Disneyland Resort Buys Even More Property

mickEblu

Waiting for a tram at the end of the day sucks! But... I actually enjoy the tram boarding area at Mickey And Friends. I've never had to wait more than 5 minutes and all of the trees make for a pleasant little area. Plus who's not in a good mood when your arrive at the park?

Stevek

Its very close to the reality in the US and - IMHO - THE primary reason Wall-E is not seen much in the parks.
Its not a pretty image and a majority of guests fit that image. Just a fact. (not a personal attack or judgement etc etc etc. I don't need to hear about hidden disabilities, medication reactions, blah blah, bad thyroids and what not. Facts are facts).
I think it's a bit unfair to say that the majority of guests fit that but it's definitely true that our society as a whole is much heavier than 10, 20, 60 years ago and you very much see it within the more "hardcore" fanbase when they post group pictures. As you say, not a judgement of anyone...I could stand to lose 30lbs myself.

Longhairbear

My gosh that map is helpful. The only thing they forgot to put in was the "Expansion Pad" that will be left between Star Wars Land and Toontown, that is rumored to be the location of the Frozen ride's warehouse building. Thanks for linking that for us! I thought Mouseinfo died five years ago. I used to post there in the early 2000's when "Marcie" was the anti-Lutz and we all assumed she was Cynthia Harriss in disguise posting from her Laguna Beach lair trying to claim DCA 1.0 was "fabulous!".

Bus loading plaza moves to the purple "Parking Structure Phase 1" site. The light blue USCIS block is future expansion of the parking structure itself.

A few years ago that entire Esplanade area was rumored to be the site of a fancy new Disney hotel, accessed via Harbor Blvd. They obviously moved that fourth hotel concept over to the Downtown Disney surface parking lots, freeing up that Harbor Blvd. land for park expansion. A brilliant move, really.

The only area needed for foot traffic is already noted on that map above and in the Miceage Update this week. It's the pink "Guest Access" corridor that leads from the Harbor skybridge directly to the theme park entry plaza.
The crowd I hung out with back then knew "Marcie", but would never reveal who she was. They hinted that she was inside the company.

Variable

I think it's a bit unfair to say that the majority of guests fit that but it's definitely true that our society as a whole is much heavier than 10, 20, 60 years ago and you very much see it within the more "hardcore" fanbase when they post group pictures. As you say, not a judgement of anyone...I could stand to lose 30lbs myself.

Well it's not a question of fairness. So perhaps arguable is a better choice there.

We could stand on Main Street and start counting I guess. For the sake of amenity I'll pull back to "a substantial number"

Phroobar

True, it was in addition to what you said. I wonder in the long run if moving sidewalks are cheaper to maintain and operate over buses or trams.

NobodyElse

Moving walkways can be pretty useful. Think of some of the modern terminals in some of our airports. Example at LAX:
Tom_Bradley_moving_sidewalks.jpg

The ramps themselves can be fairly wide (allowing for standing or passing) and there is always a regular stationary sidewalk as an option. This setup shows one ramp for each direction, but a third could be installed to allow two in one direction during peak periods. I wouldn't mind seeing something like this tastefully incorporated into the bridge over Harbor (assuming the bridge itself actually started somewhere close to the parking structure.

NobodyElse

Trams.... The trams have a lot going for them. I believe with the newer mules, they're fairly efficient. They can move a lot of people at a time (I'm sure somebody around here has actual capacity numbers). Theoretically in the time it takes for five people to find their seats on a bus, an entire tram can be loaded. (Bonus point: Since I was a kid watching the old trams make turns in the main parking lot, I've found the way the trailers track to be magical. That design remains unchanged.) Since they are not on a track like train or people mover, breakdowns shouldn't cause the entire system to come to a halt.

But, like many of you here, I find myself scratching my head in regards to their current operation. I'm sure some of the issues stem from budget/staffing choices. Others were design choices.

For instance, it would appear that both ends were set up with horse-shoe designs, allowing one leg to be used for unload, and the next leg for load. For some reason, I seldom see them utilized that way, and riders find themselves unloading into a crowd of people anxious to load. Also, since the route was designed from scratch, I'm not sure why they didn't incorporate a way of having simultaneous load from one side of the tram and unload on the other.

I may stop by next week and observe things for a bit.

Variable

True, it was in addition to what you said. I wonder in the long run if moving sidewalks are cheaper to maintain and operate over buses or trams.

I don't know. I was recently in Raleigh, RDU has them in Terminal 2. (fairly short runs). I've been in several other airports where the distances are long between terminal and parking garage. Citywalk of course. I see an architect has proposed a huge wide moving sw in lieu of more subway in some area of London.

But I'm also pretty well experienced in the conveyor belt world (heavy construction) and a belt is a belt, bully's drives, gear boxes, wear and tear. Its amazing how quickly something can jam and slice through a belt.

Variable

Trams.... The trams have a lot going for them. I believe with the newer mules, they're fairly efficient. They can move a lot of people at a time (I'm sure somebody around here has actual capacity numbers). Theoretically in the time it takes for five people to find their seats on a bus, an entire tram can be loaded. (Bonus point: Since I was a kid watching the old trams make turns in the main parking lot, I've found the way the trailers track to be magical. That design remains unchanged.) Since they are not on a track like train or people mover, breakdowns shouldn't cause the entire system to come to a halt.

But, like many of you here, I find myself scratching my head in regards to their current operation. I'm sure some of the issues stem from budget/staffing choices. Others were design choices.

For instance, it would appear that both ends were set up with horse-shoe designs, allowing one leg to be used for unload, and the next leg for load. For some reason, I seldom see them utilized that way, and riders find themselves unloading into a crowd of people anxious to load. Also, since the route was designed from scratch, I'm not sure why they didn't incorporate a way of having simultaneous load from one side of the tram and unload on the other.

I may stop by next week and observe things for a bit.

In my view the trams, at MK, suffer in load/unload due to the refit of the doors. Its natural I think, had the cars been designed ground up for doors, today's larger people, larger strollers, they almost certainly would be configured better. Are DL larger space? easier to load?

So certainly a re-visioning, clean paper design could address the bottlenecks.
Maybe electric tug and shorter trains (less mass to pull), but more tram in number so frequency the same if not higher. You know, get that quick load and go.

TP2000

The crowd I hung out with back then knew "Marcie", but would never reveal who she was. They hinted that she was inside the company.
Fascinating. She slipped into the ether and went silent after most of Al Lutz's overall thesis on Cynthia Harriss and Pressler was proven correct by words and actions from the execs that replaced them in 2005-07.

Al Lutz won the war.

Phroobar

Hi. We're from Disney and it would good if you "retire" now so we can level the motel you've worked at for thirty years and put in a walk way. That would be great. No hard feelings. Have a fast pass for It's Tough to be a Bug.

D

Deleted member 107043

Hi. We're from Disney and it would good if you "retire" now so we can level the motel you've worked at for thirty years and put in a walk way. That would be great. No hard feelings. Have a fast pass for It's Tough to be a Bug.

Why not blame the original owners? No one forced them to sell their property.

PacNWTigger

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom