Disney planning a new Western Beltway Property

I wouldnt be sure that it is DVC. The information I was given from the "horses-mouth" just indicated Timeshare, no mention of DVC.

Allowing a third-party timeshare onto property would make no sense. DVC has exclusive access to the Walt Disney World Resort and given the push that DVC has become in expansion it would only work against the company to allow this to happen.

TimeTrip

Allowing a third-party timeshare onto property would make no sense. DVC has exclusive access to the Walt Disney World Resort and given the push that DVC has become in expansion it would only work against the company to allow this to happen.

Not if its where they say its gonna be. Getting anywhere on disney property from the intersection of 429 and Western Way isn't exactly "convenient". At least not until they add a road that connects to Epcot Center Drive. Kind of bugs me that they haven't done that.

cloudboy

How about a Whole Foods? They are certainly better than your average Publix, and they would be a lot more willing to fit into a village theme than a strip mall.

Main Street USA

There`s quite a lot of space for construction between the Bus depot and the Beltway; highlighted in yellow (even more further north):
The area you have outlined in black there is owned (and already partially developed) by Orange Lake Country Club. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that they and Disney have struck some sort of deal where they expand a bit onto Disney property in that area. (which would easily explain the "timeshare" portion of this rumor)

DisneyRoxMySox

:goodnevil I don't know my first reaction was GREAT. And like others I felt like that made the Western Way make more sense. But then I started thinking about it and if it ends up like the Goodings Crossroads on the other side of DTD or ends up being too "commercial" (I mean off property commercial as apposed to WDW themed) I am not sure I am excited. I don't want a some chain restaurants like Houlihan's or Applebee's being plopped in the middle of WDW!

My reaction was positive at first too. But the more I read about third-parties. The more I dislike it. I guess I am one of the Disney fans, that hate to see anything that isn't Disney on Disney property. I don't venture to DTD that much. :rolleyes:

I agree.

TimeTrip

I don't want a some chain restaurants like Houlihan's or Applebee's being plopped in the middle of WDW!
This location is hardly in the middle of WDW. it will probably feel almost as isolated as the AKL is, unless they start putting stuff down in the rather large area between 429 and world drive.

jedimaster1227

:goodnevil I don't know my first reaction was GREAT. And like others I felt like that made the Western Way make more sense. But then I started thinking about it and if it ends up like the Goodings Crossroads on the other side of DTD or ends up being too "commercial" (I mean off property commercial as apposed to WDW themed) I am not sure I am excited. I don't want a some chain restaurants like Houlihan's or Applebee's being plopped in the middle of WDW!

I wouldn't exactly say that it will be all "commercial," more "Commercial Disney." The development of Western Way has long been in development (as all of the naysayers that said otherwise were wrong). The end product is long off, but the land is the first in the beginning of the expansion of the world. Don't expect anything truly major to come for a good while, but new timeshares, hotels and restaurants will be part of the first main phase. The next phase is composed of bigger and better "Disney-Related" items.

Texas84

I'm not clear. Is that route past Coronado done? Why doesn't it link to Epcot Center Drive? That seems to make more sense from a trafiic flow standpoint.

PhotoDave219

I would love to see Disney provide access to a fresh meat market, throw up some grills at the DVC resorts, so I can cook a steak and have a nice adult beverage one or two evenings on my extended trips.

But Paul, if they did that then you'd be able to *gasp* make a better and cheaper steak than anthing you can get on property these days....

*still grumbling about reduced menu selection and resturants being overbooked*

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
But Paul, if they did that then you'd be able to *gasp* make a better and cheaper steak than anthing you can get on property these days....

*still grumbling about reduced menu selection and resturants being overbooked*

That would be true. The last couple of times we have been to Le Cellier, we noticed the price up, the portion size down. The quality was still good, but they serve a "fifty cent piece" size portion of steak on a scoop of smashed potatoes in a huge bowl...:lol:

Im too used to going to H.E.B. ( a local grocery here in Texas) and getting a really nice steak for $15 that a couple of people can eat off of.

neuromantic

Yes, that is western way.

Why doesn't it link to Epcot Center Drive? That seems to make more sense from a trafiic flow standpoint.
I wish i knew :(

You know, when I look at the roads thru Disney I notice that so many of them have a "wandering" pattern, rolling and winding, that it seems obvious that it was/is there intent to create something beautiful rather than straight line roads that get you from point A to point B. I always think that when I am on the Disney transport busses too. (I am Diz crazy, but I like this idea and concept). :eek:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
^ quite probable. The canals were built this way in `69 for the very reason; to look nice and look natural. Not that roads look natural, but there wasn`t an endless winding roll of tarmac. Even World Drive has unnecessary curves in it. Some of the phase one objectives were to hide roads where ever possible; in trees, in shallow cuttings, behind gentle slopes. A great example of true Disney of old is the aquaduct on North World Drive; instead of a concrete flyover visible from many areas they went under the canal. So much more expensive, but all the better for the theming. It wasn`t until EPCOT Center Drive in `81 did WDW get a flyover. Even then all major intersections (bar one...) were above grade. Nowerdays it`s a downtown nightmare of endless traffic signals. My how we forget....

TimeTrip

You know, when I look at the roads thru Disney I notice that so many of them have a "wandering" pattern, rolling and winding, that it seems obvious that it was/is there intent to create something beautiful rather than straight line roads that get you from point A to point B. I always think that when I am on the Disney transport busses too. (I am Diz crazy, but I like this idea and concept). :eek:
Yes, but it seems like Western Way to Epcot Center Drive is a no-brainer. They could make the road wander if they wanted to. Not having that connection is like going from MGM to MK via epcot center drive rather than straight up world drive.

cloudboy

Really? Maybe it's because I come from windy road central in New England, but hose roads seem so very very straight and w i d e to me.

Still, even if they do nothing more than a shopping plaza, at least they show some sign of doing something with some kind of taste - if you look at Crossroads it's better than just one huge parking lot.

Captain Chaos

Let me get this straight. The hotels will not be Disney owned, sort of like Hotel Plaza Boulevard and Swan/Dolphin? And how long before the 5th park rumor for this area starts????

Kacki

Haha, regarding the grocery store situation, here is a story. My sisters, my fatehr and I were staying at the FW Cabins. He found a store on property (outpost, maybe?) to get food so we could stock the fridge. We wrote a list, with orange juice as one of the items. He didn't mind buying it, but it was $10!!!!! haha it WAS organic though.

I love cooking our own food at WDW. (Except turkey legs and Dole Whips :animwink:)

neuromantic

Yes, but it seems like Western Way to Epcot Center Drive is a no-brainer. They could make the road wander if they wanted to. Not having that connection is like going from MGM to MK via epcot center drive rather than straight up world drive.

So you mean something like this..... (see picture link below)

I guess it makes sense... but then Disney becomes sort of a :D thru-way for traffic. Is this the kind of road you mean:

:sohappy: http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/7136/wweb9.jpg :sohappy:

PhotoDave219

That would be true. The last couple of times we have been to Le Cellier, we noticed the price up, the portion size down. The quality was still good, but they serve a "fifty cent piece" size portion of steak on a scoop of smashed potatoes in a huge bowl...:lol:

Heh... at least you can get reservations. Theyre booked through the end of the year.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom