Disneyland Resort Buys Even More Property

TP2000

I'm not sure where I read it (probably around here somewhere) but original plans called for moving walkways. Those plans were modified to eliminate the moving walkways (presumably to save money).

That info about the moving sidewalks being cut from the project was in a Miceage Update many months ago. It just as long of a walk from Pumbaa to the main gate as it is from the Mickey & Friends structure.

Funny thing is that when Miceage first mentioned the moving sidewalks getting cut, lots of folks on forums like this one said Miceage was just whining about nothing and the walk wasn't that long and people should stop complaining. Interesting how that opinion seems to have changed.

TP2000

The prices are special. They charge $300-$400 a night for a hotel that's basically the Disney equivalent of a Courtyard by Marriott. It's rare that I feel ripped off by Disney, but on my last trip I definately felt like I was being jacked by The PP Hotel.

As a Mariott rewards member, I get much better service at suburban Courtyards or mid-sized-city Marriott hotels than I ever have at any Disney owned hotel in Anaheim.

At Marriotts or Courtyards they call be by name at the front desk, the lobby bartender remembers I like rye instead of bourbon in my Manhattans by the second night, know that I like a late check-out, and they have my room stocked with extra feather pillows upon check-in.

No one at any Disney hotel has ever cared that much about me, or ever shown any real interest in making sure I was comfortable. And just try, JUST TRY, to walk into the Tangaroa Terrace at the Disneyland Hotel and order a cheeseburger while the little gaggle of CM's cluster around the pick-up counter gossipping and ignoring every customer who walks in. There is clearly no management presence in many staffed locations around the Disneyland Hotel.

At the Grand Californian all the front desk staff pretends to be snooty, even though they are clearly working-class youths who have no real training in top notch service. The only CM's who make eye contact with you at the Grand Californian are a few of the Hispanic cleaning staff in the halls who generally have a smile for you, otherwise its nose in the air "I'm Super Cool" attitude trying to be passed off as formal hospitality training. They fail, but what is hysterical is they really do think they are great.

Wouldn't you just love to know who at TDA pays off the Auto Club each year so the Disneyland Hotel and Grand Californian can keep their Four Diamond rating?!?

Last edited:

Phroobar

No one at any Disney hotel has ever cared that much about me, or ever shown any real interest in making sure I was comfortable. And just try, JUST TRY, to walk into the Tangaroa Terrace at the Disneyland Hotel and order a cheeseburger while the little gaggle of CM's cluster around the pick-up counter gossipping and ignoring every customer who walks in. There is clearly no management presence in many staffed locations around the Disneyland Hotel.

I noticed this too at the Tangaroa Terrace. I thought it was kind of strange seeing that. The staff reminded me of Magic Mountain employees. I wonder where the manager was? Even Pizza Port had employees that weren't standing around gossiping and ignoring everyone but where working.

Old Mouseketeer

I noticed this too at the Tangaroa Terrace. I thought it was kind of strange seeing that. The staff reminded me of Magic Mountain employees. I wonder where the manager was? Even Pizza Port had employees that weren't standing around gossiping and ignoring everyone but where working.

That's really funny--that so describes my experience at Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner restaurant this week. I finished my pie and the dinner dishes still hadn't been cleared from the table. We were in the corner next to the opening of the island shaped bar. We heard our server and the trainee shadowing him gossiping with the bartender and a busser about how much the staff at Club 33 make (no lie) and how the bartender used to work at Disney. I called the server over and told him that if he listened to me without interrupting, I would not call the manager. I very politely told him that the service was substandard, related what I wrote above, that I knew Disney CMs, and that earlier in my life I had over 10 years experience in this industry, including management. I said I had no desire to get him in trouble, but that he needed to know that this was not acceptable. As the service was consistently substandard, we left a tip of 10%, which I think was generous. My relative from out of state thought I let him off easy.

NobodyElse

It just as long of a walk from Pumbaa to the main gate as it is from the Mickey & Friends structure.

True. Of course Mickey & Friends features a prominently placed tram system with dedicated roadway. One almost has to go out of their way to avoid it and walk to the front gate. It seems the majority of folks opt for the transportation. Current Pumbaa usually has a bus waiting, but the one-at-a-time load and unload seems less appealing (to me). It's hard to say what the walk to ride ratio is there.

I still have no idea what they plan for the new Pumbaa garage. Logic tells me that if they bought a hotel for right of way, and are building a dedicated bridge, that's the path that Disney wants me to take. If they are going to set up some sort of shuttle bus (and it would need to be an actual street-legal bus) from new Pumbaa, I would think it would load at the rumored new bus area on the north end of the Manchester property. (Then there's the the issue of where would it unload if all the bus unload zones are taken up by Marvel Expansion). Personally, if I parked somewhere in the current Pumbaa zone, and walked north to the Carousal Inn area, I'd probably tell myself "I've walked this far, I might as well just head across the street".

While I wouldn't want to foot the bill for speedramps on my own, it seems like adding them to the budget that includes buying a disposable hotel for the property and building a bridge would be relative chump-change for the mouse. Wouldn't you think they'd want to get their guests into "the magic" as quickly and effortlessly as possible?

GiveMeTheMusic

Personally I would prefer a tram over a moving sidewalk.

I would not, only because DLR is so awful at running trams. The tram service has been horrific since day 1. It's almost always faster to walk unless the boarding area is empty when you arrive. Even then, you may wait 10 minutes for a tram to show up. It's the worst.

That's really funny--that so describes my experience at Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner restaurant this week. I finished my pie and the dinner dishes still hadn't been cleared from the table. We were in the corner next to the opening of the island shaped bar. We heard our server and the trainee shadowing him gossiping with the bartender and a busser about how much the staff at Club 33 make (no lie) and how the bartender used to work at Disney. I called the server over and told him that if he listened to me without interrupting, I would not call the manager. I very politely told him that the service was substandard, related what I wrote above, that I knew Disney CMs, and that earlier in my life I had over 10 years experience in this industry, including management. I said I had no desire to get him in trouble, but that he needed to know that this was not acceptable. As the service was consistently substandard, we left a tip of 10%, which I think was generous. My relative from out of state thought I let him off easy.

You can let them know next time that Club 33 servers used to make a lot of money. Since members were cut off from having additional membership cards lounge attendance has plummeted and two servers are assigned to tables in the dining room instead of one, resulting in half the tip for each server. It's not the cushy gig it once was.

The real money is at Goofy's Kitchen. Automatic 18% tip no one can avoid and all you have to do is refill orange juice. Someone has to die to open up a server spot in that joint.

D

Deleted member 107043

I would not, only because DLR is so awful at running trams. The tram service has been horrific since day 1. It's almost always faster to walk unless the boarding area is empty when you arrive. Even then, you may wait 10 minutes for a tram to show up. It's the worst.

You find a 10 minute wait for a tram troublesome? Considering the average waits inside the park that's nothing, especially if that's the maximum wait time. My experience with parking lot trams at DLR is limited, but I've never experienced any issues with them.

GiveMeTheMusic

You find a 10 minute wait for a tram troublesome? Considering the average waits inside the park that's nothing, especially if that's the maximum wait time. My experience with parking lot trams at DLR is limited, but I've never experienced any issues with them.

Ideally, it should be quicker to take the tram then to walk. It usually isn't for an able bodied individual. That's a low service standard that hasn't been addressed in 15+ years, but it goes hand in hand with the structure itself, which Eisner famously took credit for designing. He should stick to his day job.

I will be curious to see what, if any, transport options are included in the new structure. Moving sidewalks would seem to be the most efficient for the distance needed to be covered.

MoonRakerSCM

The trams at Disneyland are beyond terrible and operated in the most idiotic manner. I've been so baffled by how horrible they are I've actually devoted time to simply hanging out and watching the entire operation to understand WHY it is so bad. There is no sense to anything they do, the trams operate without direction from anyone making sense of what the current demand is on either side of the tram path... it's just, horrible. There's a lot of fine details that just make NO sense but the trams do it. Considering the end product is very simple, move bodies to and from point A to point B, it's as if the trams are operated by idiots.

Californian Elitist

I'm also not a fan of parking in Mickey & Friends and taking the trams, especially when leaving the park. I agree, walking is faster.

My family and I prefer parking in Toy Story and bussing it in.

Phroobar

If you want to see idiotic tram movement check out Magic Mountain. We once stood waiting for a bus tram in their parking lot for a half hour in 105 degrees as we watch bus after bus completely pass us. None of them were full. We even had one bus driver yell at us to start walking because they weren't going to pick us up. Finally one decided to stop. MM parking is more expensive than Disneyland's.

Stevek

Personally I would prefer a tram over a moving sidewalk.
This is what we need!

wall-e-hoverchairs.png

Stevek

I'm also not a fan of parking in Mickey & Friends and taking the trams, especially when leaving the park. I agree, walking is faster.

My family and I prefer parking in Toy Story and bussing it in.
I think we've only parked in M&F once in our past 50 visits. I find Toy Story to be so much easier, especially when it's time to head home for the night.

Californian Elitist

I think we've only parked in M&F once in our past 50 visits. I find Toy Story to be so much easier, especially when it's time to head home for the night.

It's great, isn't it? I swear, waiting for a tram after a long day at the parks is very frustrating and just not fun. The crowds waiting to get on the Toy Story buses just don't compare to the tram crowds. Not only is Toy Story easier, but it is more peaceful as well.

Variable

This is what we need!

wall-e-hoverchairs.png

Its very close to the reality in the US and - IMHO - THE primary reason Wall-E is not seen much in the parks.
Its not a pretty image and a majority of guests fit that image. Just a fact. (not a personal attack or judgement etc etc etc. I don't need to hear about hidden disabilities, medication reactions, blah blah, bad thyroids and what not. Facts are facts).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom