News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

Mike S

Zootopia for AK, BH6 for Epcot, if we must.
I feel like the modern urban environment of Zootopia could potentially clash too much with the rest of Animal Kingdom and DHS could use BH6 (and GotG) a lot more than Epcot could. Future World could be the absolute simplest thing to fix if they just did the work appropriately one pavilion at a time. Spaceship Earth, Test Track, and The Land are in much better shape than the others right now. Start with Imagination since it's probably the biggest underperformer and then go from there.
But it's not the same league as say Frozen... Like Wall-E, it's decent, but it's not screaming for theme park additions. (although I would like Wall-E, but I can see how it can slip through the cracks)
Wall-E is easy. All they have to do is bring out that free roaming AA they built from whatever vault he's in and have him roll around like any other character.
I could see a dark ride train or monorail-type ride tour of Zootopia as a big hit for both kids and adults. Multi-sensory, warm and cold effects, humid and dry... could be a classic. Could work in DHS, DAK or even MK.
Nick & Judy's Crimestoppers
http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Dick_Tracy's_Crime-Stoppers
"A good idea never dies at Imagineering..."

HauntedMansionFLA

I don't understand this reasoning at all. From a business standpoint, if Disney had made decisions in earlier years as they do today, they would not be enjoying anywhere near the success that they enjoy today. Disneyland, if they had the stones to even consider making the investment, would have been one giant Fantasyland. No tributes to the Old West, no visions of Tomorrow.

Mansion, Pirates, Space Mountain, The Matterhorn, The Monorail, Epcot, even Animal Kingdom, ... would never happen.

Sure, it's easier to connect the dots when you are "leveraging your IP to capitalize on profitable franchises". But in the big picture, that's extremely low risk, low reward, AND it is very limiting. It takes homeruns like Mansion, Pirates and the Monorail completely off the table. It cripples your ability to reach new audiences, to expand your markets. It constricts the company's creativity to the studios division. It turns the parks into a marketing arm, rather than allowing it to be it's own cauldron of creativity.

They aren't practicing "good" business. They are practicing easy business.

(mandstaft, I do not mean to single you out on this, I've read comments like yours over and over to justify decision after decision, year after year. Your comment just happens to be the one I hit reply to today.)
I liked the good old days when Disney would make a movie based on an awesome attraction (Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Tower of Terror - haven't seen Tomorrowland / wasn't there talk of making a Big Thunder Mountain TV show or movie. Anyway, loved how they used to think out the attraction in a creative way.

Herbie

RoysCabin

I don't understand this reasoning at all. From a business standpoint, if Disney had made decisions in earlier years as they do today, they would not be enjoying anywhere near the success that they enjoy today. Disneyland, if they had the stones to even consider making the investment, would have been one giant Fantasyland. No tributes to the Old West, no visions of Tomorrow.

Mansion, Pirates, Space Mountain, The Matterhorn, The Monorail, Epcot, even Animal Kingdom, ... would never happen.

Sure, it's easier to connect the dots when you are "leveraging your IP to capitalize on profitable franchises". But in the big picture, that's extremely low risk, low reward, AND it is very limiting. It takes homeruns like Mansion, Pirates and the Monorail completely off the table. It cripples your ability to reach new audiences, to expand your markets. It constricts the company's creativity to the studios division. It turns the parks into a marketing arm, rather than allowing it to be it's own cauldron of creativity.

They aren't practicing "good" business. They are practicing easy business.

(mandstaft, I do not mean to single you out on this, I've read comments like yours over and over to justify decision after decision, year after year. Your comment just happens to be the one I hit reply to today.)

While I can't speculate on what would or would not have happened, I do agree that from a long-term perspective, Disney does not stand to gain very much from basically playing catch up with Universal.

One can make the argument that the original themed lands of Disneyland/Magic Kingdom may be outdated: Adventureland was shaped by old pulp novels and the annexation of Hawaii/co-opting of Polynesian culture, Frontierland was a product of the 50s and early TV's focus on the myths of the Old West, Main Street USA meant a lot more to grandparents in the 50s who may have actually lived through the turn of the century, and Tomorrowland was an extension of 50s/60s Cold War investments in STEM fields and Space Race excitement. Pointing any of that out is absolutely fair.

However, there's no getting around that the sheer concepts of "adventure", "frontiers", "tomorrow", and the very concept of nostalgia itself are great levelers that can make a land or attraction very appealing to people of all ages; they're archetypes, so they tend to resonate with wide swaths of the population, and they're fungible enough that over time you can fine tune the concepts as tastes and cultural influences evolve.

In this way, Disneyland and WDW became places that held great allure for people of all ages (even putting aside for the moment the other additions at various resorts that made WDW so attractive to older tourists in the "Vacation Kingdom" days), and made lifelong fans out of multiple generations of park-goers.

A shift toward "market the hot IP" is inherently limiting, even if the IP being utilized is very popular. Some IPs are exceptions: Potter, for example, and I believe that Star Wars can be, but most are transient by nature, and they come with the immediate caveat of "you may not enjoy this as much if you're not familiar with the IP in question". Cars Land avoids this by blending into California Adventure with the concept of riding Route 66, the road trip concept being so familiar to so many people in North America, but it's something that MUST be considered and done very carefully lest the area date itself before a decade has even passed.

Said it in another thread, but such a strategy risks a drop in longterm, lifelong fans due to the limiting nature of IPs that require some familiarity with the source material to be optimally enjoyable. Disney may not really care about that: maybe they're happy if people in the parks are just getting the message "keep seeing our movies and buying our stuff". But I fear that will lead to less interest in general in the parks, less committed fandom, and thus a reduced source of customer loyalty to the Disney brand, which, let's face is, is a gigantic factor in Disney's theme park popularity.

One day I may have children, and I'm ready for when those kids will want to watch the same movies and listen to the same albums over and over again. If I bring those kids to Disney World, though...do I really want to spend thousands of dollars just so we can hear the same songs and see the same scenes repeated to us again? Or would I be more likely to bring the kids annually (thus creating new lifelong fans) if we knew there was a lot of stuff down there we couldn't see anywhere else?

Last edited:

No Name

When you enter The Great Movie Ride, you don't enter directly through the center of the Chinese Theater. Rather, you enter from one side, I believe the right. Kind of throws off the symmetry.

I think would be best if both attractions coexisted, and both were housed "inside of the theater." It would take some reconfiguration of the GMR queue, but one side of the theater would be the entrance to The Great Movie Ride, the other side would be the entrance to the Mickey ride.

How would that work, and where would the actual Mickey ride be housed? Since the Pixar Place area will become backstage once TSL opens, the Mickey ride queue would take up a fraction of that space. The queue would continue down the side of the GMR building to the Honey I Shrunk The Kids playground area, where the ride would be located. It likely wouldn't exit out the front of the theater, instead it would exit into the back of the park, but that's okay. Here's a cheap, quick line drawing I did.

image.jpeg

Red line is the queue and purple shape is the showbuilding.

I really think it would work well and do a ton for the park. And for Disney's profits. The million dollars or so that they spend on The Great Movie Ride every year is nothing in comparison to the many more millions that an additional ride would bring in.

Last edited:

omurice

Who would have thought that the Indiana Jones EPIC Stunt Spectacular would be the only thing left from opening day?
I don't believe EPIC was running at MGM on opening day... There were "coming soon" signs, there and at Star Tours too. Maybe just the day I was there it was closed though (I was there first WEEK, andnot on first day). Now they may have been running soft openings and testing? Yes I think that was happening... you could hear and see things were happening in that theater at least, it was exciting and noisy. Maybe was rehearsal or testing. It was so exciting being at MGM, despite many things not finished the first few months. Wish I could have seen MK or AK in first days!

parkhopper1213

I've heard from a very reliable source inside Turner that The Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal (Only a 3 year contract was signed) is not up for renewal. This was not a TCM Decision, it was Disney's. Evidently they have plans for a new attraction to take the location. The current ride will be shut down shortly after the deal ends and planning for a replacement attraction has already begun. Can anyone else speak about what this replacement attraction will be? PM me if you can't talk much about it. Personally I find it sad that Great Movie Ride is closing, but I can kind of understand why, the more I think about it.
So excited when it went through the renovation, but result was the same boring ride. We called it the Not so Great Movie ride. It had such potential. Another nail in the coffin of Hollywood studios.

Cesar R M

I am truly curious. Why do you propose doing a "walk through attraction"? Other than OMD, I cannot think of another walk through at WDW (I do not consider 360 movies as walk through). Today's customer doesn't appear to want to walk through anything - and based on the number of ECVs that you see in the parks nowadays, they don't even want to walk from one attraction to another. (I don't intend to single you out over this, a number of references have been made to walk through attractions, but yours was the latest.)
how about this one?

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/08/04/arts/teamlab-art-installation-tokyo/index.html

360 degree environment that reacts to you.

Cesar R M

But it's not the same league as say Frozen... Like Wall-E, it's decent, but it's not screaming for theme park additions. (although I would like Wall-E, but I can see how it can slip through the cracks)
...the overhyped frozen... Oh please, the least thing the parks need is MORE frozen. its everywhere already.
And no, id take wall-e and many more movies above Frozen.

Herbie

...the overhyped frozen... Oh please, the least thing the parks need is MORE frozen. its everywhere already.
And no, id take wall-e and many more movies above Frozen.

I wasn't fawning over the film (haven't seen it), but I know it's in the league that would deserve an attraction. The style + the mega success (and in this day and age, at that. Hardly any option for contemporary classics). Wall-E and Zootopia were also successes, but you should be able to tell the difference.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom