News Disney Riviera Resort announced

slappy magoo

Say what you want about Bay Lake Tower, but the small lobby and lounge areas are very beautiful, very modern, and a nice fit to the resort in general (I own there)...But this "Riviera" theme makes absolutely no sence being adjacent to a mid-range Caribbean themed hotel...and possibly sharing facilities with it. Thematically they should meld...

I don't think Pop Century and Art of Animation's themes meld all that well. And they're right next to each other, the location of AoA originally intending to represent the first half of the 20th "Pop" Century.

Bocabear

no, they were not actually planned to be next to each other...the second half of Pop Century was cancelled and it became Art Of Animation instead... It is not a great match-up but at least it is resort level/resort level appropriate... Not a mid level value resort next to a luxury level DVC resort...sharing facilities, but not theme at all...
So another example of a bad pairing does not make a compelling reasin to put a Riviera-themed Resort on the same property as a Caribbean Beach themed hotel....

ToInfinityAndBeyond

no, they were not actually planned to be next to each other...the second half of Pop Century was cancelled and it became Art Of Animation instead... It is not a great match-up but at least it is resort level/resort level appropriate... Not a mid level value resort next to a luxury level DVC resort...sharing facilities, but not theme at all...
So another example of a bad pairing does not make a compelling reasin to put a Riviera-themed Resort on the same property as a Caribbean Beach themed hotel....

"But...but...Beach = Water. Riveria = Water. So they fit together, right? Right, guys?" - Whoever Green-lit this probably

slappy magoo

Its actually amazing that Disney even announced it. They tend to not confirm new DVC resorts even while they are being built. (nothing to see here)
Especially if they are still selling the previous resort.

I guess the gondola station forced their hand since it may be done first.

The difference in that scenario is, Disney relased that art to be the image of what they were building... Royal Pacific doesn't use that picture of the back of the hotel room wing to show off their resort... Disney Showed what they thought was the best possible image ...

Just playing Devil's Advocate, I wouldn't be surprised if the decision to announce the Riviera, and include concept art, was, indeed, a last-minute decision. Because it's true, DVC tends to hold off on a big announcement of a new resort until they're much further in the building process. But I think the evolution of D23 is forcing them to rethink how they roll out news. Fans at D23 want to know everything about everything now, and I suppose for the amount of money they're spending to go there, they ought to get something. So this Riviera concept art might very well be something assembled quickly just to prove that yes, indeed, it's being built.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The difference in that scenario is, Disney relased that art to be the image of what they were building... Royal Pacific doesn't use that picture of the back of the hotel room wing to show off their resort... Disney Showed what they thought was the best possible image ...
I'm not saying Lowes would use that photo for advertising just that you need to see the whole resort before concluding there is no theme.

I still don't think the intent of releasing that photo was to show off the theme anyway. We here are jumping to conclusions on potential theme based off of the picture. If Disney wanted us to know all the details on the resort they would have spelled it out in both words and images. I guarantee you there will be more concept art realeased closer to the time of sales.

Epcot82Guy

"But...but...Beach = Water. Riveria = Water. So they fit together, right? Right, guys?" - Whoever Green-lit this probably

Clearly you are missing the obvious backstory. Peter Quill stayed at the Caribbean Beach when he visited EPCOT Center in late 1988. And, in his new alternate universe, the French Riviera IS in the Caribbean. So, problem solved! And, the Guardian's Rooftop Fireworks party will be killer! (for only $94.99 per person - 5% DVC member discount)

Communicora

Premium Member
For me, it's disappointment not hate. When I think of Disney resorts I think of interesting architecture and themes, inside and out. This image could be of any business hotel. Disney could do better.

As for DVC, I don't dislike it and would buy into it if my lifestyle and finances were a good match. I have a few friends who love their DVC membership and it seems to work well for them.

ToInfinityAndBeyond

Clearly you are missing the obvious backstory. Peter Quill stayed at the Caribbean Beach when he visited EPCOT Center in late 1988. And, in his new alternate universe, the French Riviera IS in the Caribbean. So, problem solved! And, the Guardian's Rooftop Fireworks party will be killer! (for only $94.99 per person - 5% DVC member discount)

Don't forget to book one the special Guardians overlay rooms in the new Riviera resort. It makes sense because when Peter Quill comes back to Earth in the Avengers 3 and 4, he visits the construction site and gives them some tips.

googilycub

But this "Riviera" theme makes absolutely no sence being adjacent to a mid-range Caribbean themed hotel...and possibly sharing facilities with it. Thematically they should meld...

Yep, every adjacent hotel at Disney should meld together thematically.

bw9348029834fi.jpg

1st half of the 20th century boardwalk and god awful late 80s teal walk hand and hand.....:facepalm:

Bocabear

Actually, the adjacent hotels, Yacht Club and Beach Club, DO meld...the Swan and Dolphin are behind them on another lake, owned by a different company...not truly Disney Hotels...nor do they share amenities...

peter11435

But what you keep ignoring/disagreeing with is the fact that Disney did not show the best artwork they have available here.

Bocabear

So where is the best artwork they have available?? and have you seen it? and is there indeed a discernable theme other than Generic Vacation Hotel?
Usually when you are doing a big splashy corporate cheerleading and press event, you do show the best artwork you have available... No one would ever have a huge press event and release a not so great piece of art as something to hype... you would ALWAYS lead with the best you have...

peter11435

So where is the best artwork they have available?? and have you seen it? and is there indeed a discernable theme other than Generic Vacation Hotel?
Usually when you are doing a big splashy corporate cheerleading and press event, you do show the best artwork you have available... No one would ever have a huge press event and release a not so great piece of art as something to hype... you would ALWAYS lead with the best you have...
Again... they do not want to hype.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Concept art is intended to elicit an emotional response and make people feel a certain way as much as showcase details of a new project. This art elicits very little or no emptional response. I think we all mostly agree on that. Where the disagreement comes in is on intent. If like you suggest, this is their best attempt at wowing people and getting a response than the resort will bomb. If on the other hand there's more to the resort that they are choosing not to reveal for sales reasons discussed in numerous posts then there's still a good chance it will have a theme and be a success.

The disagreement simply boils down to whether this is the best concept art or not. Arguments can be made on both sides. Its Ok to agree to disagree on that.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yep, every adjacent hotel at Disney should meld together thematically.

bw9348029834fi.jpg

1st half of the 20th century boardwalk and god awful late 80s teal walk hand and hand.....:facepalm:
The big 3 flagship resorts share a lakefront too. Standing on the beach "in the Polynesian" I look left and see a Victorian style resort. If I look right I see a "contemporary" style A-frame tower over top of some miniature pizza huts on the water. Those things were a DVC fail.

In fairness though this resort will be a lot closer to CBR than the big 3 are to each other. If the theme of this hotel turns out to be more "urban" luxury hotel it won't fit well. If it's a more tropical theme it will blend much better. It's not uncommon to stand on the beach on a Caribbean island and see the mid-rise hotel tower from the resort next door.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
One more thing to add on the possible theme. The name Riviera could mean a lot of different things. Here's a quick blurb from Wikipedia:
Riviera, pronounced [riˈvjɛːra], is an Italian word which means "coastline",[1][2] ultimately derived from Latin ripa, through Ligurian rivea.[3] It came to be applied as a proper name to the coast of Liguria, in the form riviera ligure, then shortened to riviera. The two areas currently known in English as "The Riviera" without additional qualification are:

Riviera may be also applied to any coastline, especially one that is sunny, topographically diverse and popular with tourists.[1][2] Such places called Riviera include:

Africa[edit]
Americas[edit]
Caribbean
  • Riviera Maya, the Caribbean coast of the Yucatán peninsula
Mexico

My guess is they aren't going for a French or Italian Riviera theme. Most likely the name is just in reference to the red underlined sentence above which still gives a lot of wiggle room for actual theme.

Kamikaze

You don't know if they thought it was the 'best possible image'. There is a possibility that there is something on the other side that gives something away that they don't want to mention yet. I don't see that as a good possibility, but it is one.

Disneyhead'71

To me it looks like they took a boxy interstate exit hotel slapped some fake copper "French" style roof caps on top and threw an Eiffel-esqe steelwork cover over the walkway and said it's umm "French...... Riviera...y". Then they tacked on some stone work to class the place up a bit.

That's ok. It better than the fake copper "French" roof cap on the Coronado tower. They musta gotten a "2For1" deal or something.

Here is what Universal is building right now. It is a contemporary themed value resort with a rooftop lounge. It doesn't look ANYTHING like the Fairfield Inn out by the interstate exit.
Universals-Aventura-Hotel-Entrance-Rendering.jpg

Last edited:

Bocabear

You don't know if they thought it was the 'best possible image'. There is a possibility that there is something on the other side that gives something away that they don't want to mention yet. I don't see that as a good possibility, but it is one.
There are a million possibilities...it's a possibility the architect sent over the wrong building illustration...It's a possibility they found this on the floor on their way over to the presentation...but it is most likely the hotel they are building...and as it will look. Of course they want to hype it...the whole idea of the event is to get the public excited about the new things that are coming...If they really didn't want to hype anything they would not have shown the image but mentioned in passing there may be a new resort on the horizon....they love being coy like that when they want to hold something back...not release a lackluster piece of art....

Kamikaze

There are a million possibilities...it's a possibility the architect sent over the wrong building illustration...It's a possibility they found this on the floor on their way over to the presentation...but it is most likely the hotel they are building...and as it will look. Of course they want to hype it...the whole idea of the event is to get the public excited about the new things that are coming...If they really didn't want to hype anything they would not have shown the image but mentioned in passing there may be a new resort on the horizon....they love being coy like that when they want to hold something back...not release a lackluster piece of art....

I do not doubt at all that it is the desired look of that side of the hotel. We just don't know any other details for sure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom