Disney planning a new Western Beltway Property

wedway71

Hey! Why do you have to be mean, do you even have your facts?

I happen to work for Winn Dixie in the IT department @ their headquarters in Jacksonville, FL. We are by no means floundering, in fact sales have been up for several quarters in a row. We have cut costs and closed underperforming stores, etc etc. And we are coming out of bankruptcy next week. I am sorry if you have heard differently, but we are not going anywhere. There is always the chance that once we come out of bankruptcy another company will offer to buy a majority of our stock, but who knows. Anyhow, I know this isn't the place, but I take it personally when someone attacks the company that pays for my Disney passes, hotels, meals, and recent Disney Wedding!! :sohappy:

Hiya-Im not attacking Winn Dixie or being mean at all.If I came across that way I apologize.Im going by my 17 years of retail mgt backround in mostly the Grocery Sector along with working for Coke dealing with Winn Dixie as well.I have a close freind who is a Store Manager in the Ft myers area who has been there for 26 years.I think the associates at WD are great hard working people but WD has lost a huge amount of market share over the 20 years or so and even with the restructure and maybe getting a buyer , WD has had such a long standing of stores that are dirty and not staffed has left a mark that many think will not allow it to be where it once was.Sorry if you think Im being nasty but im not just my opinion.:wave:

FairyTaleCouple

Check

Thats it, I am quitting this board because it is clearly against Winn Dixie. Hah, not really. I can certainly see where you are coming from. Hopefully we closed most of out dirty stores. We are going to be refurbing 50 stores a year for the next several years as well as building a dozen new stores each year. I guess when they say "Getting better all the time," they need to let people know a time frame for how long it may take for us to get all the way better! :hammer:

coasterphil

I'm almost positive that this is simply Disney trying to get a jump on developing a whole new tourist area. Things are so crowded on I-Drive and 192, and there area still tons of people that want to get into the area. It makes perfect sense for Disney to go create their own buffer zone that will protect the resort area from the development that is bound to occur in the next 10-15 years.

wedway71

Ok im confused as in exactly what this will be.I hear 3000 rooms and DVC and grovcery stores,fast food,gas station.

Will the 3000 rooms be a Disney Resort or another Hotel like Days Inn or something?

Will it be more like Downtown Disney which is themed in a way or just like Crossroads with a bunch of outside companies?:confused:

Eyorefan

I'm almost positive that this is simply Disney trying to get a jump on developing a whole new tourist area. Things are so crowded on I-Drive and 192, and there area still tons of people that want to get into the area. It makes perfect sense for Disney to go create their own buffer zone that will protect the resort area from the development that is bound to occur in the next 10-15 years.

Why would Disney need to build this to "create their own buffer zone?" I thought the point of buying all of that land in Florida was to keep this kind of thing away from the parks so they wouldn't have the Disney Land problem all over again.

Epcot82Guy

I think there are a couple factors that play in here.

First, this is an entrance to the resort, so clutter looks bad.

Second, and more importantly, these are services guests to the resort use. People go get groceries. They stay in off-site hotels. Therefore, they get pushed into the "touristy" areas where quality can be questionable. If Disney builds its own area under its control (or not as Crossroads shows somewhat), it can provide these services without sacrificing the quality.

Third, and perhaps more realistically, the above reason means Disney is losing a potential market share. People will go off site for these, so if Disney can provide them at a comparable price, they get a kick back they wouldn't otherwise.

Disneyland was predominantly local visitors and single-day visitors who were not necessarily staying in Anaheim. Therefore, the services necessary were not needed. WDW has turned into something quite different, so the original intent of separation doesn't apply as well.

coasterphil

Why would Disney need to build this to "create their own buffer zone?" I thought the point of buying all of that land in Florida was to keep this kind of thing away from the parks so they wouldn't have the Disney Land problem all over again.

They'd need to build it because they've expanded so close to the property's edges that they are going to need to ease people into the resort area instead of going from tacky tourist junk and right across the street the entrence to the resort.

GymLeaderPhil

I think the need for a supermarket is more apparent with the demand of DVC and further in-room kitchens that have expanded as such. Crossroads is fairly seperated from everything especially as Disney has severed ties with them. Disney Transit to the DTD2 location would keep these guests on property to purchase groceries for their home cooked meals.

cullama213

I for one believe that Disney should do with their land/money what they want... Though this idea might not apeal to everyone, I am sure Disney has done some research on what this can do and have decided that it is a good thing...

I think that us diehard Disney fans always are in a Catch 22... We always seem to demand the Imagineers to come up with new things, but when they decide to build something we complain or tell them that they could do it better... Lets just wait to get more information/see the final product... The Imagineers know what they are doing... Everest, Nemo (both new products), PoTC re-do, Soaring... The list of their successes goes on and on... We should let them do what they do when they do it...

Again, this is something that my company has known about for a couple of years, so there has definetely been some thought put into it... I do not believe it was given the greenlight though until just last month... We were told to procede with our project for the new facilities...

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Being a DVC owner, I recall seeing a form that you can fax into the DVC resort prior to arrival ordering a wide variety of groceries (more than what they provide in the resort store). That being said, and with the discussion of the proposed supermarket, where does Disney purchase those items that are requested now. If its close to the major resort area, is it secluded enough where most people do not know about it?

cloudboy

But to be honest, how many people are going to go shopping and carry everything back on a crowded bus? If you are really aiming for that, then the guests will likely rent a car, and then why not head up the street to Winn Dixie or Goodings?

HOw accurate is this rumor, and also, is this eing promoted as an actual Disney offering (aka DTD v.2), or just Disney doing a little developing and probably not putting much of their own stamp on it?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
HOw accurate is this rumor, and also, is this eing promoted as an actual Disney offering (aka DTD v.2), or just Disney doing a little developing and probably not putting much of their own stamp on it?

Very accurate, and probably more a case of Disney doing some developing rather than DTD2.

artvandelay

But to be honest, how many people are going to go shopping and carry everything back on a crowded bus? If you are really aiming for that, then the guests will likely rent a car, and then why not head up the street to Winn Dixie or Goodings?

As a DVC member, I'd like to have a supermarket that I can get to via WDW transportation. With DME and an accesible supermarket, I could save a lot of money by not renting a car. I think my wife and I could handle two bags of groceries apiece.

cloudboy

Does anyone think there is a better economic benefit to a DTD2 or just some developing?

As presented? Not at all. I do think that there could be some benefit to a DTD2 if it was done with a more urban theme to it, something like a minature Harvard Square or European City or something like that. With more quaint alternative shops, cafes, and such. But a shopping plaza with a supermarket? Not as an attraction, anyways.

I would also think Disney would not want to encourage to many people to go to the market to pick up food for supper instead of dining in the parks.

bluesnut

mixed feelings

:goodnevil I don't know my first reaction was GREAT. And like others I felt like that made the Western Way make more sense. But then I started thinking about it and if it ends up like the Goodings Crossroads on the other side of DTD or ends up being too "commercial" (I mean off property commercial as apposed to WDW themed) I am not sure I am excited. I don't want a some chain restaurants like Houlihan's or Applebee's being plopped in the middle of WDW!

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I would also think Disney would not want to encourage to many people to go to the market to pick up food for supper instead of dining in the parks.

I think as much as Disney is pushing DVC, and with its popularity, they dont have much choice. I would love to see Disney provide access to a fresh meat market, throw up some grills at the DVC resorts, so I can cook a steak and have a nice adult beverage one or two evenings on my extended trips.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom