ride loading...even things like Space Mountain and RnRC...but somehow it seemed to work. The area's I missed CM "acting" or script presentation were places like Phantom Manor.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Original Poster
Speaking of food....
Thought it was very cute seeing Mickey shaped beignets, Mickey hands and Mickey donuts

DLP_09_244.JPG

DLP_09_245.JPG

There were also Mickey shaped buns for childrens meal hamburgers and Mickey shaped childrens pizza.

Very nice!

As I had said before, there are a lot more restaurants in both parks, many with table seating, and those that were counter serve had large seating areas.

While it is not considered appropriate in the US parks, beer and wine are available in Disneyland. You did not see people walking around the park with beers, but it is part of the meal. As it is part of the gastronome, children do not seem to be permanently scarred by the practice, and it is not a big deal.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Original Poster
Part IV...on to Fantasyland

Being on property AND signing up for a room charge card allows you access to Disneyland two hours early each day. There is no "EMH" for Studios, so I figured I'd enter MK for about 1 1/2 hours then take the 10 minute walk over to studios for it's opening.

I may have missed it, but I didn't observe any type of opening ceremony in either park. The morning was great for getting some pictures with that morning light.

I was really impressed with Fantasyland here. The various show buildings were very detailed and visually appealing. There was a bit more openness to the walkways allowing for a more relaxed flow when crowded. There were also some nice touches like the Wicked Queen periodically pulling back the curtains of an upstairs window to peer out, a nice Mickey beanstalk and a beautiful Toad Hall (alas it is only a restaurant).

DLP_09_146.JPG

DLP_09_128.JPG

DLP_09_137.JPG

Of course there is a carousel, Dumbo, teacups that are similar to what we know in Florida and CA, so I didn't take photos.

While in Fantasyland, another observation that was thought of earlier became obvious. There are far far less stollers used in these parks, NO ECV's and very few wheelchairs. No comments beyond that, but once you noticed it, you couldn't ignore the marked contrast. There was also a marked difference in handicapped access (at least to casual observation). In any case there appeared to be a lot less available that is present in the US parks.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Original Poster
On to Disney Studios, the theming used for this park is very much one of a studio backlot. Each attraction is housed in a "soundstage", so there are many of these beige colored domed roof structures...in fact, you enter the park through one just past the turnstyles and a small courtyard.

Inside this first one is a congested jumble of Hollywood landmarks, mostly occurring as signs. For example there is a Brown Derby sign and frontage, but no restaurant. This is under a starlight sky.

DLP_09_173.JPG

You exit this building to a street layout similar to the "streets of NY" at Studios Florida, but this street is in Hollywood as is apparent by the hilltop sign. And what do we have here in the middle of the vista, but the Walt and Mickey statue....my only thought is why is it here instead of Disneyland?

DLP_09_152.JPG

This facade is fairly small, and just continues briefly to one side to the Tower of Terror. While parts of the Hollywood Tower Hotel building are "cracked" and "burned", most of the exterior looks fairly fresh. Statuary and rose gardens are well kept and new looking rather than suffering from 60 years of neglect. The hotel lobby is fairly small and stark mostly made up of queue area. The ride structure is similar to the DCA version where you are immediately placed in the "lift box" and visit two sets before going into the drop sequence.

DLP_09_177.JPG

The hat is here as well, albiet a much smaller version as part of the Art of Animation building. Wonder if Tink, Wendy and Peter came over after spending some time on the MK Castle?
DLP_09_156.JPG

Next big E ticket is RnRC. Exterior was very stark and nondescript. In queue and even inside, there was no Aerosmith to be heard. It was a fairly familiar G-Force record studio decor, with some artifacts akin to Hard Rock Cafe. You are staged into the Aerosmith "video room" where instead of rehearsal, the band is trying to design a roller coaster ??? You are then let out into their final product. Cars are not limo's but a rather interesting electronic vehicle with light, groundlights, clear lit "engine compartment" and interesting electronic hums and sounds. The ride launches the same but is more of a generic coaster in the dark with various light effects, some of which are pretty nice. There is no premise of driving through Hollywood. The ride is longer than Florida with a few more rolls and runs. Ride itself is a nice coaster.

DLP_09_247.JPG

Backlot tour is in residence with a similar Catastrophe Canyon, far fewer movie props and a second set piece that I had some hope for. It was a London street area, badly damaged. It was explained that this was a set from Reign of Fire...still had hope when you could hear dragon breathing and low roars. Fire erupts from an open area with louder roars then that's it...no glimpse of dragon, no other motion or activity. I'm still hoping that someone will tell me that the effect was not operating properly and there is actually more to this...

DLP_09_169.JPG

There was another special effects show from Armageddon where you are on the space station when it is hit by meteor fragments....it was OK, but I liked seeing the rover from the movie a bit more.

DLP_09_170.JPG

Also in the park was Crushes coaster which looked like fun. You sit in a turtle shell that rotates and rocks along the path. No FP and 110 min. wait so I deferred to Sunday....but it was 101 on Sunday, so I didn't get to ride.

The only other ride in the park was Aladdin's Magic Carpets. Lights Moteur was on hiatus for the week, so all that was left was two theater shows, Animagique which is a stage show with Mickey and friends using black lighting to create the effect, and CinéMagique which I thought was a clever combination of movies and live action with nice help from Martin Short.
I was anticipating going into these theaters to have a bit of frosty relief from the sunny park, but as I had said before, was surprised by the lack of AC (if there was AC, it was set far higher than I am used to being spoiled by) even some nice air circulation by fans would have been nice.

Beyond that there is a Stitch live show, Toon Disney and another childrens show that I did not visit. (bad enough a 50 year old guy rode Peter Pan and Pinnochio alone...:lookaroun) That is pretty much it for studios....oh, there is HS Musical I performances and a 5 section tram that arrives with much hoopla carrying characters out for a visit. In any case, far less than is available at either WDW Studio's or AK that many consider 1/2 day parks.

DLP_09_179.JPG

Cute Sorcerer's Apprentice statue where water magically sloshes out of the buckets.

Bye Studios

DLP_09_178.JPG

One more installment to come....the 4:15 - 3:00 Parade

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Cool. The CinéMagique show is always well reviewed. Wish I could see it sometime. I had never heard that Aerosmith was designing the coaster on this version of RnR. I'm not getting on anything that Mr. Tyler designed. :lol:

Interesting that you commented on the dearth of offerings at the Studios park. I remember looking at the attraction lineup for the Studios in Paris (pre ToT, Crush, etc.) and looking at the attraction lineup for DLP and thinking, "why would anyone even bother with the Studios?" Sounds like they may still have an attraction or two or three to add. I have a vague memory that in DisneyWar, the author documents that someone on the board commented to Eisner that it didn't seem like there was enough at the Studios to hold people's attention. Don't know if it really happened, but I could see how it happened.

DLP looks like it has a knockout Fantasyland based on your photos and description. You mention that DLP has more restaurant offerings several times. I kind of wish MK would open another nice TS and another CS place. It could have a better eatery line up. Of course my kids adore Crystal Palace so until they tire of that, it doesn't really matter. :lol:

Thanks for the report. Really informative.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Original Poster
Had a few more pics of Fantasyland before closing out...

I had mentioned before about the evil queen periodically pulling back the curtains of her upstairs room and peering out..... I wonder how many people actually notice her?

DLP_09_147.JPG

Here is the Queen of Hearts castle as part of the Alice Maze

DLP_09_140.JPG

DLP_09_135.JPG

Jack's Beanstalk...

DLP_09_067.JPG

...which reminds me. Be sure to eat your haricots with every meal!

DLP_09_143.JPG

Windmill was OK, not so sure about the kiddie bucket ride on the back however (it was closed at the time)
DLP_09_141.JPG

DLP_09_131.JPG

Before I leave Fantasyland and the lovely castle...and with a number of real castles nearby, I can agree with the approach to take the whimsical rather than traditional approach...

DLP_09_075.JPG

...this castle is different from the others in that it is built over a cave, which can be accessed from a shop or from the side. And in that cave, nestled between the stalagtites and stalagmites is an impressive dragon. This dragon stirs occasionally and every once in a while awakens fully, eyes open and glowing, head raising showing that the restraining chain is broken before settling down again. There is some heavy breathing (no not that kind...) but as he doesn't see us and is apparently not fully awake, there are no full throated roars.

My favorite subtle effect was it's tail, well removed from the body and dangling in some water between two stalagmites that periodically twitched or when it was more awake, swayed and splashed in the water.

DLP_09_0701.JPG

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
Been keeping up with this report since you started it late a few nights ago and was going to wait to chime in until all was said and done. That was, until you posted my FAVORITE part of DLP - The dragon! :eek:

That thing is too cool and it's something I want to see in person very badly. Did the size overwhelm you, Dave?

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Original Poster
Been keeping up with this report since you started it late a few nights ago and was going to wait to chime in until all was said and done. That was, until you posted my FAVORITE part of DLP - The dragon! :eek:

That thing is too cool and it's something I want to see in person very badly. Did the size overwhelm you, Dave?

I don't get overwhelmed easily my dear.... :animwink:
Dragon is a very nice understated touch. No big signs or anything pointing to it. The back part of one Fantasyland shop starts out as a stone building, but as you go to the back, you find that it is cut into the rock and the cave is visible from the balcony...with stairs for access. There are two openings...one on each side from the front side of the castle. Really enjoyable.

OK, lets wrap things up....

I amused myself mightily when I found out that the 3:00 parade was at 4:15!
..and no fireworks, even on the weekends. Don't know if they have them during peak summer holidays or not.

I forgot to mention earlier...hours every day were 10:00 to 7:00 for those that complain about Florida hours....
Parade was nice overall, a bit short, but display floats were well detailed, main song was properly Disney contageous. I arrived on Main Street about 3:50 and was able to get a spot right on the curb. There was actually decent room until about 5 minutes before the parade, then folks just arbitrarily pushed in front of you....would have caused a full blown brawl in Orlando!

Forgot this from the Studio's discussion but Ratatouille made appearances outside of one of the restaurants

DLP_09_2501.JPG

DLP_09_1851.JPG

DLP_09_214.JPG

DLP_09_197.JPG

My favorite part of the parade....French Tiggers really bounce!

DLP_09_1991.JPG

DLP_09_202.JPG

DLP_09_209.JPG

DLP_09_2071.JPG

Love that sorry beard on the pirate!

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Original Poster
Few More....

DLP_09_220.JPG

DLP_09_226.JPG

Very nice stained glass in the Main Street Train Station.

DLP_09_227.JPG

Found it interesting that the name was never changed for the Train...
Euro Disney RailRoad!

DLP_09_2341.JPG

To close....it was great to have gotten to see these parks. Interesting on so many levels. Studio's definitely has a lot to be desired, but as with all Disney property, has potential with the right guidance. Some parts of Disneyland Paris were amazing...others seemed to have been built while project momentum was running down. I can't say I would have the same desire to return as I do to WDW and CA, possibly in the fall for Halloween overlay that looks interesting (surprising as Europe doesn't really do Halloween), and of course Christmas season.....imagine needing a coat hat and gloves to stroll the park...and accumulating snow on Main Street...we shall see....

Three more for you Sparky...

DLP_09_149.JPG

DLP_09_072.JPG

(note the ripped eyelid on this side...)

DLP_09_149.JPG

Let me leave you with the following...

DLP_09_2381.JPG

DLP_09_2401.JPG

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Thank you for this report Dave. I have never really had a desire to visit DLP (DL in CA and Tokyo are far higher priorities) but now I kind of want to go. I am surprised how different some of the cloned attractions (mainly RnRC and ToT) are. Hopefully one day I will get to see it all for myself. :shrug:

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Oh, and I love the bouncing French Tigger. Weird, yet entertaining. :lol:

I think the lack of fireworks and 7pm park closures would get to me.

Disneyfalcon

Wow! That was a great report! Thanks so much for sharing all those pictures and observations. It's fascinating to compare all the parks. I can't wait to go one day.:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom