Disney to Give Out Free Insect Repellent to Fight Zika Virus

AEfx

I can understand them wanting to fend off as much negativeness as possible, but, I, frankly, am surprised that they are taking it upon themselves to finance the medical care of others especially since no court in the land would hold them responsible for an outbreak of a virus.

I think "finance the medical care of others" is a bit far...it's just bug spray. I'm sure they got a great deal on the travel sized ones they are giving out (it's great free publicity for whatever brand they end up being).

In this case, I think it's more a case of "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". It's not going to cost Disney much, there is a massive public concern and Disney is being proactive in helping guests avoid it. It's going to hit Orlando any time now, and this was a smart move.

I just can't see any negatives here, they are doing the right thing at the right time, both for guests and for the reputation of the resort.

Goofyernmost

I think "finance the medical care of others" is a bit far...it's just bug spray. I'm sure they got a great deal on the travel sized ones they are giving out (it's great free publicity for whatever brand they end up being).

In this case, I think it's more a case of "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". It's not going to cost Disney much, there is a massive public concern and Disney is being proactive in helping guests avoid it. It's going to hit Orlando any time now, and this was a smart move.

I just can't see any negatives here, they are doing the right thing at the right time, both for guests and for the reputation of the resort.
I don't disagree, I just, knowing Disney's habit of charging for air if they could, would make it available but possibly charge for it. I see now that I misread that post and they are reported to be offering it for free. It makes sense, but, Disney hasn't been know for doing things that make a lot of sense lately, hence the skepticism that I expressed. I see now that I was wrong. That happens sometimes.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
It won't matter what Disney does because it is only a matter of time before ZIKA makes its way to Orlando and only a fool would jeopardize their baby's health by visiting such a place. One thing is certain, look for Disney to quickly reverse the negative attitude towards the locals because it will be their loyalty that keeps them afloat until this virus can be stopped.
@21stamps ... It lasted until page 3 :banghead:

-em

It won't matter what Disney does because it is only a matter of time before ZIKA makes its way to Orlando and only a fool would jeopardize their baby's health by visiting such a place. One thing is certain, look for Disney to quickly reverse the negative attitude towards the locals because it will be their loyalty that keeps them afloat until this virus can be stopped.

Well some of us live here & work here and can't up and leave the state until 'the threat' passes even when we ARE the 'in most danger' group (currently in 2nd trimester) so while I may be a 'fool' to you- I also know how to best protect myself here and know if everyone followed its still a safe place to visit..

SorcererMC

Disney is taking steps that do matter - they have ongoing mosquito control, and they are now encouraging their guests to take precautions by providing mosquito repellent. WDW is such a large property that it's important that guests have some knowledge of what they are doing. They are getting out in front of this public health threat which I see as the best course of action. (And they will likely court the favor of locals not due to Zika necessarily, but b/c international tourism may be down post-Brexit and due to the Rio Olympics).

mgf

Smart move. Zika in Orlando could have huge economic repercussions. Bug spray won't stop it but good that Disney is being proactive.

SorcererMC

Smart move. Zika in Orlando could have huge economic repercussions. Bug spray won't stop it but good that Disney is being proactive.

It could have a huge economic impact, but it doesn't have to. This is where responsible media coverage (providing the facts) and public awareness (knowing the facts) come into play.

Disney is doing their part to 1. Encourage guest awareness (without fear) and prevent mosquito vector silent transmission (which is why everyone should be using bug spray). and 2. Minimize any economic impact.

ETA: I'm just trying to clarify or reiterate what I think the intent of your post was? and not necessarily contradict what I think you were saying. The 'bug spray won't stop it' statement is misleading to me.

Last edited:

GrumpyFan

image.png
MDE has also been updated with the following notice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom