Disney to Give Out Free Insect Repellent to Fight Zika Virus

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Has anyone read of or heard something similar for the cruise line? Given the outbreak in Puerto Rico and that the Virgin Islands have also been identified as a hot spot, it would be great for Disney to provide the same for their cruise guests. I read somewhere that DCL will provide info for passengers, not sure if it's going to be a letter, email or a notice in the health form. We leave in 33 days for our cruise. In addition to the gallons of sunscreen we bring, we will also be packing some Deep Woods Off.
They are preparing, yes.

21stamps

Has anyone read of or heard something similar for the cruise line? Given the outbreak in Puerto Rico and that the Virgin Islands have also been identified as a hot spot, it would be great for Disney to provide the same for their cruise guests. I read somewhere that DCL will provide info for passengers, not sure if it's going to be a letter, email or a notice in the health form. We leave in 33 days for our cruise. In addition to the gallons of sunscreen we bring, we will also be packing some Deep Woods Off.
Didn't you get the email from DCL? I posted mine on another thread. It just basically included the CDC warning and what precautions to take. I thought it was good that they sent it though.

I'm sure all Caribbean routes will be selling plenty of mosquito repellent, on all lines.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Didn't you get the email from DCL? I posted mine on another thread. It just basically included the CDC warning and what precautions to take. I thought it was good that they sent it though.

I'm sure all Caribbean routes will be selling plenty of mosquito repellent, on all lines.

No, I didn't get that email. The most recent email I received from DCL was the standard email about packing tips, Pirates Night, ground transportation, etc.

Yeah, I'm sure they will have repellent for sale on the ships. Just wondering if it will be at cruise ship prices. Would be nice, though, if they put a travel size container in each stateroom, like it sounds they are doing at the resorts.

Goofyernmost

It's a good idea I guess, but, it seemed a little vague to me if Disney was actually financing that or if they are just stocking up on supplies to be purchased. I can understand them wanting to fend off as much negativeness as possible, but, I, frankly, am surprised that they are taking it upon themselves to finance the medical care of others especially since no court in the land would hold them responsible for an outbreak of a virus.

Also, sure that could be a real good reason for them to fill up the pool at this time at River country since stagnant water is a great breeding ground for those pesky little critters. But, that is just PR spin. With all the swamp land in and around the property that is like peeing in the ocean and waiting for the level to rise.

On a separate note, in all my trips I don't remember ever being bitten by a mosquito even once. Must be they don't like dead meat. :joyfull:

Matt7187

It's a good idea I guess, but, it seemed a little vague to me if Disney was actually financing that or if they are just stocking up on supplies to be purchased. I can understand them wanting to fend off as much negativeness as possible, but, I, frankly, am surprised that they are taking it upon themselves to finance the medical care of others especially since no court in the land would hold them responsible for an outbreak of a virus.
Maybe they actually just, ya know, care about their guests. Shocking, right... :rolleyes:

Goofyernmost

Maybe they actually just, ya know, care about their guests. Shocking, right... :rolleyes:
I have spent enough time following the current political events to not rule out any possibility. I have seen more things that I thought impossible this year then any other year in my life. So... could be!

orky8

Also, sure that could be a real good reason for them to fill up the pool at this time at River country since stagnant water is a great breeding ground for those pesky little critters. But, that is just PR spin. With all the swamp land in and around the property that is like peeing in the ocean and waiting for the level to rise.

On a separate note, in all my trips I don't remember ever being bitten by a mosquito even once. Must be they don't like dead meat. :joyfull:

Court wouldn't. But a Zika outbreak (or even just one locally acquired infection) at WDW would impact revenue. I'm actually a bit surprised this hasn't become a bigger issue already.

Goofyernmost

I don't believe it has been implied otherwise o_O
I sort of implied it because even though I read through the article quickly, I didn't really get the absolute feeling that Disney was actually supplying that stuff for everyone to use, cost free. All I got from it was that it was going to be available so if you wanted bug spray, it would be there. It could also be a free thing because Disney does indeed have a lot to lose if numbers drop due to public fear. So it could be either.

What it boils down to is that either I missed the wording that explicitly states that it will be a no charge action or it was left intentionally vague. I don't really know. It might have even been that I read it wrong. Yea, that could happen.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I sort of implied it because even though I read through the article quickly, I didn't really get the absolute feeling that Disney was actually supplying that stuff for everyone to use, cost free. All I got from it was that it was going to be available so if you wanted bug spray, it would be there. It could also be a free thing because Disney does indeed have a lot to lose if numbers drop due to public fear. So it could be either.

What it boils down to is that either I missed the wording that explicitly states that it will be a no charge action or it was left intentionally vague. I don't really know. It might have even been that I read it wrong. Yea, that could happen.
I believe in the OP it states " complimentry (sp) insect repellant "

Goofyernmost

I believe in the OP it states " complimentry (sp) insect repellant "
If so, I must have missed that part. Great... I think it's a great idea and no matter what the motivation will save a lot of anxiety over the next little while. I wasn't trying to be nasty, I just was not sure if that is what was happening or just a really cleverly worded PR statement.

Last edited:

21stamps

No, I didn't get that email. The most recent email I received from DCL was the standard email about packing tips, Pirates Night, ground transportation, etc.

Yeah, I'm sure they will have repellent for sale on the ships. Just wondering if it will be at cruise ship prices. Would be nice, though, if they put a travel size container in each stateroom, like it sounds they are doing at the resorts.
This is what I received last week... I think a lot of people have been worried about West Nile etc for quite some time, and have already been taking these precautions..I know that I've gone thru more bug spray than I usually do.

What itinerary are you doing? Depending on where you are going it could be a reason for not receiving the email, if those areas aren't in an affected region.

Unfortunately, I don't see DCL, or any line, ever providing us with bottles of Off in our staterooms. I'm sure they are intending this email as our notice of what we should bring.

We appreciate you booking a Disney Cruise Line vacation.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a travel alert for countries and territories in Latin American and the Caribbean where Zika virus, a mosquito related illness, has been found. They have also issued specific guidance for people living in or traveling to a specific neighborhood in Miami.

The precautions recommended by the CDC are similar to those to prevent other mosquito borne illnesses like dengue fever, chikungunya, and West Nile virus and include wearing long-sleeved shirts and long pants and using insect repellents containing DEET to avoid mosquito bites. While the most common symptoms are usually mild and include fever, rash, joint pain and pink eye, pregnant women should pay special attention to the travel alert and take necessary precaution to avoid mosquito bites.

Additional information can be found under the Travelers Health and Zika virus update sections of the CDC website at http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices andhttp://www.cdc.gov/zika.

Should you have any questions related to your sailing, please feel free to call us at 800-939-2784 or 407-566-7000.

Sincerely,

The Cast and Crew
Disney Cruise Line

Last edited:

SorcererMC

Good move, and unfortunately reinforces how close this is to becoming a huge issue for Florida.

Even though Zika will keep Florida in the national headlines, it won't necessarily have a large economic impact in the short-term ~3-4 months, because precautions can be taken, and because the daily case counts are likely to decline after September (concurrent with the tapering of mosquito season). South Florida is not reporting any significant impact yet as far as tourism goes.
(Here's just one example...nearly all articles I have seen are reporting the same. https://skift.com/2016/08/25/tourism-stakeholders-are-staying-calm-as-zika-spreads-in-florida/ ).

In terms of actual cases for Florida - transmission model projections were recently revised to show that the median number of locally-transmitted symptomatic cases by Sept 15 would be ~79 (95% confidence interval), ie <100 people. I would be very surprised if the number of locally-transmitted cases comes close to that number, as the current non-travel related case count is 42 (all Miami except for the 1 Pinellas case).
----------------
I see this as a preemptive measure, so that those planning visits 6+ months out (~Feb-March) will continue to plan and book those visits.

Crazydisneyfanluke

Good move on their part...but...does Central FL no longer have the bug trucks?

For those who don't remember them, they used to be a rather common sight, at least in the 90s (though, frankly, now that I think about it, I haven't seen them for years...) I seem to recall Disney used them a lot at one point...?

My county (manatee) uses helicopters and/or bi-planes to spread repellent. They have only started doing it again the last few months. Usually every 3rd day.

DrummerAlly

Go Disney. We are leaving shortly and I'll still be packing mine as we hoped to conceive another kid shortly after this trip. In all my trips to WDW over the years (15+ trips), I don't think I've ever seen a mosquito, period. How big of an issue is this really this year?

mgpan

Some U.S. parks (especially water parks) provide complimentary sunscreen and some even provide free fountain soft drinks to guests. It serves a purpose to say "we care" and in this case is a great move that is proactive. It has been posted that hand sanitizer was provided during an H1N1 scare, and this is similar. i would imagine there are commercial style dispensers as with sanitizer that would be easy and quick to use, and provide for a purchase of the repellents in bulk.

21stamps

Some U.S. parks (especially water parks) provide complimentary sunscreen and some even provide free fountain soft drinks to guests. It serves a purpose to say "we care" and in this case is a great move that is proactive. It has been posted that hand sanitizer was provided during an H1N1 scare, and this is similar. i would imagine there are commercial style dispensers as with sanitizer that would be easy and quick to use, and provide for a purchase of the repellents in bulk.
What water parks do you go to? We have obnoxiously priced drinks at ours. $3.99 for a bottle of water, $4.79 for a fountain drink.lol. I want to join yours!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
This is what I received last week... I think a lot of people have been worried about West Nile etc for quite some time, and have already been taking these precautions..I know that I've gone thru more bug spray than I usually do.

What itinerary are you doing? Depending on where you are going it could be a reason for not receiving the email, if those areas aren't in an affected region.

Unfortunately, I don't see DCL, or any line, ever providing us with bottles of Off in our staterooms. I'm sure they are intending this email as our notice of what we should bring.

We appreciate you booking a Disney Cruise Line vacation.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a travel alert for countries and territories in Latin American and the Caribbean where Zika virus, a mosquito related illness, has been found. They have also issued specific guidance for people living in or traveling to a specific neighborhood in Miami.

The precautions recommended by the CDC are similar to those to prevent other mosquito borne illnesses like dengue fever, chikungunya, and West Nile virus and include wearing long-sleeved shirts and long pants and using insect repellents containing DEET to avoid mosquito bites. While the most common symptoms are usually mild and include fever, rash, joint pain and pink eye, pregnant women should pay special attention to the travel alert and take necessary precaution to avoid mosquito bites.

Additional information can be found under the Travelers Health and Zika virus update sections of the CDC website at http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices andhttp://www.cdc.gov/zika.

Should you have any questions related to your sailing, please feel free to call us at 800-939-2784 or 407-566-7000.

Sincerely,

The Cast and Crew
Disney Cruise Line

We're doing a 3 night Bahamian cruise, so I guess that itinerary didn't warrant the email.

But I live in Florida and summer means sunscreen....and bug spray. :)

We are doing a 7 night cruise in April in the Eastern Caribbean. Hopefully by then, they will have developed a vaccine. I'm more worried about my daughter and son in law, as they are going to be in the starting a family mode next spring.

Aqueeta

It won't matter what Disney does because it is only a matter of time before ZIKA makes its way to Orlando and only a fool would jeopardize their baby's health by visiting such a place. One thing is certain, look for Disney to quickly reverse the negative attitude towards the locals because it will be their loyalty that keeps them afloat until this virus can be stopped.

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

It won't matter what Disney does because it is only a matter before ZIKA makes its way to Orlando and only a fool would jeopardize their baby's health by visiting such a place. One thing is certain, look for Disney to quickly reverse the negative attitude towards the locals because it will be their loyalty that keeps them afloat until this virus can be stopped.

My $250(ish) weekday annual pass does not make me feel like they have a negative attitude towards the locals.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom