DCL Revises Alcohol Policy

Phonedave

I agree! And I asked a lot about drink packages moving forward, and they said they have hear zero rumors or information on drink packages outside of the wine package, the beer mug and the hurricane cup discounts. Are you serious on the $17 a drink? We were drinking top shelf and never paid over $10. (I thought we were expensive alcoholics)

I wonder if it depends upon which bar you go to? Last month, we were on the Magic and we went to Keys quite a bit. This one drink I'd taken a shine to was $16. Now Keys has a piano player and the servers prepare your drinks table side, so I am thinking maybe you're paying a bit extra for that in a place like Keys v. a regular bar?

I don't think I paid more than $12 or so for a drink on DCL. Somebody mentioned a $17 drink earlier, that's where I was getting that number from.

-dave

sweetpee_1993

I don't think I paid more than $12 or so for a drink on DCL. Somebody mentioned a $17 drink earlier, that's where I was getting that number from.

-dave
I've paid $20/glass for Moët Ice in Diversions on the Wonder. $12-ish for a martini in Cadillac Lounge. $12-$15 for some martinis in Sky Line & Meridian on the Dream.

I'll always still pack my liquor on Disney. Just more effort now. And I will NOT tip additional for cocktails on Disney ships like I used to.

jaklgreen

I've paid $20/glass for Moët Ice in Diversions on the Wonder. $12-ish for a martini in Cadillac Lounge. $12-$15 for some martinis in Sky Line & Meridian on the Dream.

I'll always still pack my liquor on Disney. Just more effort now. And I will NOT tip additional for cocktails on Disney ships like I used to.

Why would you punish the employees by not tipping? Its not their idea to change the policy. That's like going to an expensive restaurant and not tipping because you think the prices are too high. I think that is bad form. JMHO

ChuckElias

Why would you punish the employees by not tipping? Its not their idea to change the policy. That's like going to an expensive restaurant and not tipping because you think the prices are too high. JMHO
It's not actually like that. A tip (I believe it's 18%) is already automatically added to bar orders. She's just saying that she won't add anything to that, which she has done in the past. So she's not stiffing the employee. She's merely tipping 18% instead of 20%.

sweetpee_1993

Why would you punish the employees by not tipping? Its not their idea to change the policy. That's like going to an expensive restaurant and not tipping because you think the prices are too high. I think that is bad form. JMHO

It's not actually like that. A tip (I believe it's 18%) is already automatically added to bar orders. She's just saying that she won't add anything to that, which she has done in the past. So she's not stiffing the employee. She's merely tipping 18% instead of 20%.

This. DCL automatically tacks on 18%. We used to always up that to the nearest dollar + $2 or $3 per drink. Not happening anymore. 18% is all I'll give. Additionally, I make it a point to spend less on bar drinks.

jaklgreen

That's fair. I am not a drinker and did not realize they add tip. I am glad that they do because I am sure some people would not tip at all.

Wendy Pleakley

At the bar while waiting for Remy on the Fantasy, there was a drink that cost over $1000 a shot. Some fancy aged Scotch or the like, I believe.

I thought it was interesting that I would be charged a mandatory $180 tip for being served one drink. I suppose if you can afford to spend that much on a drink, you can afford the tip. Still, it's hard to wrap my head around it.

KCL

At the bar while waiting for Remy on the Fantasy, there was a drink that cost over $1000 a shot. Some fancy aged Scotch or the like, I believe.

I thought it was interesting that I would be charged a mandatory $180 tip for being served one drink. I suppose if you can afford to spend that much on a drink, you can afford the tip. Still, it's hard to wrap my head around it.

Geez, I hope people are sipping it and not shooting it.

PirateFrank

Refreshing this one...

We just got off our last 'BYOA' cruise with Disney before the new policy went into effect (Hurricane Joaquin...ugh). We chatted about the change with several bartenders and officers aboard. Everyone gave us a similar answer for the change in the alcohol policy (the answers were similar but not enough to seem like a prepped response)
  • Parents are providing and over-serving liquor to their minor kids 15-17, those kids are behaving inappropriately in the teen clubs, causing issues with other teens and getting injured. Parents when dealing with the aftermath were blaming bartenders, even though Disney / the bartenders could easily prove they never served the minors and have sued DCL.
  • Adults being over-served and the bartenders being fired for 'over-serving' folks who got their last drink from their stateroom and not a bartender. Any trip and fall or injury associated with alcohol gets the last bartender in trouble (several said it was an automatic dismissal)
They said the date aligned with other policy changes that impacted the crew. We received a lot of very candid feedback from the staff this trip, both good and bad but all stuff you know that DCL doesn't want their team sharing with guests.

Overall I'm thinking over-served entitled a-holes are responsible for this change moreso than corporate greed.

Hey, Im bumping this thread ... Because Im hoping some recent cruisers can corroborate a thought I had after reading this post. I remember when I cruised on the Dream back in '13, I was able to order 12 or 24 bottles of beer to my stateroom. Since I had not carried on any beer for that cruise, I ended up taking them up on it and ordering a 12-pack of stella to be put in my stateroom for the cruise.

If the suggestion that the basis for this change is that people are getting their 'last drink' from the stateroom and not the bartender....

...can any recent (after the policy change) cruisers confirm that DCL is still selling beer packages that are delivered to the staterooms?

Because if that's the case, the suggestion made by bartenders and officers is a bold-faced lie.

Rodan75

Hey, Im bumping this thread ... Because Im hoping some recent cruisers can corroborate a thought I had after reading this post. I remember when I cruised on the Dream back in '13, I was able to order 12 or 24 bottles of beer to my stateroom. Since I had not carried on any beer for that cruise, I ended up taking them up on it and ordering a 12-pack of stella to be put in my stateroom for the cruise.

If the suggestion that the basis for this change is that people are getting their 'last drink' from the stateroom and not the bartender....

...can any recent (after the policy change) cruisers confirm that DCL is still selling beer packages that are delivered to the staterooms?

Because if that's the case, the suggestion made by bartenders and officers is a bold-faced lie.

The only 2 pre-sale packages I remember on the cruise I mentioned was water and Wine...but I don't remember if the wine was delivered to the room or not.

lostpro9het

You sure can. This is in addition to the refillable beer mug they sell:
image.jpg

FigmentPigments

I may be confused so please correct me if I'm wrong, but the policy is for guests 21 and over. Does that mean that each 21 and over guest can bring in a 6 pack each or 2 bottles of wine each? If that is true, than my family of three can have 18 beers or six bottles of wine. Am I reading that correctly?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom