News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

PizzaPlanet

Looking back on it, it's extremely strange that the GMR never had a substantial update over the years, especially when compared Spaceship Earth and PotC. It's a shame really, the attraction really lends itself well to the idea of being updated. I wonder if there were any significant changes that were ever seriously considered?

BasiltheBatLord

Looking back on it, it's extremely strange that the GMR never had a substantial update over the years, especially when compared Spaceship Earth and PotC. It's a shame really, the attraction really lends itself well to the idea of being updated. I wonder if there were any significant changes that were ever seriously considered?
I've been thinking about this recently also. Aside from the TSM updates to the in-vehicle script and pre-show/post-show videos, the ride literally never changed since opening afaik (excepting effects being turned off, like Footlight Parade). That seems uncommon for a long-running Disney attraction.

matt9112

I still don't understand how they are going to tie this whole park together in terms of theming I guess it will be more like MK in terms of different lands that don't fit together

likely....no big deal as long as they keep clashing to a minimum.

IanDLBZF

They put their heart and soul into what was a very special ride. It's like being a caretaker for someone for years only to find out that the person is about to leave for good. I think they reserve the right to be a tad emotional
True, very true. I will miss GMR greatly and dearly, despite being one of the only attractions to remain somewhat untouched since day one.

brb1006

Found this on Twitter
HQDjZrz.png

Casper Gutman

The idea that GMR and Universe can't attract young, new fans is absurd. I was a child when I experienced those rides, along with the other AA rides like Horizons and WoM. I imagine many people here were. My love for Disney was based on those AA heavy rides - the sophistication, wit, and technological mastery they displayed. There was a depth to them and a vital sense that this was something only Disney could build. There was also, particularly as regards the Magic Kingdom rides, a sense of history that intrigued me. There is not earthly reason future fans wouldn't be intrigued by the same things that convinced us to be Disney fans.

Disney is bent on destroying that sense of history, along with all the other charms of AA-heavy rides. I don't know if the new round of short screen-based attractions will weave the same spell - perhaps they will. Part of the logic is that modern children are so used to screens, rides need to adapt, which seems incredibly stupid to me - where is the wonder in building larger versions of the media with which children interact daily?

In terms of homogenization, it's also worth noting that the rides that are disappearing from WDW are the unique, one-of-a-kind rides, the ones not replicated in other parks. The sting of losing PoC in Orlando, for instance, would be far less painful for me then losing WoM was, because versions of the ride - better versions - are found all over the world. I strongly suspect that one of the reasons we are getting a Mickey ride that ALMOST fits in MGM is because the exact same ride can be made to ALMOST fit into the expansion pad in Disneyland's Toontown. Why build a unique ride crafted to fit a single park perfectly when you can build a ride that kinda-sorta fits multiple parks? Saves money!

hopemax

Farewell, Great Movie Ride.

We are home after our last ride. With a little, well timed "maneuvering" we had the Western scene. There are some attractions that close, and it's sad. There are some attractions that close and it just feels wrong. Energy is sad, with losing the dinosaurs and another part of old Epcot Center. The rest, not so much. But this just feels wrong. There is still life in the movies, and so there could have been more life in the ride. Our host was great. You could really tell she was putting as much as she could into her role. So we had a worthy farewell. But I really don't know where all the people are going to go.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom