News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

Goofyernmost

Unless were talking re-skins ;)
Well, re-skins which to me mean what was done in Norway, are not what we were referring too. If you are talking clones, the negativity of that idea is strictly based on personal opinion. I am not opposed to any decent clone. So it remains that Mermaid was a new build dark ride in MK based, even cloned off one that already existed in California, and out of reach to more people then Florida would be. That's called caring about others besides ourselves.

Bacon

Well, re-skins which to me mean what was done in Norway, are not what we were referring too. If you are talking clones, the negativity of that idea is strictly based on personal opinion. I am not opposed to any decent clone. So it remains that Mermaid was a new build dark ride in MK based, even cloned off one that already existed in California, and out of reach to more people then Florida would be. That's called caring about others besides ourselves.
you missed my sarcasm sir

clemmo

Sorry if this was mentioned but when is GMR expected to close? I'm assuming 2017 if they want it by the time SWL opens? As for the ride itself it's disappointing that it's not an expansion and that it's not utilizing the entire space of the building, but I still think (hope) disney will make sure this is on the level of SWL and Avatar theming and not make it look like TSL.

doctornick

My excitement about the future projects at DHS continues on its downward spiral. What a debacle this entire "revision" is turning out to be.

Yep. When the big rumors leaked out last summer coupled with the splashy D23 announcements, I was so incredibly excited. I couldn't wait for the massive changes coming to DHS and it sounded like it would finally be developed into a worthy park. Instead, over time, it becomes more and more of a thud and it doesn't even sound like the layout issues will be addressed (still have the dead end on Sunset and persistent tight guest areas) while even adding a new dead end with the Muppets area. There's no rumors of any new parade/day time entertainment. Alleged refreshes of shows still haven't happened.

TSL still is just cleared land -- I naively thought it might get built by the end of 2016 given how simple it is and how desperate the park is for ride capacity. And, speaking of capacity, in the end, it looks like just a lot of running in pace with Star Wars/Mickey/TSL simply replacing the lost capacity from Backlot, LMA, HISTK, OMD, American Idol (moving Frozen to there and losing the Premiere Theater) and GMR more or less.

dizneycrazy09

Yep. When the big rumors leaked out last summer coupled with the splashy D23 announcements, I was so incredibly excited. I couldn't wait for the massive changes coming to DHS and it sounded like it would finally be developed into a worthy park. Instead, over time, it becomes more and more of a thud and it doesn't even sound like the layout issues will be addressed (still have the dead end on Sunset and persistent tight guest areas) while even adding a new dead end with the Muppets area. There's no rumors of any new parade/day time entertainment. Alleged refreshes of shows still haven't happened.

TSL still is just cleared land -- I naively thought it might get built by the end of 2016 given how simple it is and how desperate the park is for ride capacity. And, speaking of capacity, in the end, it looks like just a lot of running in pace with Star Wars/Mickey/TSL simply replacing the lost capacity from Backlot, LMA, HISTK, OMD, American Idol (moving Frozen to there and losing the Premiere Theater) and GMR more or less.

When all is said and done, we could be looking at LESS capacity. It makes no sense and proves that the people in charge truly have no idea what they're doing. UNI is going to have built and opened at least two parks by the time WDW even realizes that this HS "overhaul" is a debacle.

clemmo

When all is said and done, we could be looking at LESS capacity. It makes no sense and proves that the people in charge truly have no idea what they're doing. UNI is going to have built and opened at least two parks by the time WDW even realizes that this HS "overhaul" is a debacle.
Somehow I doubt UNI's 3rd park opens before the MK 50th in 2021. They will have Nintendo and VB open by the time the HS overhaul is complete.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
For guest ride? 75-80 ish

So, the actual show building for Great Movie Ride is about 64,000 sq ft (if Google Maps is calculating correctly). So, not trying to take thing TOO literally, but at 75-80%, that would put a show building at about 48,000-51,000 sq feet? Seem right? If so, for comparison (again, based on Google Maps calculations alone, here are the sizes of several existing similar sized show buildings around Orlando:

-Journey of the Little Mermaid: ~24,000 sq ft
-Cat in the Hat: ~32,000 sq ft
-Haunted Mansion: ~41,000 sq ft
-Spiderman: ~52,000 sq ft
-Forbidden Journey: ~73,000 sq ft
-Dinosaur: ~78,000 sq ft (though some of that may include queue/pre-show)

Honestly... a Spiderman sized attraction is nothing to scoff at...

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    719.6 KB · Views: 65

doctornick

So, the actual show building for Great Movie Ride is about 64,000 sq ft (if Google Maps is calculating correctly). So, not trying to take thing TOO literally, but at 75-80%, that would put a show building at about 48,000-51,000 sq feet? Seem right? If so, for comparison (again, based on Google Maps calculations alone, here are the sizes of several existing similar sized show buildings around Orlando:

-Journey of the Little Mermaid: ~24,000 sq ft
-Cat in the Hat: ~32,000 sq ft
-Haunted Mansion: ~41,000 sq ft
-Spiderman: ~52,000 sq ft
-Forbidden Journey: ~73,000 sq ft
-Dinosaur: ~78,000 sq ft (though some of that may include queue/pre-show)

Honestly... a Spiderman sized attraction is nothing to scoff at...

I have no doubt that they can make a very good attraction even using only 75-80% of the space. Since it is rumored to be using LPS, the ride would potentially be moving at a relaxed pace and could make a very solid 6-8 minute attraction. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the ride is actually very good based on what has been said about it and would likely be more popular than GMR overall.

The bigger point, though, is that why not make the ride 20% bigger and longer since the space is right there available. Why not make the best and most engaging attraction possible? It's not like there is a shortage of Mickey content that could be used. That's the frustrating thing about modern Disney is that they settle for "good enough" too often instead of shooting for the stars.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom