Disney Christmas Parade! Whats your take?

ExtinctJenn

I absolutely loved the NPH opening. I told my husband it was the best opening they'd done in years. I really enjoyed it.

We had a moment of OMG while watching the parade this year though...

On Friday, the 6th, we had breakfast at Boma while on our trip. On our way out as we went back through the lobby there was a guy standing there wearing tight black jeans, a black tux coat with leather trim and studs around the opening and a blue bowtie. He had big poofy black hair and was wearing sunglasses. My husband I and each said that he had to be SOMEONE because who in the world comes to Disney dressed like that? A few seconds later a VIP CM walked up to him and began talking to him. As we got to the car I said I wished I had taken a picture of him so I could post it on these forums to see if anyone knew who he was. Kind of forgot about it after that and went on with life... until Christmas morning when we were watching the parade and they were running through the list of people to perform and got to Il Volo. I yelled "OH MY GOD... HONEY COME HERE!" and rewound our DVR to pause it on the image of the Il Volo guys. He took one look and cracked up because we realized the guy we saw in the AKL lobby was a member of Il Volo, and was in fact, wearing the same outfit. I don't know if he was on his way to film the segment or had just gotten back (it was around 8:45am) but no doubt, it was him! Too funny!

lebeau

Many people in America under 30 grew up with Nick Cannon in their life. Many people remember the kids comedy show All That which he got his start in. We remember him in many tv shows and movies that we grew up with. And now that we are the age of parenthood and having kids it uses a person we grew up with to bring back our own childhood memories. As for ahost kids things he is really perfect for if you see him in many of his other material. The Disney parade did not good job showing how well he connects to children. He will always take the time to get on the same level as kids talking to them

Did he shout every line on those TV shows?

It's like someone told him that volume = funny.

ExtinctJenn

Did he shout every line on those TV shows?

It's like someone told him that volume = funny.
I noticed that last year as well. Honestly I think he's one of those people who doesn't realize that just because it's insanely loud around him, the mic doesn't need him to be louder than the crowd and will pick him up just fine.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I’m probably in the minority here, but I’m not sure what the need is for celebrities to host the parade anyway. My guess is people might appreciate the parade more if they replaced the “celebrity” hosts with Mickey and Minnie (or other characters). Besides, call me old fashioned, but part of me cringed when I saw a man (who plays a sexual addicted womanizer on TV), host this parade. Thankfully, they didn’t let MC swing down Main Street on her wrecking ball. ;)

You don't think men should host the parade? What about when Regis hosted it?

lebeau

I noticed that last year as well. Honestly I think he's one of those people who doesn't realize that just because it's insanely loud around him, the mic doesn't need him to be louder than the crowd and will pick him up just fine.

Maybe. I don't think he does the shout thing on America's Got Talent. He's not funny on that show either, but he's not shouting.

The best was his Will Smith-lite performance in the Day of the Dead remake. Shudder.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I'm betting that in WDW, Santa showed up right behind, they just didn't air it. You'll notice that in the broadcast they staggered the appearances of the characters between WDW and DL, no doubt to preserve the magic. Nothing like spending Christmas morn in the home answering the kids' question of "How can Aladdin be in Florida AND California at the same time?"

Nope. I was there all day- no Santa in WDW. A number of characters were missing, because they appeared in the Disneyland portion of the parade. Did you notice that Stitch, for example, was on the candy float usually occupied by Goofy?

midwest_mice

Nope. I was there all day- no Santa in WDW. A number of characters were missing, because they appeared in the Disneyland portion of the parade. Did you notice that Stitch, for example, was on the candy float usually occupied by Goofy?
I did notice Stitch on Goofy's float. I think last year Stitch took the place of Santa at one of the parks for the parade

midwest_mice

I absolutely loved the NPH opening. I told my husband it was the best opening they'd done in years. I really enjoyed it.

We had a moment of OMG while watching the parade this year though...

On Friday, the 6th, we had breakfast at Boma while on our trip. On our way out as we went back through the lobby there was a guy standing there wearing tight black jeans, a black tux coat with leather trim and studs around the opening and a blue bowtie. He had big poofy black hair and was wearing sunglasses. My husband I and each said that he had to be SOMEONE because who in the world comes to Disney dressed like that? A few seconds later a VIP CM walked up to him and began talking to him. As we got to the car I said I wished I had taken a picture of him so I could post it on these forums to see if anyone knew who he was. Kind of forgot about it after that and went on with life... until Christmas morning when we were watching the parade and they were running through the list of people to perform and got to Il Volo. I yelled "OH MY GOD... HONEY COME HERE!" and rewound our DVR to pause it on the image of the Il Volo guys. He took one look and cracked up because we realized the guy we saw in the AKL lobby was a member of Il Volo, and was in fact, wearing the same outfit. I don't know if he was on his way to film the segment or had just gotten back (it was around 8:45am) but no doubt, it was him! Too funny!
More than likely he was finished singing already for the day. I was in the MK on the 10th of Dec very early for a tour and they were filming a group singing for their overseas broadcast and they had "extras" standing in for the crowd. Quite the production for that.

scottb411

Had nothing to do with the parade but this has to be the best moment from any of the parade shows that I have seen over the years with Celine Dion at the Grand Floridian. I actually was walking into the Grand Floridian just as the song was finishing when it was being performed. They were supposed to have taped the performance in front of Cinderella Castle that year but it was nothing but rain that day and in the future forecast for the weekend in 2009:

ExtinctJenn

I think having Mickey, or some other character families associate with Disney would be a good change. Just my opinion of course.
I think the idea here though is to showcase names people know from the celebrity world and have them associate them with being fans of vacationing at the Disney Parks.

LucyK

I watched more for NPH and Il Volo because I knew it would be a huge Magic Band ad.

NPH is a cutie and I'm a huge fan! His enthusiasm for life should be bottled and sold. I don't know if you guys follow him on twitter, but he's very sincere about what he likes/dislikes and everytime he goes to Disney he gets as excited as a little boy. He was a perfect fit for hosting the parade and the opening act was very well done.

Il Volo ROCKS my word, they are one of my favorite vocal groups. Do look them up if you have the chance, their records are amazing!

I also noticed how they carefully worded the MB/FP+ explanation into making everyone think they can book their whole day using it. Good job on misleading the newcomers Disney!

Last edited:

luv

I also noticed how they carefully worded the MB/FP+ explanation into making everyone think they can book their whole day using it. Good job on misleading the newcomers Disney!
I noticed that, too. It was very misleading.

If they lead people to believe that they get to skip ALL the lines, ALL the time, they're going to end up with angry customers onsite and disappointed people spreading bad word-of-mouth when they return home.

Under-promise, over-deliver. I practiced this myself long before I ever heard old Walt did things that way. It's the best way to make people happy. :)

Bait-and-switch is very poor customer service, Disney!!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom