Demand Based Pricing Will Be A Reality - Let's Be Objective

draybook

Exactly. But people want everything. I guarantee those same people crying about Disney have 4 cell phones in their family and probably pay over $6,000 during a 2 year contract for phones. Add TV, internet, eating out, and other voluntary purchases, and people could save a lot.

Let me give an easy example. Pretty much all of America has a phone these days. Since Apple owns this market, let's use them as an example (not like Samsung is any cheaper).

Year 1
$150/month service X 12 mos = $1,800 - Based on what I know, this is reasonable for 4 lines for SERVICE only.
$699 (cheapest iPhone) X 4 phones = $2,800 - Assuming cost up front, you're paying it over the 2 years most likely.
Total Year 1 = $4,600

Year 2
$150/month service X 12 mos = $1,800
Assume you keep phones from before $0
Total Year 2 = $1,800

2 Year Grand Total = $6,400

I am even amazed at this simple analysis, but it's true for SO many families. "Rich" people don't have smartphones these days. Practically everyone you see down to about age 7 has one. Just say it out loud. "I spend $6,400 in 2 years for cell service."

Now ask yourself, "Is Disney the only company doing this?"

Just cell service would be a NICE trip to Disney, but who wants to give up cell phones?

I tried saying it out loud, but it didn't fit our scenario. We pay $100 a month for unlimited everything, and our phones totaled roughly $900. That's $3300, a far cry from $6400. Sure, it covers one nice trip, but it's not like we don't give the cell companies heck about their rates. Also, a phone is darn near a necessity, especially for families that are on the go a lot. I'd bet that the majority of people in this country don't have a land line.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Think about what Disney hasn't done yet. That they probably will do in the future. Oh I don't know, say a "resort fee", like most Vegas properties and select non-Disney owned on-property hotels. Most of these resort fees are around $20 a night.

With 30,000 rooms running at even 70% occupancy that would be about $420,000 a day or a little over 153 million a year.

Hotel Parking, which runs between $15-$20 a night for self parking at most major chains - another 140 to 150 mil a year.

Surcharges on passes for F&W, Flower & Garden, SWW, and for the Holiday decorations in November and December. Even a measly $5 daily surcharge for these events which span about half the year would equate to close to 122 million a year based on average attendance.

Voila - close to an extra half a Billion to the bottom line.

No different than an airline charging you for a checked bag or a specific seat, a hotel charging you for parking, a resort fee, or an upgrade option, and a cruise line charging for the additional dining option.

The sad part is the public is accustomed to these type of nickel and dime fees. For Disney to implement them wouldn't be much of a stretch.

Last edited:

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
I tried saying it out loud, but it didn't fit our scenario. We pay $100 a month for unlimited everything, and our phones totaled roughly $900. That's $3300, a far cry from $6400. Sure, it covers one nice trip, but it's not like we don't give the cell companies heck about their rates. Also, a phone is darn near a necessity, especially for families that are on the go a lot. I'd bet that the majority of people in this country don't have a land line.
There is a case for everyone. I did a VERY common scenario with 4 iPhones and my experience on $150/month for service. Knock of $50/month for service and you're still talking $5200.

It was a simple example to show much money people spend on cell service. It is a lot either way.

You can be argumentative, but you know people waste money and don't know how to save. We can do the same thing with eating out, Starbucks, and other frivolous purchases.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Was just there 2 weeks ago, hardly enough there to claim that you're getting value for your buck spent....
Your opinion. Others agree. Others don't.

I view it as a portfllio. DHS has needed a lot of years, they are finally getting. However, they have one of my favorite rides of all time in ToT, and that alone is worth the park ticket.

I'd pay the $400 for a 7 day park hopper to ride ToT once and see Fantasmic right now.

POLY LOVER

The only thing Disney has done wrong here is their timing. Had they done this after all the expansions were complete it would have been a blip on the screen.
Folks would have been so struck with all of the new stuff they would have perfectly understood the changes.

Lisa Boisjoli

Our last WDW vacation was August of this year and we stayed 8 days. I just got an email from Disney with a survey all about the new pricing structure. They had 8 different scenarios. They are definitely looking at 3 different price groups: Peak, Regular and Value. In all the scenarios, there were NO 2-day or 3-day tickets offered. You would need to purchase multiple 1-day tickets if you want to go for 1 to 3 days. Multi-day pricing only started at 4-day tickets. In some of the scenarios, such as a Peak time 1-day ticket to MK, the price was going to be $149.00!!!! Too much!!!

POLY LOVER

Our last WDW vacation was August of this year and we stayed 8 days. I just got an email from Disney with a survey all about the new pricing structure. They had 8 different scenarios. They are definitely looking at 3 different price groups: Peak, Regular and Value. In all the scenarios, there were NO 2-day or 3-day tickets offered. You would need to purchase multiple 1-day tickets if you want to go for 1 to 3 days. Multi-day pricing only started at 4-day tickets. In some of the scenarios, such as a Peak time 1-day ticket to MK, the price was going to be $149.00!!!! Too much!!!

OUCH, $149 for DHS at this time, I think they would definitley achieve the goal of lowering the daily crowds. You would probably only have current AP holders go there.

DisneyFans4Life

I am curious to see what the pricing is going to look like in the future for WDW. They could very well do away with 1 day tickets, or at least price them high enough to almost force people to get multiple day passes or an AP. I still think that Disney has enough of a "name" that people will still come regardless of the price. I can't lie...I'd be one of those people. I can't imagine not having a pass and not being able to go whenever I wanted.

PhilharMagician

$149.00 per day for MK over the holidays? Iger and his team should get nice fat bonuses for executing the perfect plan!

Sometimes I feel as if a lot of people forget all the things that are included in your ticket price, and the value of those things. People have previously compared DW to sporting events, but personally, I compare it to Broadway. Take the Disney shows, Lion King and Aladdin; they both run about 2 and a half hours and cost anywhere from $90-550 BEFORE tax. Nothing other than the show is included in the price of that ticket, and transportation and food adds up quickly in that area. These shows are routinely sold out and it is not uncommon for people to have paid up to $1000 for tickets on the secondary market. Ticket prices go up all the time, always without notice, yet people still keep going. At DW where you get an entire day's worth of entertainment and the entire spectacle of it all is a show in its self, and the fact that transportation and (usually) exceptional guest service is included in the price, I have a hard time agreeing with those that feel it is not worth the price of admission, even if that were to go up.

As long as improvements are being made in the parks, I do not mind a price hike. Regardless of whether or not I can personally afford it. I just don't exactly agree that this will deter crowds.

draybook

Sometimes I feel as if a lot of people forget all the things that are included in your ticket price, and the value of those things. People have previously compared DW to sporting events, but personally, I compare it to Broadway. Take the Disney shows, Lion King and Aladdin; they both run about 2 and a half hours and cost anywhere from $90-550 BEFORE tax. Nothing other than the show is included in the price of that ticket, and transportation and food adds up quickly in that area. These shows are routinely sold out and it is not uncommon for people to have paid up to $1000 for tickets on the secondary market. Ticket prices go up all the time, always without notice, yet people still keep going. At DW where you get an entire day's worth of entertainment and the entire spectacle of it all is a show in its self, and the fact that transportation and (usually) exceptional guest service is included in the price, I have a hard time agreeing with those that feel it is not worth the price of admission, even if that were to go up.

As long as improvements are being made in the parks, I do not mind a price hike. Regardless of whether or not I can personally afford it. I just don't exactly agree that this will deter crowds.

The price hikes went into effect 3 days ago. The next "improvement" that's significant is what, 6-10 months away at best?

DisneyFans4Life

No one really knows what's going on behind the scenes. All we see is construction going on now and can't expect to take advantage of the new attractions for some time. So we wonder why did prices go up now when we can't enjoy the attractions until later? I'm sure there is a ton of planning and items that require money to get these things off the ground in the first place. I don't think some CMs get together on lunch and say...let's file something with the city saying we're going to build a whole new land and then go to Home Depot after work to start buying materials.

It's been a few days since the price hike went up...I think everyone is finally starting to simmer down about it and by end of month no one will be talking about it.

Until the next price increase...lol.

CP_alum08

I don't think price increases will affect demand until it's something drastic, like 50% or even double. A few % here and there every year is just not going to it. As much as we all and complain about prices, I think a lot of people would pay $200+ a day if that gauranteed us only having to wait 15 minutes for any attraction (or whatever the magic number is.)

Nick Wilde

People claim that the way to solve crowds is to add more to the parks. That seems kind of counter productive to me. Even more people will come because of the new addition, and fill up all that available space. Unless it's been proven before that new additions thin out crowds, it doesn't make sense to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom