Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

Mike S

If the film is not set in Norway it's at least inspired by Norway. From The Disney Park Blog:

"We’re excited for the Frozen attraction, too, Matthew. While we
don’t want to give away the whole show, we’re well aware that what
people love most about Frozen are its heartwarming story, the wonderful
characters the film brought to life, and the amazing music throughout
the film. The attraction is designed to let guests experience and
immerse themselves in all those key elements. And we think it’s a
natural fit to locate the Frozen attraction at Epcot’s Norway Pavilion,
which showcases the country that helped inspire the film."

I think this explains their thinking on why the ride fits in Norway.
It may explain it but it doesn't make it right.

Mike S

Here's the thing. Maelstrom has a relatively small, yet very vocal fan base right now. I see people online saying that Disney needs to listen to the paying customers and keep Maelstrom, but I would bet that a Frozen attraction will be a much bigger hit in Epcot than Maelstrom currently is.
It would be a big hit in Magic Kingdom or Hollywood Studios too, maybe even bigger if they weren't so **** cheap and gave us what Tokyo will be getting.

Jlasoon

I'm not upset about Maelstrom. I don't mind the overlay for several reasons. I'm kind of tired of holding onto the principles, or the legacy of WS when TDO doesn't care and decided to keep it a mall. I think Maelstrom represents an IP free level of originality that EPCOT used to have. A sophistication that eroded and eventually showed up in Japan in DisneySEA (they still have characters though and no one seems to mind!). It's a sad slow, depressing descent for some fans.

I sort of went numb after Imagination and Horizons were destroyed. There's a reason people are upset. EPCOT is my favorite park. I grew up there. I feel protective over it. But I know when the battle is lost. It's reasonable to understand why people are upset.

I just got back from Disney. I don't know what the difference between the fanatics and average guests is, to be honest. There is a BIG difference between the (nearly... or maybe really) demented apologists and enablers who will swallow any crap TDO gives them and fight to the death of how great it is and how grateful you should be for them to give it to you...even though most times they fail to realize TDO didn't want to give it to them... like the often referenced Fantasyland expansion that TDO intended to be a princess M&G (I'm being serious) and had to be dragged kicking and screaming by Anaheim to do it.

As a Premium AP holder I hate to break it to you, but TDO does not exist. It hasn't for years. Let's cut the nonsense. And yes I joined just to tell you that lol. I can't take this TDO crap anymore. This is coming straight from Glendale. You can bank on it.

That doesn't mean I agree with the decision. Nonetheless as an AP holder I do go to the parks quite a bit (probably more than most on this site) and you need only look around you to figure out why this is happening. The bar has been lowered quite a bit since the opening of the park. Don't believe me? take a stroll through your nearest urban metropolis, put on some headphones on and listen to Anaconda. Or better yet tune into "The Learning Channel" and watch Honey Boo Boo. The decay is staring you right in the face. That's who Disney has to cater to to drive the stock price and increase revenue.

pumpkin7

Aww people are so naive on the FB page of the Disney Parks Blog. Someone posted 'ahh something new to look forward to when I go at holiday time'. Yeah, holiday time in 2 years!

SoccerMickey

Do you think that those who still enjoy Epcot NEED an adult beverage to do so?
Absolutely not, well I'm pretty sure no one on these message boards thinks that but that origial statement is an excellent and poignant question to bring up as to what the Walt Disney Company's perception of Epcot Center is. A majority of the people on here is willing to point out, Epcot has definitely lost the focus of EPCOT Center, and where as far back in 1982 beers, wines, and spirits from around the world were available to taste and experience, the perception (whether or not in jest) is that it's the place where you over indulge and "drink around the world". I enjoy the Food and Wine festival too but with all the food booths and long lines the message of an epicurean journey around the world gets lost as it becomes more of a hey this is a short line and I have snack credits to burn.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

There are many crowds Epcot is missing out on. Frozen and Nemo arrant going to fix that. People are going to park hop to Epcot maybe for a couple hours for Nemo and frozen them be on their way. Epcot was for the mature crowd, they loose that and Epcot is toast and all Disney will have nothing but young families. What Epcot needs to do is make the food and drinks affordable for guests at all different kinds of wealth to go around the world showcase and stuff their faces and get a few drinks. They need to enhance the History, culture and forget about the young crowds all together. If they have to make Epcot a drunken fest by all means they will get the resort town crowds, the National Park crowds and the ones who want to party. It needs to be park for those who don't care for the Disney franchise and just those who want to have fun. The mature crowds is there the money is.

DelGriffith

Where has John Lasseter been over the past decade? I thought he actually cared about the quality of the theme parks and had some sort of pull since it was he who stopped TDO from demolishing Tom Sawyer Island.

lazyboy97o

No no, I am not saying that Frozen is ABOUT Norway, just that it is set in Norway, and based on the culture. Never said anything of Frozen being about Norway. never said anything of the sort
If you agree it is not about Norway, then how does it make sense in a place where everything is supposed to be about Norway?

Where has John Lasseter been over the past decade? I thought he actually cared about the quality of the theme parks and had some sort of pull since it was he who stopped TDO from demolishing Tom Sawyer Island.
Lasseter never really expressed much interest in Walt Disney World. He also falls into the common Disneyland fan trap of being more concerned with decoration and individual experiences, except with Cars Land.

SirNim

I wanted to post this for the Old-Timers. Just for chuckles.

Attachments

• 747maelstromrockstroll.jpg
    747maelstromrockstroll.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 52

pumpkin7

I put my 2 cents on the Disney Blog FB page. I bet it will be deleted.

Doesn't the guy at the Wandering Oakens Trading Post have an accent? Yoo hoo! Big Norway blow out!

misterID

As a Premium AP holder I hate to break it to you, but TDO does not exist. It hasn't for years. Let's cut the nonsense. And yes I joined just to tell you that lol. I can't take this TDO crap anymore. This is coming straight from Glendale. You can bank on it.

That doesn't mean I agree with the decision. Nonetheless as an AP holder I do go to the parks quite a bit (probably more than most on this site) and you need only look around you to figure out why this is happening. The bar has been lowered quite a bit since the opening of the park. Don't believe me? take a stroll through your nearest urban metropolis, put on some headphones on and listen to Anaconda. Or better yet tune into "The Learning Channel" and watch Honey Boo Boo. The decay is staring you right in the face. That's who Disney has to cater to to drive the stock price and increase revenue.
You're wrong.

edit: Okay, let me say it this way since you joined just to respond to my TDO comment. I'm sure your Premium AP holder status is wonderful. But the two resorts are run differently, by two different groups under the same umbrella, who operate very differently. I would also point you to a member here who met a TDO member at DLR who he heard explain the differences between the two groups. I think the only crap here is showing up to rant about Honey Boo Boo and the deterioration of society. Never saw the show, never will.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
There are many things in the film that are sutblely norweigan... the shopkeeper scene is the one scene in the whole film that really makes me feel like it's Norway. Not because of the litefisk alone, but in the character himself and his mannerisms. It's so fitting of the personalities you encounter there and their values.

There isn't really anything to debate when it comes to if the film is supposed to be set in Norway or scandanavia in general.. it doesn't matter honestly. What makes it such a horrible fit is the tale and film have nothing to do with projecting anything about Norway -- it's history, people, values, or culture.

Sooooooo

You are saying, everyone in Norway is part of a non traditional family unit? :cautious:

Not that there's anything wrong with that....

Weather_Lady

Just posted a completely family-friendly (but entirely negative) comment on the WDW FB page expressing my disappointment at this latest, short-sighted, cheap, disrespectful and misguided decision. Notwithstanding its civil tone, it was deleted within an hour. I realize that WDW doesn't give a rat's tush about what any of its fans/customers think anymore, but it's still a kick in the teeth to have your feedback ignored and erased.

I'm off to continue planning our next vacation -- which for reasons confirmed by this latest interaction with WDW, we booked two months ago, headed for Europe and not for WDW. We always thought we'd try to visit once every two years, but as much as we enjoy Disney, we're finding fewer and fewer reasons to visit more than once every 4-5.

peter11435

I would also point you to a member here who met a TDO member at DLR who he heard explain the differences between the two groups.

So let me just understand this. Someone you don't know and have never met posted about something, not an interaction they actually had but rather something they allegedly overheard, and you are inclined to automatically believe that as fact? Just checking.

I hope people realize that these types of decisions while sometimes influenced by, are not made my anyone in orlando. Projects of this size require approval of (and in most cases are driven by) executives in Burbank.

Captain Chaos

Right, but you're justifying the placement of a Frozen attraction only because your daughter would like a Frozen attraction. Her appreciation of it is not the debate here, the placement of the attraction is. No one is saying, "Don't build a Frozen attraction". We're saying, build a Frozen attraction, don't half @$$ it, and don't build it in Epcot.
Right... I said that from the start. What part of my comment confused you?

peter11435

I realize that WDW doesn't give a rat's tush about what any of its fans/customers think anymore, but it's still a kick in the teeth to have your feedback ignored and erased.

No company that exists to earn a profit "doesn't give a rat's tush about what any of its fans/customers think." Of course they care what their customers think. They make dumb decisions sometimes but they are not dumb enough to be unaware of where that profit comes from.

Disney is not spending money on a frozen attraction because they think it will be really cool. They are not doing it so that the executives can take turns riding. They are doing it because they think it will be profitable for them. They think it is what their customers want. And judging by the success of the film, frozen merchandise sales, continued popularity of all frozen experiences at walt disney world, they are probably right.

Obviously this is not what the hardcore fans or vocal online community wants. However that says nothing of the opinion of millions of other guests that visit wdw. Make no mistake. Disney would not spend money on this if they didn't think people wanted it. It's one thing to make unpopular decisions in the name of budget cuts. But even disney is not dumb enough to make large capital expenditures on projects that their customers do not want.

I understand being upset your feedback was deleted. However that doesn't mean it was ignored. They obviously are well aware of yours and many others objections to the project. You can't expect a company like disney who thrives on their brand and public image to sit back and allow negative publicity on their own social media platforms.

Last edited:

Adam5897

Yeah, they can build a Frozen attraction in MK even if they got rid of *Gasp* Peter Pan's flight.. Nah I'd still be upset if they got rid of that, it's a classic and one of the few things little boys like to do in fantasyland.

I thought this whole Frozen in Norway thing made me mad, but hearing any suggestion relating to removing Peter Pan makes me go insane (lol ill remember this when I get mad about Frozen).But in all seriousness I really want a quality Frozen ride..in Magic Kingdom, or even Hollywood Studios. Just not EPCOT.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom