DLP Visit June 12-14

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Original Poster
As it turned out, I needed to be in Europe for two weeks, with a free weekend in between...so what should I do. I've passed through the train station for Disneyland Paris (Marne-la-Vallée) on the TGV (high speed train) numerous times, have gotten glimpses of the Castle, Space Mountain and Tot, and said to myself, being this close, sometime I have to stop. OK, so this was that time.

Of course the one weekend I had available, there were no discounts available, so I had to pay about $380/night for one of the "economy hotels" with a room smaller that All Star's.

The resort was "Santa Fe" and meant to resemble adobe buildings in the American SouthWest. You entered the resort under a big billboard of Clint Eastwood from his spaghetti western days...

DLP_09_105.JPG

And here was my room....:rolleyes:
The wall is just on the right side, so that was all the living space. Small hallway that I took the picture from, and rather stark bathroom in need of refurb!

DLP_09_106.JPG

OK, the price did include breakfast (more on that later) and park admission, so onward.

Arrived using a Disney bus from CDG (Charles de Gaulle) airport which is probably the best route. Bus drops you off and picks you up at your resort.

While I would guess that many Europeans are familiar with Clint's westerns, I wonder how many understand this:

DLP_09_104.JPG

In case you're having trouble with this one....it's a crashed flying saucer...guess there is an Area 51 on the property....:lookaroun Considering how bland most of the property was, I thought it was a clever touch.

As I said, this was one of the two "economy" hotels, the other being Hotel Cheyenne which has you living in a stereotypic western town complete with boardwalks, a saloon, jail....actually quite cute.

DLP_09_103.JPG

There are four other hotels and a campground. You can walk from all hotels to the parks (with the except of the campgrounds). One hotel is "New York" looking like a Manhattan skyline, another is Sequoia Lodge reminiscent of WL or CL, Newport Bay Club looking like Yacht and Beach Club, and the premier hotel, The Disneyland Hotel, which is the entrance to DL park.

DLP_09_100.JPG

DLP_09_099.JPG

DLP_09_017.JPG

Walking from the hotels to the Disneyland Hotel and DLP Studios entrance, you walk through an area that is an abbreviated version of Downtown Disney.
Included here is a Disney Store, Planet Hollywood, A Wild West dinner show (kind of a cross between Hoop de do Review and Medieval Knights with Mickey). About half a dozen more restaurants and additional stores.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Original Poster
Part II Disneyland Paris

Didn't matter on my first day, but hotel guests get a two hour early admission to DL which was real nice for picture taking on Saturday and Sunday.

As I said, you enter the park either by walking right through the middle of the Disneyland hotel or general admission from parking etc. is on the right side (when facing as per the picture). There is a small courtyard then under the arches and on to Main Street.

DLP_09_023.JPG

DLP_09_019.JPG

DLP_09_024.JPG

For those of you that have visited both WDW and DL in California...you have a sense of the feeling you get walking through this park. The same, but not...some things are where they are "expected" to be, some things are very different...kind of a twilight zone experience. All in all, familiar enough to find your way around.

First differences, in the Main Street Courtyard, there is a gazebo...no statue or flagpole, and in the circular forfront of the castle at the end of Main Street is a stage. No traffic through that area. Trees in this area were draped with metallic streamers from past days parades....:shrug:

DLP_09_022.JPG

If anything, the buildings along Main Street were more ornate than the other Disney Parks. Definitely more variety in the stores that are not all connected inside. More restaurants as well. Walts being the premier one (in the first courtyard picture).

Of course you can't miss the significantly different castle at the end of Main Street. It still bears the extra ornamentation of the fifteenth anniversary (2007).

More later...

HollyBelle

Love the pictures and insight into another park. Thanks for sharing, ClemsonTigger. So the santa fe and wild west resorts are disney owned and operated?! I never knew they had "value" options over there.

I can't wait to read and see more :sohappy:!

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Original Poster
Love the pictures and insight into another park. Thanks for sharing, ClemsonTigger. So the santa fe and wild west resorts are disney owned and operated?! I never knew they had "value" options over there.

I can't wait to read and see more :sohappy:!

Yes, the resorts I mentioned are Disney owned and operated. Santa Fe and Cheyenne are the equivalent of "value" (if you can call $350+ a night value), New York would equate to "moderate", the others being deluxe with Disneyland hotel at the high end of that.

There are also 3-4 off property hotels that get "preferred status" similar to some near DTD in Orlando.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Original Poster
First day in Disneyland, I was immediately struck by how small overall the park is, with the possible exception of Fantasyland that appears bigger than it's Orlando cousin. There is no Tomorrowland...rather it's called Discoveryland, with the general grounds having more of a Science Fiction circa 1900...Jules Verne approach.

Space Mountain (Mission 2) is a beautiful piece, with the giant cannon Columbiad (thought to be able to "launch" a projectile or capsule to the moon) as a focal point. Adjacent is Nautilus which you can "tour" at limited hours in the day.

DLP_09_028.JPG

DLP_09_029.JPG

Space Mountain (Mission 2) is an upgraded coaster, faster with 360's, rolls etc. Interior much darker with you wizzing past actual planets, some comets, nebula's and assorted nice effects. Sound system wasn't working that well, seemed to kick in later in the ride, but I think it was similar if not the same as the Cali version. You do launch through the cannon with nice interior light and exterior smoke effects. Launch is not as fast as RnRC but much nicer that the clinking chain climb of Orlando SM.

DLP_09_035.JPG

DLP_09_038.JPG

Open air loading area. Much of the interior queue was not AC, and even on the days I was there where it was in the low 80's...it was....a....warm....

Walking on the Nautilus (more appropriately the illusion of walking through) was nice if simple. If you know the movie or the original ride there are some nice touches.

Also in the area are Autotopia, Buzz, Star Tours and Honey I Shrunk the Audience...

DLP_09_079.JPG

DLP_09_033.JPG

Not much else besides restaurants. Oh, and clearly not the number of souvenir shops.

There was one other scary event....Stitches Dance Party, with DJ Stitch...and dancers, the guys looking like wolverine and the girls like flight attendants from "The Fifth Element".

DLP_09_0781.JPG

Don't know if this is similar to the new show in Orlando....I....a.....hope not...

Thats pretty much it from Discoveryland.

Some general park observations....

While it was a beautiful weekend with highs in the low 80's....most every adult wore long pants. Many people even had jackets and sweaters. Almost no-one, and I mean no-one had on any Disneyland or Mickey apparel. It was subtle at first, but when I finally realized it, it hit me like a 2x4. Twilight Zone indeed. The only real exception was that there were many young girls in princess attire.

As I said about Space Mountain, interiors of buildings were not air conditioned (at least by Florida or even NJ summer building standards). This was true throughout Disneyland and Studios. After walking around in the bright sun, I was looking forward to going inside of a theater or ride for a little relief....and there was none....

Then when it comes to CM's....I saw very little interaction with guests. Even on rides, there was either brief commands, or guests basically loaded themselves. Little or no character acting in places like Phantom Manor (version of Haunted Mansion), PoTC etc. Many CM's walking together were fully involved in their own conversations, talking on phones (personal) etc. I'm not saying there was rude behavior, just no attempts at engagement. All were polite when approached and asked questions. As I had said before, I am truly amazed at the number of CM's in all positions that rapidly transition between multiple languages.

Then there was smoking. It doesn't particulary bother me one way or the other, and being of the age, I remember when public smoking wherever was the norm, well, this was a flashback. Officially the park does have designated smoking areas, but they are totally ignored. Instead, people walk throughout the parks and in some lines smoking away. With that said, the weird think is that very few just drop their butts and move on. Most put them out and properly dispose. In fact, most garbage cans (not in smoking areas) have a cigarette disposal attachment.

The other thing that struck me as a bit unusual was the general lack of attention to barriers. Families settled down on fenced off or walled off grass areas for impromptu picnics or naps, during parades, people would scale chained off hill areas for better views, none of this contested.

Again, I'm not making judgements, just what I think are some interesting observations. You have more time to do that when travelling alone.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
First differences, in the Main Street Courtyard, there is a gazebo...no statue or flagpole

Some insight to your query.

Town Square in DLP was different for several reasons. To allow for better flow in and out of this park, there is an additional center entry portal beneath the RR Station unique to DLP, and in doing so you could have potentially seen the Castle from the ticketing area, which hurts the slow "reveal" of the park when you come out of the portal. We did not want to give that "wow" visual away until you had absorbed the idea of Main Street and seen Town Square. DL in 1955 had a Gazebo in that location but Walt moved it, and seeing as a flagpole could only carry a French flag which weakened our MS theme, we put our Gazebo in place of a flag pole and it's ceremony and to solve the castle view issue.

EPCOT Explorer

Town Square in DLP was different for several reasons. To allow for better flow in and out of this park, there is an additional center entry portal beneath the RR Station unique to DLP, and in doing so you could have potentially seen the Castle from the ticketing area, which hurts the slow "reveal" of the park when you come out of the portal. We did not want to give that "wow" visual away until you had absorbed the idea of Main Street and seen Town Square. DL in 1955 had a Gazebo in that location but Walt moved it, and seeing as a flagpole could only carry a French flag which weakened our MS theme, we put our Gazebo in place of a flag pole and it's ceremony and to solve the castle view issue.
You would know, right?:D;)

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Original Poster

Thanks Eddie. I look forward to any additional comments you may have as I add more. Your comments on the Town Square makes a lot of sense. Didn't bother me in the least...just observing as different. The two things that I thought were strange however was the lack of Walt statue (I will discuss that later in the trip report) and the hub being fully closed to pedestrian traffic, used as a stage (which I guess makes sense as there is less room directly in front of the castle.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Very nice Dave. I've learned a lot from reading this. I only knew about the main hotel that you walk through to enter the park. Wasn't aware of the other options. I suppose when I reflect on my experiences in Europe, I'm not really suprised that the CMs are more aloof and that people ignore barriers. Wasn't aware of the lack of AC either, but it doesn't really surprise me. All the pictures I've seen of DLP make it look beautiful. Aesthetically, how did you think it stacks up?

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Original Poster
Very nice Dave. I've learned a lot from reading this. I only knew about the main hotel that you walk through to enter the park. Wasn't aware of the other options. I suppose when I reflect on my experiences in Europe, I'm not really suprised that the CMs are more aloof and that people ignore barriers. Wasn't aware of the lack of AC either, but it doesn't really surprise me. All the pictures I've seen of DLP make it look beautiful. Aesthetically, how did you think it stacks up?

Tough one. On one hand, it was cleaner than WDW or DL except for the metallic streamers in the trees that just accumulated more and more each day. Some aspects of the presentation were great, particularly Main Street, Frontierland (mostly) and Fantasyland. Character presence was sparse and limited to the Fab 5. I saw no face characters and almost no CM interaction which left me with a bit of a sterile feeling.

As we do details here, I would say that Phantom Manor was sterile and disconnected in the outside queue, with a weird cemetery off to the side and beyond that was the "Mammoth Hot Springs terraces" from the middle of Big Thunder off by themselves as if they were made, couldn't be used and were thrown on a heap back there.

Adventureland struck me as a real disjointed hodgepodge, that except for some common Disney connections, like PoTC, it seemed very generic (but nice) theme park.

Studios I'll discuss further but definitely small, half-day park.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Original Poster
Part III (I think...)

The entrance to Frontierland was a large wooden fort, with access to upper walkways and lookouts. Buildings were more western rustic and distinct. The two rides in this area are Phantom Manor and BTMT.

DLP_09_040.JPG

DLP_09_043.JPG

Phantom Manor was interesting in that it kept with the Western theme looking like a rather forlorne western "mansion". There were a number of different costumes, my favorite was:

DLP_09_047.JPG

...and the Manor itself (anyone else see some similarity to the Psycho house?):

DLP_09_044.JPG

The queue going up to the Manor was rather bland. Large expanses cover in crushed black rock...one or two random pieces of broken pottery. Inside the Manor the stretching room was fun as the portraits are different (but equally amusing) Unfortunately, as I had mentioned before, the interaction with CM's was lacking...no real role playing, not the same real script, just ushers.

Story line is different in the ride in that the bride story key in the first half, with her marrying a "mystery man" that can be seen in shadow in the ballroom, and makes his true self known later in the ride. The only time we hear Grim Grinning Ghosts is in the small graveyard with the busts singing. There is a rather confusing set of a western town that follows. With the exception of the first "person" you see who tips his whole head hello, it's unclear if these are actually ghosts or what. Seance scene was also stark and not even as interesting as the pre-upgrade version in WDW. You exit the Manor and there is a side walk into a graveyard. For the most part it appears to be just a graveyard without any inside jokes or clever visuals. Behind it is what appears to be the Mammoth Springs cascades that are found in the middle of Big Thunder at WDW and DL. What are they doing out there???

DLP_09_045.JPG

Big Thunder was a pleasant surprise. It is actually on an island with the load/unload area on the other side of the water. You therefore travel through mines both to and from the island. There is also a nice little effect where you bank over the water and are sprayed by water jets as if you were skimming the water. Nice variation.

DLP_09_050.JPG

Adventureland was one area that confused me. With the exception of PoTC, it could have been any number of other amusement parks. The Indiana Jones coaster was just that a coaster with some mountains and mining equipment around.

DLP_09_052.JPG

A pirate ship docked could be anything except for the Ariel figurehead.
DLP_09_0601.JPG

PoTC queue was interesting with skeletons, cells, then palm trees a village and a restaurant.
DLP_09_0571.JPG

Ride was without the Johnny Depp overlay which is fine, but the story line sets seemed to be disjointed and out of order. Following the "Redhead" set, there was a very nice swordfight effect. Fluid motion and good speed. Real nice addition. Overall ride left me a bit confused.

DLP_09_0551.JPG

That picture reminded me of something interesting from a horticultural perspective....there were a fair number of palm trees in this area. Don't know if they take them "inside" for the winter, but they were a nice touch in a clearly non tropical, deciduous landscape.

Also talking plants, fresh plants were well cared for throughout the park, but for some reason, on the second floor of Main Street buildings, flower boxes were filled with red and white (plastic) pointsettias.....??

Next installment....Fantasyland

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Thanks Eddie. I look forward to any additional comments you may have as I add more. Your comments on the Town Square makes a lot of sense. Didn't bother me in the least...just observing as different. The two things that I thought were strange however was the lack of Walt statue (I will discuss that later in the trip report) and the hub being fully closed to pedestrian traffic, used as a stage (which I guess makes sense as there is less room directly in front of the castle.

The idea of a Walt "Partners" Statue came after DLP was built. Who knows what was done to the hub with that stage. The Hub was very traditional at opening. My MSUSA job was over after the park opened, so I am not that privy to what came later.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
If anything, the buildings along Main Street were more ornate than the other Disney Parks. Definitely more variety in the stores that are not all connected inside. More restaurants as well. Walts being the premier one (in the first courtyard picture).

FYI- The address number of Walt's is the same address as WDI..1401 Flower St. there is lots of WDI art in there so it seemed to make sense. We intentionally did not connect all the stores internally to prevent a "mall" from occurring. Each shop was to be masculine or feminine in tone so they felt different. The Main Street Motors shop was dark reds and hunter greens and the Clothiers Shop was lighter and more pastel.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Original Poster
FYI- The address number of Walt's is the same address as WDI..1401 Flower St. there is lots of WDI art in there so it seemed to make sense. We intentionally did not connect all the stores internally to prevent a "mall" from occurring. Each shop was to be masculine or feminine in tone so they felt different. The Main Street Motors shop was dark reds and hunter greens and the Clothiers Shop was lighter and more pastel.

And that difference really came across. Having to walk into individual stores with distinct feels was great exploration. You realize how much you miss that in the homogeneity of Orlando.

Here's a picture of the gazebo discussed earlier:

DLP_09_111.JPG

And that "masculine" Main Street Motors:

DLP_09_114.JPG

With the wonderful Nescafe coffee billboard on top where the coffee cup has a steady supply of "steam" coming off of it

DLP_09_115.JPG

Eddie....question for you. As I mentioned earlier, the "Mammoth Springs terraces" found in the middle of Big Thunder at WDW and DL are out behind Phantom Manor "in the woods" without rhyme or reason as far as I can tell. Can you shed any light on that?

sueuk

Yes, the resorts I mentioned are Disney owned and operated. Santa Fe and Cheyenne are the equivalent of "value" (if you can call $350+ a night value), New York would equate to "moderate", the others being deluxe with Disneyland hotel at the high end of that.

There are also 3-4 off property hotels that get "preferred status" similar to some near DTD in Orlando.
I'd probably give the Santa Fe a miss if you ever visit - it's very boring and most definately the worst hotel. The Cheyenne is only marginally more expensive and is a far nicer place to stay, with a good buffet restaurant and really well themed rooms. Sequoia Lodge (moderate) is themed around the same idea as Wilderness Lodge, and Newport Bay Club is the equivalent of the Beach club theming (neither however are as good as Florida) but they are really good hotels to visit and only 5 mins walk from the parks. The best thing about the pricing at DLP is getting your park (hopper) ticket for your stay and a French buffet breakfast included.
With pre planning there are always free night offers or children stay free offers. :wave:

sueuk

We've found that although some of the CMs can appear aloof, they are helpful and happy to be approached. The ride queuing is sometimes chaotic, with little organisation by the CMs (the French don't 'do' queues!! - wait till you go to queue for a meal). I'm quite surprised by the character comments as we have always seen as many characters in DLP as WDW; in both the hotels and parks there are character meet and greets; and various characters in the different lands.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom