Demand Based Pricing Will Be A Reality - Let's Be Objective

POLY LOVER

It's worth it. If they double the price, and there are half the crowds, I would pay it. It gets to the point where there's so many people that it completely ruins the experience.

well I guess what I was concerned about if I raised the prices on my weekend times, it would tick off my loyal weekend guests and they would stop coming so I would have reduced revenue on the weekend and maybe picked up some business during the slow weekday times. Now in my case to draw people to the weekdays I had to reduce prices/run specials etc. I guess they know what they are doing , they have mobs of analitics people who do nothing but mine data and crunch scenarios.

ULPO46

well I guess what I was concerned about if I raised the prices on my weekend times, it would tick off my loyal weekend guests and they would stop coming so I would have reduced revenue on the weekend and maybe picked up some business during the slow weekday times. Now in my case to draw people to the weekdays I had to reduce prices/run specials etc. I guess they know what they are doing , they have mobs of analitics people who do nothing but mine data and crunch scenarios.
Yes a bunch of recent college grads getting paid 20k a year to use spreadheets to justify the cost and offsets. yes I do agree that the crowds that 2015 has seen has become a huge problem that limits the guest experience. But I don't believe it's a solution to ruin the experience of our largest monopoly, AP holders and repeat guest. Sure a grand majority of guest are foreigners but lets face it there are at least 2 million AP holders and more than half of those live within 2 hours of Resort Property. As an ex Florida Resident who's family used to come to the parks all the time, we'd save money on hotels by staying off site on 192 or I-drive at a Holiday Inn where the free continental breakfast was always a perk. Not every repeat guest is going to stay on property because lets face it multi day stay on property adds up and unlike holiday inn and countless others there are no reward point systems in place on Disney Hotels, something that I've thought of really wanting to push but never makes it past the drawing board. These price increases will have to be justified and let me tell you something, vacationing is a luxury. Many first timers do save a lifetime to visit Disney world and yes it is a luxury for them as they have nothing like it where they come from. Sure we have places like Cedar Point, Kings Island, Kings Dominion, Six Flags, Knotts Berry Farm, Coney Island, and everything else in between, but there is only one Disney Experience. Only one Disneyland California and One Disney World Resort. I always brought up the differences between the international parks, but you just can't get enough of the original American parks. Indeed they are just such an awe inspiring place to many people not on this board and many on this board will never understand why guest act the way they do when they see the castle or they see a man in a mickey costume getting minimum wage. No matter how high it gets, people will always find a way to come and well, nothing can ever stop that. Even if the fifth gate was an exact replica of the Magic Kingdom, I think the original MK would still be as crowded, believe me Imagineering has looked at the idea before with some modifications to the castle. It just would not disperse the crowds any healthy way. It will and has always been considered the worlds most visited park. Maybe not in our lifetimes, but I think there will be a day when the MK hits capacity every last day it operates. Even if the tickets are 10k per person, the demand will always be here for the parks!

JourneysEnd

FYI, tweeting with someone at MK today. Says there are 100s of people in line at the ticket booth. I can't imagine buying a ticket last minute but obviously a lot of people do.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
FYI, tweeting with someone at MK today. Says there are 100s of people in line at the ticket booth. I can't imagine buying a ticket last minute but obviously a lot of people do.

Doesn't necessarily mean they bought them last minute. If they bought them beforehand online they will have to go to will call to get the pass. Which for most people means the ticket windows. Although there are other spots you can pick them up.

JourneysEnd

Doesn't necessarily mean they bought them last minute. If they bought them beforehand online they will have to go to will call to get the pass. Which for most people means the ticket windows. Although there are other spots you can pick them up.
Forgot about that. In fact, I had to pick mine up at the ticket window once. Never mind! :confused:

Raineman

That is why I think, if Disney is contemplating raising ticket prices to combat overcrowding, double or triple the walk-up one day pass price-this should decrease the amount of visitors a bit to start, and also give people more incentive to buy multi-day passes or APs. Make WDW a place where it is better to plan your visit ahead of time, rather than go on the spur of the moment.

Disneyhead'71

People claim that the way to solve crowds is to add more to the parks. That seems kind of counter productive to me. Even more people will come because of the new addition, and fill up all that available space. Unless it's been proven before that new additions thin out crowds, it doesn't make sense to me.
There is not a bottomless pit of demand. They could easily have stayed ahead of demand had the built through the recession. Right now we are experiencing a period of pent up demand because of the recession, but it will wane.

Disney.Mike

Disney has really done this price surge for years, now they are just talking of increasing the ticket cost itself... They have done it via free dining, increased room rates/ rack rate discounts ect...

That said, I generally alternate when I go. 1 year over Thanksgiving, then Christmas/New years the next.

Personally, I think Disney should really fill out EPCOT, Animal Kingdom, and DHS to disperse the crowds (just expand all parks some). On top of this, I think Uni has it right with the express passes and Disney should change that up. Maybe 7 a day for deluxe, 5 for mods and 1 for value. Offsite would have to purchase separately and the mod and value resorts could pay extra to upgrade to 5 a day.

The ticket prices also do need to be addressed. If they raised them to 2-300 a day during the holidays I would go every year over Christmas/New Years, but as it is, its to crowded and I enjoy the lower crows right before Thanksgiving

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Crowd levels are out of control. Touring Plans predicted yesterday to be a 7, actual was a 10.
(According to their site)

At the MK correct?, The sad thing is EPCOT if it had it's full complement of attractions has the capacity for 150,000 or so. But it and DHS have been stripped of attractions so the crowds concentrate on the MK which is made worse by all ads featuring the castle.

If WDW had not ignored the rest of the parks the crowds could be spread across all the parks and crowds would be manageable in all of them but now we have a 60/40 split with 60% of visitors at the MK with the remaining 40 split across EPCOT/DHS/AK

JourneysEnd

Touring plans for Sunday
Sunday, October 11, 2015

Resort-wide Crowd Levels
Crowd Level:
What we predicted: 8 out of 10
What we saw: 10 out of 10

JourneysEnd

At the MK correct?, The sad thing is EPCOT if it had it's full complement of attractions has the capacity for 150,000 or so. But it and DHS have been stripped of attractions so the crowds concentrate on the MK which is made worse by all ads featuring the castle.

If WDW had not ignored the rest of the parks the crowds could be spread across all the parks and crowds would be manageable in all of them but now we have a 60/40 split with 60% of visitors at the MK with the remaining 40 split across EPCOT/DHS/AK
sorry, both of the 10s are for MK
Epcot was 8 out of 10 both days
What's interesting is, HWS and AK were both 10s

jloucks

I agree, but I think they would need to limit the number of people allowed through the gate. I don't think price alone will thin the crowds out.
Price alone would thin crowds....not a price you might like, but I can assure you $1000 daily tickets would thin out the crowds. I am not recommending $1000 tickets, just pointing out that in this model, price always always affects demand.

jloucks

There is not a bottomless pit of demand. They could easily have stayed ahead of demand had the built through the recession. Right now we are experiencing a period of pent up demand because of the recession, but it will wane.

At some price point it is essentially a bottomless pit of demand. We are right at that price point currently,, based on what seem to be a bottomless pit of demand.

jloucks

I don't think price increases will affect demand until it's something drastic, like 50% or even double. A few % here and there every year is just not going to it. As much as we all ***** and complain about prices, I think a lot of people would pay $200+ a day if that gauranteed us only having to wait 15 minutes for any attraction (or whatever the magic number is.)
....$200 a day for low crowds? Pfft, in a heartbeat!

jloucks

Effective crowd control...

1 - Decist huge resort and DVC expansions

2 - Decist giving extereme discounts overseas

3 - Stop giving away the company store with free dining

...seems like a good start to me.

1) Agreed! They are pouring gas on the fire here. Not sure what their end game is.

2) Wait, wut? Extreme discounts?! That is annoying. I wonder what they are trying to accomplish. Probably a marketing initiative and the prices will return to normal at some point?

3) Don't be fooled. The price of the dining plan is fully calculated and understood by Disney. It is spread out across the price of other things. Probably all other things.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom