Disney to Reveal Ambitious Star Wars Plans

PhotoDave219

It seems to me that the main reason they have not announced anything yet is because they are tying in so many elements from the new Star Wars movies and there are probably some spoiler-ish things going into the land and the stories behind the attractions. They must be waiting for (at least) the first movie to be released before announcing any details to the public. Although I would agree that, they could at least share some details about the scope/size/schedule of the project (if they have even finalized that). Perhaps these are the sorts of details we will get first and then as the story lines from the films unfold more details about the specific attractions will be made available.

This is just my opinion, but it is what makes the most sense to me right now.

And you are correct!

JediMasterMatt

Well, the only bright side is that when they took their first try to the Board of Directors, they were told no. No because of how much it cost - rather the opposite. They were told to try again because they weren't ambitious enough.

That anecdote gives me hope for all my fanboy dreams to come true.....

My birdies inside the Lucas empire told me that this is story isn't entirely accurate. It wasn't ambition in terms of ride systems and technology or projected budget, it was more in terms of use of the license and the vast universe of potential.

However, if "not ambitious enough" story is true from a purely here are our plans and the Board said - spend more; then I can only respond by saying - what do they expect out of the Imagineers after decades of value engineering hack and slash ideas?

Ambition should be the one attribute that should never enter be lacking at Disney Imagineering; but, they've been beaten down so much that you couldn't blame them if Star Wars land proposal 1.0 was a themed spinner and a restaurant... oh, and a bathroom themed as well.

I've given all the information I know. Heard Lord Vader went to the Imperial Senate to ask for funding of the revised plans and thats the last I've heard.

Hell, I'm going on internet vacation around halloween to avoid spoilers. I'll be back once the movie comes out.

If you are trying to stay pure, you'll need to bail out now. Most of the mystery box has been revealed and it's going to escalate pretty quickly from here. By Halloween, printed materials (like the novel and other periodicals with long lead times) will be on the open market.

Don't worry though, I've been in the loop for well over the last year and I don't think anything can stop this hype train from reaching station. My friends at this point in the Episode I days were already sounding the alarms. Not with this one. Based on what I know, The Force Awakens is exactly what all SW fans want... with one exception.

bhg469

My birdies inside the Lucas empire told me that this is story isn't entirely accurate. It wasn't ambition in terms of ride systems and technology or projected budget, it was more in terms of use of the license and the vast universe of potential.

However, if "not ambitious enough" story is true from a purely here are our plans and the Board said - spend more; then I can only respond by saying - what do they expect out of the Imagineers after decades of value engineering hack and slash ideas?

Ambition should be the one attribute that should never enter be lacking at Disney Imagineering; but, they've been beaten down so much that you couldn't blame them if Star Wars land proposal 1.0 was a themed spinner and a restaurant... oh, and a bathroom themed as well.

If you are trying to stay pure, you'll need to bail out now. Most of the mystery box has been revealed and it's going to escalate pretty quickly from here. By Halloween, printed materials (like the novel and other periodicals with long lead times) will be on the open market.

Don't worry though, I've been in the loop for well over the last year and I don't think anything can stop this hype train from reaching station. My friends at this point in the Episode I days were already sounding the alarms. Not with this one. Based on what I know, The Force Awakens is exactly what all SW fans want... with one exception.
No ewoks?

Bairstow

No ewoks?

Too late for that.

dsb203129LARGE.jpg

Kman101

I've given up even hoping for anything in regards to Star Wars at DHS or whatever it's new name will be. I'm just ignoring it and will be pleasantly surprised whenever in the next decade something is announced and maybe built. I wish I could say how shocked I am that they keep delaying this but with those in charge, I'm not at all shocked.

I don't think Iger has much to do with this though. Why would DL get a greenlight and not DHS? It has to be TDO dragging their feet and not wanting to pull the trigger. And then Glendale/Burbank whoever just not forcing the issue like they should. Am I close? Wrong?

It's also funny to me that DL would get a Star Wars section before the park that should get it first. It's sad to me that there's no one pushing groundbreaking attractions and investments stateside.

Mike S

I've given up even hoping for anything in regards to Star Wars at DHS or whatever it's new name will be. I'm just ignoring it and will be pleasantly surprised whenever in the next decade something is announced and maybe built. I wish I could say how shocked I am that they keep delaying this but with those in charge, I'm not at all shocked.

I don't think Iger has much to do with this though. Why would DL get a greenlight and not DHS? It has to be TDO dragging their feet and not wanting to pull the trigger. And then Glendale/Burbank whoever just not forcing the issue like they should. Am I close? Wrong?

It's also funny to me that DL would get a Star Wars section before the park that should get it first. It's sad to me that there's no one pushing groundbreaking attractions and investments stateside.
It's been said before, by @PhotoDave219 I believe, that TDO doesn't have power like they used to. Major decisions come from Burbank.

PhotoDave219

Glendale. Say it with me. Tom Staggs and whatever his flakey replacement is called make all the decisions when it comes to P&R.

Kalagridis is simply here to maintain the profit margins and ensure the money keeps rolling in.

Kman101

Glendale. Say it with me. Tom Staggs and whatever his flakey replacement is called make all the decisions when it comes to P&R.

Kalagridis is simply here to maintain the profit margins and ensure the money keeps rolling in.

Thanks for the clarity. I assumed Kalgoridis or whatever had no say. I know many of these people are simple figureheads who basically do the paperwork.

I was just curious because so many seem to be under the belief that Iger's the one who has all this say and frankly I don't see him all that involved as people make him out to be or inexplicably want him to be. He's not hands on like Eisner and I wish more realized that. I see people grumble "Iger's to blame for no Star Wars in DHS" and to me, that's not really true. I guess to some degree it is ...

Clearly management as a whole is a big problem in the Disney company. It's clear they lack any will to take a risk and it's a shame.

PhotoDave219

Thanks for the clarity. I assumed Kalgoridis or whatever had no say. I know many of these people are simple figureheads who basically do the paperwork.

I was just curious because so many seem to be under the belief that Iger's the one who has all this say and frankly I don't see him all that involved as people make him out to be or inexplicably want him to be. He's not hands on like Eisner and I wish more realized that. I see people grumble "Iger's to blame for no Star Wars in DHS" and to me, that's not really true. I guess to some degree it is ...

Clearly management as a whole is a big problem in the Disney company. It's clear they lack any will to take a risk and it's a shame.

It's my understanding that they're mostly waiting on the reception of the movie. I've been told that for awhile.... And it frustrates me as much as you.

Kman101

It's my understanding that they're mostly waiting on the reception of the movie. I've been told that for awhile.... And it frustrates me as much as you.

It's frustrating because Star Wars CLEARLY brings in the money and the people yet they are STILL waiting on the reception of the movie, from a franchise that has thrived for 30 years? It's just mind boggling ... lol. And really sad when you think about it.

Is it a matter of them going with theming the area to more tie-in to the newer movie(s) and if the movie bombs (LOL, yeah, right --- but Disney seems to have zero faith in every movie they release and act all shocked when it's a hit. Frozen springs to mind) then they go with no land or a land based on the older trilogy? I mean, I and probably everyone else can come up with them simply going with Tatooine and giving us something incredibly basic yet it would still end up being a huge hit.

Either way it makes no sense to me but the way they run things makes little sense to me. Even from a business standpoint. It's too bad they forgot the old saying "if you build it, they will come" which = $$

I mean, most of us on here can come up with better ideas than what they throw at us. Anyway ... I'll shut up because I know you share the frustration.

Mike S

They wouldn't need to wait if they had faith in their product. I mean, it's Star Wars. Seems like they're avoiding any mistakes the prequels made and the hype is through the roof. I have faith that this will be a great movie. Other fans have faith. Why doesn't Disney?

What @Kman101 said ^

PhotoDave219

It's frustrating because Star Wars CLEARLY brings in the money and the people yet they are STILL waiting on the reception of the movie, from a franchise that has thrived for 30 years? It's just mind boggling ... lol. And really sad when you think about it.

Is it a matter of them going with theming the area to more tie-in to the newer movie(s) and if the movie bombs (LOL, yeah, right --- but Disney seems to have zero faith in every movie they release and act all shocked when it's a hit. Frozen springs to mind) then they go with no land or a land based on the older trilogy? I mean, I and probably everyone else can come up with them simply going with Tatooine and giving us something incredibly basic yet it would still end up being a huge hit.

Either way it makes no sense to me but the way they run things makes little sense to me. Even from a business standpoint. It's too bad they forgot the old saying "if you build it, they will come" which = $$

I mean, most of us on here can come up with better ideas than what they throw at us. Anyway ... I'll shut up because I know you share the frustration.

Didn't Disney suggest during Celebration that Ep7 could be the first $4 Billion dollar movie?

Kman101

Didn't Disney suggest during Celebration that Ep7 could be the first $4 Billion dollar movie?

Did they? I've not really read up on any of that and more or less avoided this entire thread because it frustrates me.

They just give me the impression that they never have faith in any movie they release and then become shocked when it does so well. Even their "flops" aren't truly flops in the grand scheme of things.

I don't want them to over inflate their expectations on Star Wars. I think it stands to do incredibly well ...

OSUgirl77

Surely you jest. That's way too high an expectation. If it did happen though it'll pretty much guarantee an amazing, blow our minds, spared no expense Star Wars Land sooooooo............
But would it? Or would Disney still cut corners as they've done with everything else? I'd love to see something amazing at DHS just as much as everyone, but I just can't get my hopes up anymore.

PhotoDave219

Did they? I've not really read up on any of that and more or less avoided this entire thread because it frustrates me.

They just give me the impression that they never have faith in any movie they release and then become shocked when it does so well. Even their "flops" aren't truly flops in the grand scheme of things.

I don't want them to over inflate their expectations on Star Wars. I think it stands to do incredibly well ...

Knocking Avatar off is a realistic possibility. $3B worldwide is possible.
Surely you jest. That's way too high an expectation. If it did happen though it'll pretty much guarantee an amazing, blow our minds, spared no expense Star Wars Land sooooooo............

I swear I heard that from Iger.... but maybe he was joking.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom