News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

rioriz

I see no problem with including Belle in the attraction list. It's not for everyone, but there are some cool effects and the target audience loves it. As a parent, I wish more meet and greets were done well like this. There's nothing worse than waiting a half hour and then having the character, photographer, and handler rush you through. You blink and it's over sometimes.

We should also include PFTH in the attraction count whether we like it or not...

MereMickey

Sniff, sniff. I love this ride. Never gets old for me. First time I went down to Disney with my family in 1989, this was a blast! I remember standing in the queue area where the theater section is and my parents telling me how scary Alien was to them when it first came out. I was six at the time, so Alien was really scary to me. Every trip down to Disney has included hoping on this ride. It really has come full circle for me since now our trip includes my sister's children. Her boys love that ride even though they have no clue what movies are being talked about. It is fun seeing them scared at the same parts I was at their age and really excited at other parts.

My favorite part of course is the end with all the movie clips. I am a bit of a movie buff and grew up with a father that made me sit and watch the cowboys and gangster movies. So it's always fun to ride with Dad and see the Cagney and Wayne scenes. He sure will be sad to hear this is it really is true.

I always wonder though with rumors like this (even if well founded), if Disney lets these 'rumors' out to certain people to see how the public reacts. Almost doing this without actually polling people. If the outcry is "Don't change it!", it stays. But if people are like "Meh, time to move.", maybe they move forward with the change?

I could see an updated system and new 'classics' added for what I think would be a great idea. But to see it completely scrapped would be a sad day in Disney history especially since that is the bread and butter of the entire theme of the park. A working Hollywood movie set. I could be very biased as I worked there as a CP when it was still MGM. I have fond memories regardless and thank God we still have youtube to relive it if it does go by the wayside. In the mean time, will definitely be hopping on it a few extra times Family Summer Vacation 2017 just in case!

Mike S

Sniff, sniff. I love this ride. Never gets old for me. First time I went down to Disney with my family in 1989, this was a blast! I remember standing in the queue area where the theater section is and my parents telling me how scary Alien was to them when it first came out. I was six at the time, so Alien was really scary to me. Every trip down to Disney has included hoping on this ride. It really has come full circle for me since now our trip includes my sister's children. Her boys love that ride even though they have no clue what movies are being talked about. It is fun seeing them scared at the same parts I was at their age and really excited at other parts.

My favorite part of course is the end with all the movie clips. I am a bit of a movie buff and grew up with a father that made me sit and watch the cowboys and gangster movies. So it's always fun to ride with Dad and see the Cagney and Wayne scenes. He sure will be sad to hear this is it really is true.

I always wonder though with rumors like this (even if well founded), if Disney lets these 'rumors' out to certain people to see how the public reacts. Almost doing this without actually polling people. If the outcry is "Don't change it!", it stays. But if people are like "Meh, time to move.", maybe they move forward with the change?

I could see an updated system and new 'classics' added for what I think would be a great idea. But to see it completely scrapped would be a sad day in Disney history especially since that is the bread and butter of the entire theme of the park. A working Hollywood movie set. I could be very biased as I worked there as a CP when it was still MGM. I have fond memories regardless and thank God we still have youtube to relive it if it does go by the wayside. In the mean time, will definitely be hopping on it a few extra times Family Summer Vacation 2017 just in case!
Public outcry did nothing to save DCA's Tower of Terror.

Cesar R M

bruh
BE-21-architect.jpg
"We have build many crappy overlays..and we're becoming exceedingly efficient at building them"

Cesar R M

This post can be directed to anyone in the know, but specifically @marni1971:

I'm curious about the rate and ferocity that these rumors have been coming as of late. Overall, Disney is generally pretty tight lipped when it comes to things, but gosh, I have to wonder if they're really that upset about these rumors "leaking" like they seem to be.

I've been reading LOTS of articles that are signaling a decline in attendance at WDW and attributing it to the lack of new attractions. It seems as though even the pixie dusters are starting to get sore noses and realizing the state of the parks.

What I'm getting at is this - are these rumors being started, leaked, perpetuated, etc. as a form of damage control to steer the conversation towards what could be coming as opposed to what hasn't been?
It just shows there are a lot of disgruntled people working at Disney who cant handle the outright greed by the upper executives.

Cesar R M

And probably not for the Mermaid either. But we are talking plain attraction count (not whether it's good or interesting - separate issue).
Well, it doesnt count as attraction but as "show". doesn't it?
Lets remember nowadays Disney thinks the castle shows as attractions, even M&G's.

Cesar R M

There's enough room to build a new attraction on the land that is just The Little Mermaid Queue!
Seriously, there's never a wait and I swear the walk from the sign to actually loading into the clam is 3/4 of a mile. And I'm NOT exaggerating!
Well, maybe a little. Ok, like 5/8 of a mile!
Which is a bit ironic, because that thing eats people like no tomorrow.

Mike S

Good point, indeed. Thank, God for the licensing contract on the East Coast with Marvel! But that won't last forever either unfortunately. I don't even ride ToT and I would hate to see it go. :p
Yes it will. The contract is in perpetuity. The only way it breaks is if Disney buys it out for an ungodly price or Marvel feels Universal is misrepresenting the characters like putting Spider-Man in a princess dress or something.

Last edited:

Bocabear

We should also include PFTH in the attraction count whether we like it or not...
I don't really consider a Meet & Greet as an "attraction"...but the fact that some people now do only proves the point that the Disney marketing machine has been successful. They seem to be heading towards reducing actual attractions and putting in less expensive meet & greets....a win win for the bottom line I suppose... Why bother building a new 150 million dollar attraction when you can hire college kids to wear costumes for minimum wage....and then sell the photographs on top of that...
I will say that the Belle Meet and Greet was elaborate and nicely done, but more of a show than an actual attraction...but wouldn't you rather have a spectacular Beauty and the Beast ride??

Bocabear

I think shows are attractions as well. It is not a ride but it is certainly an attraction.
Princess Fairytale Hall is NOT an attraction...it is a diversion for those who like Meet & Greets, but certainly not an attraction... When they built Hong Kong Disneyland , they went out of their way to say how much the Chinese loved Meet And Greets, so they left out many of the classic attractions that should have been built with the park... The result? WRONG! they immediately had to start building attractions to fill in the park... I know people like meeting the characters, but it would be nice if we didn't have to choose between haiving character meeting opportunities and actual rides in the park... and when the ride count has decreased since 1979, it is hard to call a Princess Hug Zone an "attraction"...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom