News Disney Riviera Resort announced

rob0519

Wow that is a great comparison, and yes...they have undershot the goal by scores...lol
I am not sure why they would even consider the Riviera theme when they are on the grounds of the Caribbean Beach Hotel...why not look towards the Caribbean for inspiration and build something iconic and beautiful...With a spectacular pool and amenities...Lazy river, the works... this is Disney... not Marriott....

This is the Disney of 2017, not the Disney of 1996. Walk into the lobby of the CR since it was remodeled and you'd think you were in a Hyatt or a JW Marriott. Disney is now all about ease of construction and maximized profit. Creativity, detail and immersion cost money. Finance, not Imagineering now runs the business. It's a shame for those of us that remember what it used to be, but first timers will accept this as the norm going forward.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
So I think it actually is going to be called Disney's Riviera Resort. When Chapek first says the name it just sounds like Disney, but if you listen closely he does slip in the 's:

And on the Skyliner map we see that the 's is clearly there, and I have a hard time believing they made a typo on the official logo.
View attachment 219409
I'm officially making this my prediction, and at some point we'll find out if I'm right. In the meantime we might as well correct this thread title @wdwmagic ! ;)

Almost sounded like some uncertainty on how to pronounce it.

The_Bellringer

Well I've been to the Italian Riviera, which looks nothing like this generic hotel. I was in Portofino, which looks like this:

14982460249_69782caee6_z.jpg

If they added some color maybe it could be better themed and kinda go with CBR.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Well I've been to the Italian Riviera, which looks nothing like this generic hotel. I was in Portofino, which looks like this:

14982460249_69782caee6_z.jpg

If they added some color maybe it could be better themed and kinda go with CBR.
Based on that one concept art picture I don't think they are going for Italian Riviera with this hotel. The architecture looks like it could be an attempt at French Riviera or they could still go with Mexican Riviera to blend with the Caribbean theme on the lake. If you try hard enough you can see some elements of this French Riviera hotel in the concept art:
IMG_0741.JPG

Notice the wrought iron over some of the windows and the rounded details on the roof. Those details look sorta similar to the concept art.

Bocabear

but the whole concept of Riviera , Italian, or French seems out of place and odd when it is built on the grounds of the Caribbean Beach Hotel...Mexican Riviera they have kind of already done with Coronado Springs....and quite frankly I am surprised the new hotel doesn't have "Springs" in the title as it seems they cannot come up with a new idea that doesn't include it...

Kamikaze

but the whole concept of Riviera , Italian, or French seems out of place and odd when it is built on the grounds of the Caribbean Beach Hotel...Mexican Riviera they have kind of already done with Coronado Springs....and quite frankly I am surprised the new hotel doesn't have "Springs" in the title as it seems they cannot come up with a new idea that doesn't include it...

Coronado is the American southwest ...

This has to be themed to the Mexican Riviera. That area is, after all, on the edge of the Caribbean. I wanted to look through resorts in that area and see if I could find one that was similar, but I just haven't had the time or inclination.

COProgressFan

So I think it actually is going to be called Disney's Riviera Resort. When Chapek first says the name it just sounds like Disney, but if you listen closely he does slip in the 's:

And on the Skyliner map we see that the 's is clearly there, and I have a hard time believing they made a typo on the official logo.
View attachment 219409
I'm officially making this my prediction, and at some point we'll find out if I'm right. In the meantime we might as well correct this thread title @wdwmagic ! ;)

Unless something changes it will be called Disney Riviera Resort. That is the current official name. The text on the slide is a typo in a generic font, not the resorts official logo.

Is it though? I couldn't find anywhere it says that besides fan websites. The Disney Parks Blog doesn't even have a post about the new resort...

It's a bit confusing and inconsistent. Several years back, it was decided that the possessive apostrophe s was apparently not necessary for the Disney brand. It was a completely nonsensical idea that usually leads to awkward phrasing like "Disney California Adventure" and advertisements for DVDs, for example, which read "Disney Dumbo" or the like.

For some reason, this grammatically incorrect idea stuck at the corporate level and in California, but there has never been any effort in Florida to remove all the apostrophe "s" from all the locations at WDW. So we still have "Disney's Typhoon Lagoon" or "Disney's Polynesian Village Resort".

It would be rather strange and inconsistent to call this "Disney Riviera Resort" while every single other resort or attraction on property uses "Disney's". But lots of strange decisions come out of the Walt Disney Company, so who knows.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
this grammatically incorrect idea

It is not grammatically incorrect. Nouns, and especially proper nouns, can be used adjectivally without the apostrophe-S, such as "The Smith family reunion."

I'm going on a Disney vacation!

I work for Disney imagineering.

Here's a little Disney magic.

The inner workings of Disney Parks and Recreation.

Disneyland.

I'm staying at the Disney Contemporary Resort.​

COProgressFan

It is not grammatically incorrect. Nouns, and especially proper nouns, can be used adjectivally without the apostrophe-S, such as "The Smith family reunion."

I'm going on a Disney vacation!

I work for Disney imagineering.

Here's a little Disney magic.

The inner workings of Disney Parks and Recreation.

Disneyland.

I'm staying at the Disney Contemporary Resort.​

Don't want to split hairs or argue this, but perhaps it's grammatically dubious? Your statements above aren't necessarily referring to Disney as possessive. "I'm staying at the Disney Contemporary Resort" is different from "I'm staying at Disney Riviera Resort" (without the "the"). And it actually is officially titled "Disney's Contemporary Resort".

For a decade it was called "Disney's California Adventure" -- possessive. For decades before that, resorts were (and still are) named with the possessive "Disney's". So the public has been trained to read it in that sense. Suddenly, they just decided to change it so Disney was no longer possessive and it now reads awkwardly. I get it, "Disney" is a brand just like "Walmart" is a brand, but that is another argument.

If nothing else, it would be inconsistent and unusual to brand one resort on property with "Disney" and every single other resort on property (and a few theme parks too!) as "Disney's".

peter11435

Don't want to split hairs or argue this, but perhaps it's grammatically dubious? Your statements above aren't necessarily referring to Disney as possessive. "I'm staying at the Disney Contemporary Resort" is different from "I'm staying at Disney Riviera Resort" (without the "the"). And it actually is officially titled "Disney's Contemporary Resort".

For a decade it was called "Disney's California Adventure" -- possessive. For decades before that, resorts were (and still are) named with the possessive "Disney's". So the public has been trained to read it in that sense. Suddenly, they just decided to change it so Disney was no longer possessive and it now reads awkwardly. I get it, "Disney" is a brand just like "Walmart" is a brand, but that is another argument.

If nothing else, it would be inconsistent and unusual to brand one resort on property with "Disney" and every single other resort on property (and a few theme parks too!) as "Disney's".
The intent with the missing 's is for it to no longer be possessive but rather branded. I agree with the inconsistent naming being awkward with so many other resorts on property still having the 's. But at least at this time the plan is for it to be called Disney Riviera Resort.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Your statements above aren't necessarily referring to Disney as possessive. "I'm staying at the Disney Contemporary Resort" is different from "I'm staying at Disney Riviera Resort" (without the "the").

I'm staying at Trump Tower. [And folks, don't risk the wrath of @The Mom by making a political comment.]

Even without the (in)definite article, nouns can be adjectivized. It's a noun thing. It more depends whether one gets used to hearing the noun used as a possessive, or used bare as a repurposed part of speech. It would be odd to hear: I'm staying at Trump's Tower.

If Disney were strictly consistent in never using "Disney's" again, then within a decade no one would be jolted by the bare 'Disney' used adjectivally. The problem here is Disney's inconsistency. That Disney inconsistency will drive people crazy.

RobbinsDad

Are we confident that after construction the two resorts will have a ground connection?

RobbinsDad

I'm staying at Trump Tower. [And folks, don't risk the wrath of @The Mom by making a political comment.]

Even without the (in)definite article, nouns can be adjectivized. It's a noun thing. It more depends whether one gets used to hearing the noun used as a possessive, or used bare as a repurposed part of speech. It would be odd to hear: I'm staying at Trump's Tower.

If Disney were strictly consistent in never using "Disney's" again, then within a decade no one would be jolted by the bare 'Disney' used adjectivally. The problem here is Disney's inconsistency. That Disney inconsistency will drive people crazy.
xgeko.jpg

peter11435

Without a doubt. They aren't going to take away the walkway around the lake.
Well, it's highly unlikely they would take it away. But we don't know that they won't. They've already removed the walkway around the lake for at least the next two years. Again I doubt they will cut the two off but at the same time I could see a desire to avoid having cbr guests constantly passing through and using amenities at the new resort. So at this point I would say unlikely but not without a doubt.

Regardless it's irrelevant if they connect or not because either way the themes don't have to be connected just as they aren't between the Polynesian and Grand Floridian.

jt04

Based on that one concept art picture I don't think they are going for Italian Riviera with this hotel. The architecture looks like it could be an attempt at French Riviera or they could still go with Mexican Riviera to blend with the Caribbean theme on the lake. If you try hard enough you can see some elements of this French Riviera hotel in the concept art:
View attachment 219539
Notice the wrought iron over some of the windows and the rounded details on the roof. Those details look sorta similar to the concept art.

Definitely get a French Riviera vibe from the concept art.

Kamikaze

Well, it's highly unlikely they would take it away. But we don't know that they won't. They've already removed the walkway around the lake for at least the next two years. Again I doubt they will cut the two off but at the same time I could see a desire to avoid having cbr guests constantly passing through and using amenities at the new resort. So at this point I would say unlikely but not without a doubt.

Regardless it's irrelevant if they connect or not because either way the themes don't have to be connected just as they aren't between the Polynesian and Grand Floridian.

I can see them opening just the actual walkway before too long. Once everything is graded and ready, there is little reason to keep it closed unless they're doing construction right near it.

I'm a little partial to that path. I did about 12 laps of it for my make up Dopey Half in Jan.

These resorts are a lot more on top of each other than Poly/GF. The location of Riviera basically sticks in in between two sides of CBR, so I can't see how/why they would keep it separate.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom