Disney Plans Gentler Mission: Space

Captain Chaos

Speedbird said:
First things first Pal. You've done nothing more than moan and whinge throughout this entire thread so don't don't start. If you're either unfit or scared to ride then tough. Deal with it. Personally, I can't ride M:S without anti-emetics because of ear operations left me motion sick on everything, coasters included, so I'm a spanner too. But I don't let my problems affect other people. Toughen up son for god sake.

Well... See, I wasn't whining about the change.. I actually commended it... I wasn't on here complaining and whining how this change was going to make my wait for the ride longer, how the people riding the tame version will not appreciate M:S, how this was going to be a nightmare for CMs... In fact, I feel bad for the CMs who now will have to deal with confusion, unless Disney does have a plan in palce to make the lines easy to decifer.. I said I like the idea because it will bring more people to an attraction that should have been bringing in guests... I don't see how that is whining...

I am neither unfit to ride it or scared to.. My choice not to ride it is because, I rode it once and, IMO, it stunk... Thrilling, sure is.. But over all, I did not care for it... The new lite version still probably won't get me on... But Disney obviously saw a need to change one centrifuge.. Whether it was all the complaints of sickness or something they planned from the beginning.. Now, if this is a success or not remains to be seen... I just happen to think the change is good for Disney and M:S.... no matter my feelings for the ride.

Lee

Adventurer
jmvd20 said:
Look I am not trying to be argumentative here but the fact still remains that you have no clue how much motion the ride is capable of and neither do I.
Ummm....yeah, actually I do.:rolleyes:

Timmay

TurnipHead said:
Ok please provide solid facts that I have egged on other members and directed rude comments to another user. You know what, in fact, I am done w/ arguing w/ you so please have a Magical Day, and have fun spending all of your time arguing over petty things on the board....:)

Sheesh...finally.:wave:

kcnole

Personally, I can't ride M:S without anti-emetics because of ear operations left me motion sick on everything, coasters included, so I'm a spanner too. But I don't let my problems affect other people. Toughen up son for god sake.

I know I said I was dropping out of this, but I guess I'm just not good at keeping my word. lol I just have to keep correcting the, well let's just call them misstatements of certain individuals on here.

I'm specifically speaking to this quoted line above: But I don't let my problems affect other people. Toughen up son for god sake.

Adding this option doesn't affect other people. In fact the only one's who are trying to affect other people are those who don't want anything changed regardless of the fact that the ride never runs at capacity, is unrideable for probably 50% of park guests while Disney figured it would be much higher, and two of the four bays are almost NEVER EVER used. So now Disney's finding a way to make use of those bays that are going to waste but there are those who are against it because they're offended that someone else is being forced to endure a non spin version.

It's like taking a movie that was made on high definition. The maker of the movie decides he wants it released to those who use normal televisions as well and the owners of high def tv's try and get it stopped because it hurts there sensibilities that someone might get a chance to see it and have it not in all its original glory like it's their right to decide how you should be allowed to view a product. Disney guests can be stupid, but they're not as stupid as you think. They understand they're riding a toned down version of the ride and if they don't get the high thrills most of them will realize it's because they didn't ride the high thrills version.

Like many of us have said. Let's at least wait and see the final product they come out with. It may not be able to give you the blast off feeling, but it may be at least kind of fun. It may not be an E-Ticket but it may be a C or D ticket and that's better than a no ticket which many of us currently get.

Captain Chaos

kcnole said:
I know I said I was dropping out of this, but I guess I'm just not good at keeping my word. lol I just have to keep correcting the, well let's just call them misstatements of certain individuals on here.

I'm specifically speaking to this quoted line above: But I don't let my problems affect other people. Toughen up son for god sake.

Adding this option doesn't affect other people. In fact the only one's who are trying to affect other people are those who don't want anything changed regardless of the fact that the ride never runs at capacity, is unrideable for probably 50% of park guests while Disney figured it would be much higher, and two of the four bays are almost NEVER EVER used. So now Disney's finding a way to make use of those bays that are going to waste but there are those who are against it because they're offended that someone else is being forced to endure a non spin version.

It's like taking a movie that was made on high definition. The maker of the movie decides he wants it released to those who use normal televisions as well and the owners of high def tv's try and get it stopped because it hurts there sensibilities that someone might get a chance to see it and have it not in all its original glory like it's their right to decide how you should be allowed to view a product. Disney guests can be stupid, but they're not as stupid as you think. They understand they're riding a toned down version of the ride and if they don't get the high thrills most of them will realize it's because they didn't ride the high thrills version.

Like many of us have said. Let's at least wait and see the final product they come out with. It may not be able to give you the blast off feeling, but it may be at least kind of fun. It may not be an E-Ticket but it may be a C or D ticket and that's better than a no ticket which many of us currently get.

:sohappy: Kudos kcnole...

Speedbird

kcnole said:

I recocognise and repect the sentiments above, but in reality it's not the same, really, is it. With the best will in the world it isn't.

What everyone seems to be missing is that Disney really doesn't give a rats if I ride or you ride or no-one rides. It's about $$$$$CASH$$$$$. Bad PR gives lower attendence. Lower attendence sell less Stitch toys, which is where the real money is made. This whole situation is been brought on as a public relations stunt. Will it work for ride attendence? Maybe in the short term but no, but no-one will will notice as long as no-one else dies. Will attendence rise? Maybe, let's see. I'll stop on this thread now as too many people are getting upset, which I must admit I find very funny, but it's getting out of hand now. After all, it's only a ride, it's not like it's real life or anything!!

Have fun!:lol:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So... spend $150 million on an attraction. Fair enough, it`s 4 duplicates of the same one, so the real ride budget would maybe half that (Splash Mountain would be worth $300 million if they built 3 copies side by side)

Then.... disable the functions of one of them. Remove 25% of the designded ride capacity. I can only prey this is temporary until - if successful - a fifth simulator, with the same audio, visuals and axis of movement minus the `fuge, is built behind the show shed. Afterall, there is a lot of space available compared to its predecessor.

It`s no secret M:S isn`t the next level show stopper TWDC hoped it would be. It looks unlikely to be cloned, as originally planned. Add the negative press and it is looking more of a loose loose situation. Loose a centrifuge and there are cries of "it`s a waste" and "Disney admits M:S too intense" (my words, not the papers). Keep 4 `fuges spinning and the cries are "It`s too intense" and "People get injured on that thing".

I don`t doubt for a minute the ride will stay open. I do think this is becoming a major issue of which there isn`t a clear, clean answer. No, I havn`t ridden it yet. I wish I could. Yes, I did love Horizons. This isn`t about the attraction itself - I think the ramifications go much deeper.

Speedbird

marni1971 said:
Then.... disable the functions of one of them. Remove 25% of the designded ride capacity. I can only prey this is temporary until - if successful - a fifth simulator, with the same audio, visuals and axis of movement minus the `fuge, is built behind the show shed. Afterall, there is a lot of space available compared to its predecessor.

Said I was finished but it's the most sensible answer yet. Fair play.

Captain Chaos

I am not going to pretend I know cause I don't, but Marni, how much space is available behind M:S?? If there is plenty of room, maybe this quick fix is just the first stage of Disney adding a tame version of M:S.. Just a maybe.. Who knows.. if all goes well and everything is well recevied with the public and rider numbers go up..

imagineer99

kcnole said:

To use the movie analogy further--

We're talking about a populous than doesn't understand the difference between "wide screen" and "full screen" DVD movies. Some people actually believe that the latter option is the intended viewing medium. So, my argument is that the average guest won't be able to fathom the difference. They'll think they've experienced the real thing, when they clearly haven't. I mean, there are lots of videos of the attraction in motion prior to riding, and people still cannot grasp that the centrifuge spins. What makes you believe that they will grasp the difference between the two?

dxwwf3

imagineer99 said:
We're talking about a populous than doesn't understand the difference between "wide screen" and "full screen" DVD movies. Some people actually believe that the latter option is the intended viewing medium.

Oh don't get me started here :lol:

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. Fullscreen (Or better yet Foolscreen) should be abolished from all future DVD releases.

MrNonacho

Premium Member
There's plenty of room behind the building. The problem is getting the guests back there. You've got the existing centrifuges, maintenance bay, and exit corridor in the way. If they were going to build a nonmoving version (and I honestly don't see them spending that kind of money on this experience), I think it'd be more likely to go into the space occupied by the unfinished Compaq/HP showroom building. That's right next to the extended queue.

kcnole

Originally Posted by marni1971

I would have no problem with that. But why waste all the money building a new building, building the new queues before you even know if it's worth doing or not, if enough people will jump into that. This may very well just be a test to see how well it works, and if people like it and the demand is there to need that 4th fuge for the real thing then they'll build something. But why spend all that money to build something that they don't yet know if the guests will enjoy anymore and still leave that 4th fuge just sitting there gathering dust as it is now.

So this is a logical set of steps. Put it on one that isn't being used too often and test guest reaction. If it's big enough, then it may warrant it's own portion being built especially if demand ever picks up for the full spin version and they need all 4 fuges to do just that.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
dxer07002 said:
I am not going to pretend I know cause I don't, but Marni, how much space is available behind M:S??

From an earlier thread (not my pic) - orange is the plot of Horizons and the unbuilt 4th pavilion. Horizons is the large image, M:S is the smaller square building.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showpost.php?p=1435274&postcount=3

I don`t know the inside as well as I`d like, but with the work going on in The Living Seas where there`s a will there`s away when moving walls and corridors. Plus how much would an extention cost? A few million at most including theming? And I`m not starting a rumour, but there are 4 motion bases sat idle not far away. Just one possibility.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
marni1971 said:
Plus how much would an extention cost? A few million at most including theming? And I`m not starting a rumour, but there are 4 motion bases sat idle not far away. Just one possibility.

LOL what have you been drinking this afternoon? ;) I can't see any way that would happen. Remember this MS addition is using underused capacity in the existing setup. It's because of the quiter times during the days in bay 4 that they have even been able to test this. I don't think Disney expect to have any significant outlay on this at all.

bayoutinkbelle

dxwwf3 said:
Oh don't get me started here :lol:

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. Fullscreen (Or better yet Foolscreen) should be abolished from all future DVD releases.

I think we have here an issue we can all agree upon. :D

I've already stated my thoughts on this move, so I won't rehash. I am interested to see how it's all integrated and whether it works in the end. I guess only time will tell.

Captain Chaos

marni1971 said:
From an earlier thread (not my pic) - orange is the plot of Horizons and the unbuilt 4th pavilion. Horizons is the large image, M:S is the smaller square building.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showpost.php?p=1435274&postcount=3

I don`t know the inside as well as I`d like, but with the work going on in The Living Seas where there`s a will there`s away when moving walls and corridors. Plus how much would an extention cost? A few million at most including theming? And I`m not starting a rumour, but there are 4 motion bases sat idle not far away. Just one possibility.

Thanks Marni, you da best!!!!! From the looks of your overlay, there appears to be ample room if Disney wants to build another showroom for a 2nd edition of M:S.. As unlikely as that may be, there is room... And true, why spend the millions?? They can easily convert WoL to a 2nd space pavilion, however, also unlikely... At least, i think it is unlikely.. but who knows what Disney has up its sleeve...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom