News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

Bacon

@marni1971 is saying a closure next year to begin work and the replacement would open in 2019 the Mickey Mouse attraction is just one of several proposed concepts for a Great Movie Ride Replacement

Bacon

thats probably next on the chopping block to save a buck,,,not saying it is but just saying wouldnt surprise me, been wondering about that for awhile now.
I wouldn't care as i never stop to watch it on the way out of the park. Now as i said back to topic ok?

Magenta Panther

Man. Disney is relying on re-theming lately.

1. GOTG into TOT
2. GOTG into Universe of Energy
3. Mickey into GMR

And TDO actually thinks it's being clever and cost-effective. :banghead: But...maybe it is? Seriously, I wonder how much money it saved by putting Frozen in Maelstrom? The makeover looks pretty lush to me. Could it have cost that much more to build a new structure somewhere else? I'm not being (merely) sarcastic. I don't know about these things. Is it that much cheaper? Or did someone in TDO really think that Frozen belonged in the Norway Pavilion?

Pam Hates Penguins

And TDO actually thinks it's being clever and cost-effective. :banghead: But...maybe it is? Seriously, I wonder how much money it saved by putting Frozen in Maelstrom? The makeover looks pretty lush to me. Could it have cost that much more to build a new structure somewhere else? I'm not being (merely) sarcastic. I don't know about these things. Is it that much cheaper? Or did someone in TDO really think that Frozen belonged in the Norway Pavilion?

I'm not in construction/architecture, but now it is becoming rare for new dark rides to open (besides the two SWL rides). When was the last time a new indoor ride opened in Disney World?

Goofyernmost

Here is how you need to think about it. You have said that you think that the makeover looks pretty lush. It does to me as well, however, if you wanted that to be in a new building on top of what it costs to make it that lush, you have to pay for the construction of a building and also a ride system to go with it. I'm sure they incurred considerable expense to gut out Maelstrom, however, no where near as much as engineering, planning, building and equipping a new building with all new everything. I'd say millions cheaper. That's a pretty good collection of parking meter change.

Next Big Thing

Sadly since it's a replacement and not an addition.
Yes, but at the same time, we all know that Disney was just going to ignore GMR for as long as it was there. And if they ever actually did think about updating it, how do you even do that? The problem is, there's so many GREAT movies and so little space, that people will inevitably feel like some movies don't belong or that other movies should've been put in. It would be one giant expense just to get blowback anyway.

While I would rather the Mickey ride somewhere like Animation courtyard, I think it's easily the best option if the ride is going to be replaced. Mickey is timeless.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom