1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Disney Springs Plans: What do they mean?

Discussion in 'Disney Springs' started by WDW1974, Mar 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djkidkaz

djkidkaz Well-Known Member

From what I see there, it does nothing for me. It looks like more of what I can get anywhere else. I guess I'll just wait until I get more information from Disney about what stores and entertainment to expect. Either way, its shopping.

Im still waiting on more theme park attractions and lands.
  2. TravisMT81

TravisMT81 Well-Known Member

Where is this 200 page file?
  3. Skyway

Skyway Well-Known Member

My guess is that Disney WANTS to build a basic mall, putting it in competition with the outlets and other Orlando shopping centers.

The reason?

Brazillians.

Most feverishly stock up on regular merchandise while in the US, not just souvenirs, because their dollar goes so much further here and they have less retail back home.

A fullscale Disney mall would limit their need to rent a car/taxi and go on a shopping spree at Millenia, Florida Mall, etc.
  4. jmcl07

jmcl07 The Future Premium Member

That would be cool on a few different levels but it won't be happening, IMHO. I wish they did stuff like that but Disney just isn't looking to be forward thinking anymore. Way too much risk with that for the current regime.
    Genie of the Lamp likes this.
  5. afarese

afarese Well-Known Member

Wow I definitely can't go to a mall at home, time to book a trip to Disney so I can experience this!

Anyway, is their a timeframe on this? When will construction begin if they do decide to actually go through with this?
    LVgoN2WDW and The Empress Lilly like this.
  6. wm49rs

wm49rs A naughty bit o' crumpet Premium Member

Quite bothersome that Disney's primary focus of innovation right now is new means to get their visitors to spend more.....
    Tahu, lspicknall, sponono88 and 4 others like this.
  7. Genie of the Lamp

Genie of the Lamp Well-Known Member

TBD. Apparently they are still hammering out the final plans/details for this project.
    afarese likes this.
  8. SirLink

SirLink Well-Known Member

To be fair he did me a favor looking at the concept art looks like any modern shopping centre the world over, water/trees/benches and over priced fashion outlets.
  9. RandySavage

RandySavage Well-Known Member

Is the entire project being designed/conceived by Elkus Manfredi or is WDI co-producing? One would hope that the unique story-telling/theatricality/historiography that Imagineering can bring to the table would be utilized to create a groundbreaking retail/dining district.

A while ago I, non-seriously, conceptualized converting this whole area (using the 'official hotels' as parking decks) into a big 5th gate theme park, as high-quality parks are where Disney can differentiate (should they have the will), as opposed to the crowded, commonplace mall arena:
    [​IMG]
    Tahu, OFTeric, PeterAlt and 1 other person like this.
  10. Cody5242

Cody5242 Well-Known Member

I like it a lot. It has a lot of eye candy and I just can't wait to eat at the new restraunts!
  11. rudyjr13

rudyjr13 Well-Known Member

Credit to Touring Plans for that Tweet link btw
  12. alissafalco

alissafalco Premium Member

It looks pretty and nice but nothing that would motivate me to go. If I want to go to Sephora I'll do it at home.
  13. raven

raven Well-Known Member

Hyperion Wharf was haulted because they decided to revamp the entire DTD area rather than just PI. Along with the West Side and Disney Shopping Villiage, new areas will be called things like Gateway, The Landing, The Springs and Town Center.

Plenty of new restaurants with their own entertainment is in the plans and some outdoor entertainment for everyone to enjoy. A large parking structure will free up space for more room to grow. Here are a few retail and food vendors they are looking into at the moment but as always, things can change.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  14. Virtual Toad

Virtual Toad Well-Known Member

Looking at the pictures in the leaked plans... how is this *not* a shopping mall? What if anything will set this development apart? Shops and restaurants with a themed overlay... that's been done at malls all over the country for decades now. But they're still malls.

Where is the magic?

EDIT: @raven... sorry, one step behind today. Trader Sams would be a (pale) replacement for the AC but at least it would be something. If it happens. But really, "Food Truck Row?!"

Also, a lot of very vague or generic names on the list. Disney Burger? Italian Restaurant? Waiting to see what actually pans out.
    Tahu, SirLink, alissafalco and 4 others like this.
  15. wm49rs

wm49rs A naughty bit o' crumpet Premium Member

I appreciate the information (as always) Raven, but at least five of those vendors I can find in my local mall....
  16. TravisMT81

TravisMT81 Well-Known Member

Some good tentants some already over saturated tenants here in Orlando. Uniqulo would be unique to the south.
  17. raven

raven Well-Known Member

That may be true but WDW attracts a lot of international guests that would never visit your local mall.
  18. dcibrando

dcibrando Well-Known Member

I think this is HUGE and the more I hear and especially see from this the more I absolutely LOVE it (especially being an owner at SSR). Now with that being said, I'm not sure why people are so negative about this... this is NOT a 5th park and I really don't believe this is something that is supposed to attract people to go to Disney who otherwise wouldn't (do people vacate to UNI just because of Citywalk?). I think this is an addition Disney is making that will be great for visitors, and locals. Plus this may help some of the crowds in the parks

I REALLY hope as part of this they find a way to keep people off of the SSR busses from the theme parks as transportation to DTD - hopefully they'll do a pay per park thing and run busses direct from the parks to DTD
    Pusta100 and NoChesterHester like this.
  19. dcibrando

So? There's a Disney store 1.5 hours from my house too that doesn't mean they shouldn't have the World of Disney there. it works both ways - I think this will be bigger than some of you are negatively thinking - especially by looking at the concept art.
    RandomPrincess likes this.
  20. dcibrando

once again... this is NOT something IMO to make people want to go to Disney who otherwise wouldn't... just like I doubt the Robinson family isn't saying "we should go to UNI because of Citywalk"
    RandomPrincess and rioriz like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.