Disney Springs Plans: What do they mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I don't know how anyone has seen completed plans yet because there are still several variations in the works, complete WITH an I-4 entrance/exit AND trolly transportation featured in at least two of the layouts. I just saw about 5 different master plans for Disney Springs on Friday and nothing is in stone yet.

Considering where these plans came from, what they show and the level of development, I'm confident enough to say that this is the direction Disney is going.

No trolleys.

No I-4 work, which would naturally include the state and county government's involvement. Frankly, I'm not sure I'd want to see either. They look to be pouring way too much money into this as is. Funny, UNI built City Walk and while there have been places that have come and gone, they have never needed to fundamentally go in and alter the place.

Again, say what you want about Disney being incredibly cheap (because they are), but they sure don't mind spending billions when it comes to a giant datamining/trip planning/back of the house IT system, redoing a mall into ... well ... a mall and building countless hotel rooms and timeshares.

They just seem to have no conception of why any of that stuff exists to begin with. ... You know the four stale theme parks?

articos

That picture of vendors seems to support the "The Observatory = Edison" talk that there has been in another thread on here...

And that something was a codename for "American Girl"...

And I said that I thought that there would end up being permanent food trucks...
Observatory will not be the Edison space.
Wish it were Trader Vics instead.
I wish the old Trader Vic's at the Beverly Hilton was still Trader Vic's. The new one is a shadow of the original.
I get the sense, with the "elevated tracks" patios and such, that this is the final push in, er, pushing DTD nightlife to West Side rather than PI. Which I guess has happened by default already. Dividing the shopping/dining areas with a big separate-ticket nightlife area in the middle was the first DTD misstep back in the late 90s as I recall it...this, finally, is TDO's way of fixing that faux pas and doing it up the way it should have been done from the very beginning.
This is the first step in opening up the footprint to expansion in general, including the possibility of another entertainment district in the future. There are spaces in this plan that allow for 21+ after dark, giving options for adults. It's not PI, but it's a start.
Yes, but how many of those vendors are offered locally to them as well? One of the draws for WDW was the uniqueness of their offerings, be it the rides, attractions, dining or shopping.
This is one of the inevitabilities of building out a retail zone with outside vendors - eventually, over 5-20 years, it's going to be the same stores as what you have at home. That's why the idea of the Village was unique originally, but times have changed. Now we have world-wide chain stores. Those didn't exist in the 60s/70s.

WDW1974

Original Poster
It's in all of them. Much better than what people are describing or speculating nagetively about on here. It looks nothing like a "mall" at all.

No, it looks like an outdoor/indoor lifestyle shopping and dining center like the Americana in Glendale or a cheaper version of The Grove in LA.

Guess what? They're both VERY nice places. They're also at their heart -- malls.

That is what DD is today ... just one with a strong reliance on Disney owned shops and merchants and third party reliance on dining.

WDW1974

Original Poster
A solution to the current parking fiasco is welcome.

The rest....well put it this way: have they even set foot inside Hollywood Studios recently?

I've seen nothing to prove that having this structure will improve a parking fiasco that is GREATLY exaggerated by the fact no one wants to park further down than AMC or Splitsville and 90% of people want to be in front of WoD!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Where is this 200 page file?

I have it. It was passed on to me. I am not sharing it. Although I've been told that our old pal Tom WannaBe Lou Corless has (not apparently looking for any work with Disney in the future after the problems he caused with MM+ release) basically put them out ... so even though he has been spouting hate toward MAGIC (as usual), his site has the plans out.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Wow I definitely can't go to a mall at home, time to book a trip to Disney so I can experience this!

Anyway, is their a timeframe on this? When will construction begin if they do decide to actually go through with this?

Just a guess, but soon.

This SADLY is the big project splash they want to make as both SW and UNI open MAJOR attractions this summer and Disney has nothing. I would be very surprised (based on the plans I've seen and the folks I've talked to) if there isn't an announcement before the end of spring.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Disney has been fighting to keep their guests on their property for years. This is just another step in that direction. I personally don't see what's wrong with that.

This is the exact type of negativity that kept me from these boards for nearly a year.

Raven, after all this time you should know that my negativity about this news is by no means directed at you, or any other messenger. But rather the inability, unwillingness, or both of Disney to offer up much more for WDW than another means for its guests to spend their money. Instead of perhaps taking the radical concept of bringing more rides and attractions into all of the parks. But my reaction to this news was never personally directed towards you.

lazyboy97o

This is the problem with Disney's obsession with story and decoration. All this flash that will likely mean little, and what little it does mean will wither away as the shop lineup changes. Downtown Disney does not need ridiculous back stories, it needs honesty, heart and direction. The Village remains successful because it was so well designed for its purpose, not gussied up with extra nonsense. The Village is a masterpiece that has survived decades of fads and changing mall design standards.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Is the entire project being designed/conceived by Elkus Manfredi or is WDI co-producing? One would hope that the unique story-telling/theatricality/historiography that Imagineering can bring to the table would be utilized to create a groundbreaking retail/dining district.

WDI absolutely is involved. They are the ones who came up with the typical ridiculous backstory (because really, why can't a lifestyle complex be exactly that?!)

But there is nothing groundbreaking in this. It should be very nice, but I'd argue that DD is very nice now and that WDW has far greater needs.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Given the popularity of DTD's current offerings, IMHO it makes sense to expand its shopping and dining offerings. Even more sense to improve parking for it!

My DW wonders, though, what will the parking garage look like from the shops and SSR?

Hard to say, but I don't think it will be an eyesore type deal. I doubt you'll see it from most of SS.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Hyperion Wharf was haulted because they decided to revamp the entire DTD area rather than just PI. Along with the West Side and Disney Shopping Villiage, new areas will be called things like Gateway, The Landing, The Springs and Town Center.

Plenty of new restaurants with their own entertainment is in the plans and some outdoor entertainment for everyone to enjoy. A large parking structure will free up space for more room to grow. Here are a few retail and food vendors they are looking into at the moment but as always, things can change.

photo14.jpg

photo15.jpg

Can't help but notice how many are either generic or Disney or just space fillers ... 'Italian Restaurant' ... 'Walt's Place' ... ''Disney Burger' ...you wonder how many of these were just tossed out as concepts. They're going to have a lot of space to fill in a BAD retail market. And as much as I do NOT want to see more Disney locations, I fear we may get them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom