Disney to Give Out Free Insect Repellent to Fight Zika Virus

RMichael21

Original Poster
From the Orlando Sentential:

"Walt Disney World will start giving out free insect repellent throughout its resort Sunday, as the threat of Zika comes increasingly close to Orlando.

Disney confirmed it will have various types of insect repellent at its theme parks, at Disney Springs and the ESPN Wide World of Sports complex. There will also be aerosol cans in hotel rooms.

Signs will be posted letting people know the repellent is available.

'In an abundance of caution, we are accelerating preventative efforts throughout our property, including providing complimentary insect repellent to our Guests along with helpful guidelines from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention,'
Disney said in an emailed statement. 'We have an extensive mosquito-prevention and monitoring program in place, and we continue to work closely with local, state and federal experts on this topic.'"

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Good move on their part...but...does Central FL no longer have the bug trucks?

For those who don't remember them, they used to be a rather common sight, at least in the 90s (though, frankly, now that I think about it, I haven't seen them for years...) I seem to recall Disney used them a lot at one point...?

SirLink

Forgive my naiveness with this subject but didn't the World Health Organization say the Zika virus wouldn't spread, although we did well Rio Olympics should of been abandoned and no travel to or from Brazil.

erwinalber4

I'm sure the Monorails will smell wonderful at the end of the day.
On a serious note this is a great move on Disney's part especially since I never even think to have any of my own.

WhatJaneSays

For those who don't remember them, they used to be a rather common sight, at least in the 90s (though, frankly, now that I think about it, I haven't seen them for years...) I seem to recall Disney used them a lot at one point...?
They do. I see one around my neighborhood once or twice every season. (I'm sure they spray more I just miss it.) There are similar things at Disney but tend to be targeted to known problem areas.

admiral-ari-x

Now there's some of that higher class service I've been missing! It's a start :) This will definitely help to keep panic at bay, very good decision made.

peter11435

Disney still uses these trucks. In fact I saw one on Buena Vista Drive just the other day.

PhotoDave219

I saw one go down my street in 2014.... Saw it very late one night after another night of trivia.

PhotoDave219

Good move, and unfortunately reinforces how close this is to becoming a huge issue for Florida.

A side note, the people up here suggested planting citronella (scented geranium) plants and lemon herbs. Apparently it naturally repels mosquitos. Could be just a placebo effect but i seem to have noticed a significant decrease in mosquitos around the house.

Also makes the outside of the house have a slight lemony fresh smell.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Has anyone read of or heard something similar for the cruise line? Given the outbreak in Puerto Rico and that the Virgin Islands have also been identified as a hot spot, it would be great for Disney to provide the same for their cruise guests. I read somewhere that DCL will provide info for passengers, not sure if it's going to be a letter, email or a notice in the health form. We leave in 33 days for our cruise. In addition to the gallons of sunscreen we bring, we will also be packing some Deep Woods Off.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom