DCL Revises Alcohol Policy

Ariel1986

We stressed about finding a way to sneak stuff in, not thinking it would work- and ended up just splitting some liquors between a couple of small collapsible water/drink pouches, each carrying one in our carry on bags thinking they might be opened and checked anyway- but nothing was. Even half opened/full water bottles (that were just water) that we'd also brought on weren't checked. We were annoyed we didn't try to bring more!

As others have said it's not about being cheap it's the convenience and wanting to have a few drinks in the room- we aren't wine people, so the current carry on allowance didn't really work for us.

yfd326

I have been on many cruises on different cruise lines. I have dropped off luggage at the curb, the attendant takes the bags and tosses them onto...into a large freight cage based on the color tags attached to the bag. Then a forklift comes to carry the cage to the right part of the ship.

The cruise line is a fast paced system. So much so that I dont think anyone is removing the bags and putting them on a conveyor once the cage is packed tight.

My idea is to pack the "water" bottles inside some luggage. Then carry on that "allowable" items which I know will be scanned.

I don't think we are being cheap. Just being on the cruise proves that. I just think that 12 dollar watered down drinks are something I think we should be allowed to work around.

jaklgreen

I don't really drink much on vacation or in the room (at all). I keep that for time away from the family.

I thought I was the only one that drink myself silly on a family vacation. We are not drinkers, don't have beer or liquor in the house. On a couple of occasions a year, I will go out with my sister and have a mixed drink. But since I do not drink often, 1 or 2 is all that I can handle. I cruise with just my 2 girls and want to keep a clear head since I am the one and only adult. Maybe if a person drinks on a regular basis at home then having a drink or 2 does not affect them like it does me. I do not feel the need to have a "night cap" or a drink at the end of the night. I do not crave alcohol or the feeling it gives you. I am a control freak and do not like the feeling of being fuzzy brained and not in control that drinking gives you. And I definitely do not want to have any impairment when I am responsible for my kids. I don't understand how parents can sit there at the pool with their buckets of beer when they are supposed to be watching their kids swim.

flynnibus

Premium Member
And I definitely do not want to have any impairment when I am responsible for my kids. I don't understand how parents can sit there at the pool with their buckets of beer when they are supposed to be watching their kids swim.

Different for me. Family = responsibility and obligations to lead them. I drink at dinner... I goto the bar and drink down there.. but that may be tops 3-4 drinks a day. Usually more like 1-2 if any that day. I drink alcohol more for the effect than the taste.

I boil it down to.. why would I ever want to get sloppy drunk and then have to go home to my kids? Or get loopy and then have to be around all sober people? It's kind of self-defeating.

I don't drink wine. I don't drink for the taste really... so I have no need for it in my room, or just for a single drink, etc.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I am not the one patting myself on the back for not drinking on vacation. ;)

I never did such a thing. I only stated the facts around my habits. I don't claim any superiority or success from it. I simply stated why I don't. The reasons I drink are generally incompatible with things I enjoy about family and vise versa.

Sans Souci

I never did such a thing. I only stated the facts around my habits. I don't claim any superiority or success from it. I simply stated why I don't. The reasons I drink are generally incompatible with things I enjoy about family and vise versa.

I think you may have misunderstood me. :) I should have quoted the person I meant and it wasn't you. It was done quickly. If people like to drink on or not vacation, it has no bearing on me.

jaklgreen

I think you may have misunderstood me. :) I should have quoted the person I meant and it wasn't you. It was done quickly. If people like to drink on or not vacation, it has no bearing on me.

If you do not regularly drink during the year then having 1-2 drinks will get a person tipsy. Enough to where it does impair your senses. Which is not something I am wanting to do when I am responsible for my kids. I know there are those who have built up their tolerances for alcohol and probably do not feel it the first couple of drinks, but do they stop there? Go on the cruise and look around the pool deck, you will see people with their buckets of beer just drinking for hours while their kids are in the pool. To me, that is a recipe for disaster, especially when your child is in the pool and is supposed to be watched by you. I really do not care if a person is drinking on vacation or not. But to feel the need to sneak on hard liquor and then try to say that, oh I won't really drink that much only 1 a night, just doesn't jive. I think people drink for something to do. Like that is their entertainment. They can't just sit there and watch their kids.

Phonedave

If you do not regularly drink during the year then having 1-2 drinks will get a person tipsy. Enough to where it does impair your senses. Which is not something I am wanting to do when I am responsible for my kids. I know there are those who have built up their tolerances for alcohol and probably do not feel it the first couple of drinks, but do they stop there? Go on the cruise and look around the pool deck, you will see people with their buckets of beer just drinking for hours while their kids are in the pool. To me, that is a recipe for disaster, especially when your child is in the pool and is supposed to be watched by you. I really do not care if a person is drinking on vacation or not. But to feel the need to sneak on hard liquor and then try to say that, oh I won't really drink that much only 1 a night, just doesn't jive. I think people drink for something to do. Like that is their entertainment. They can't just sit there and watch their kids.

Well you can think what you want, but I know what I do. If I am with my kids on vacation (and not driving), I may have a few drinks (like 3 or 4) spaced out during the day. Maybe one in the early afternoon, a drink or two with dinner, and then one later in the evening. Never do I become to to point where I could not handle an emergency situation. Think whatever you want about people with "buckets of beer" but you have no idea how many people are dinking that beer, how long they are taking to drink the beer, or if in fact there was a "designated parent" around.

jaklgreen

Well you can think what you want, but I know what I do. If I am with my kids on vacation (and not driving), I may have a few drinks (like 3 or 4) spaced out during the day. Maybe one in the early afternoon, a drink or two with dinner, and then one later in the evening. Never do I become to to point where I could not handle an emergency situation. Think whatever you want about people with "buckets of beer" but you have no idea how many people are dinking that beer, how long they are taking to drink the beer, or if in fact there was a "designated parent" around.

All true. Like I said, others may have built up more of a tolerance for alcohol and can drink a few drinks throughout the day with no issues. But I still think that if you are trying to smuggle a bottle of hard liquor onto the boat, you are not planning on having a "casual" drink once or twice a day. You definitely do not need a whole bottle of booze for that. If the goal is to have 1 nightcap then it is better just to go get it at the bar and bring it back to your room then try to bring a bottle with you against the rules. I wonder, if the DCL was a "dry" ship, no alcohol at all would people refuse to take their family on the trip because they have to have alcohol? Do you need to drink in order to have a nice vacation? I am all for drinking when appropriate,and as long as parents are responsible, I have no issue with drinking. But just as a human nature study, I wonder how many people would not go if that was the case. We should have a poll: Would you go on the cruise if there was no alcohol at all?

Phonedave

All true. Like I said, others may have built up more of a tolerance for alcohol and can drink a few drinks throughout the day with no issues. But I still think that if you are trying to smuggle a bottle of hard liquor onto the boat, you are not planning on having a "casual" drink once or twice a day. You definitely do not need a whole bottle of booze for that. If the goal is to have 1 nightcap then it is better just to go get it at the bar and bring it back to your room then try to bring a bottle with you against the rules. I wonder, if the DCL was a "dry" ship, no alcohol at all would people refuse to take their family on the trip because they have to have alcohol? Do you need to drink in order to have a nice vacation? I am all for drinking when appropriate,and as long as parents are responsible, I have no issue with drinking. But just as a human nature study, I wonder how many people would not go if that was the case. We should have a poll: Would you go on the cruise if there was no alcohol at all?

If I was going with my kids, yes. If I was going with just my wife - no.

As as bringing alcohol on board to have a drink in the room vs. going down to the bar, it is a toss up for me. I am not a big fan of "simple" mixed drinks - rum and coke, jack and code, vodka and cranberry, etc (however I do like gin and tonics). I do like single malt scotch on the rock, but most of what I prefer to drink is not something that I can make in a stateroom with limited ingredients. I also dont want the same thing night after night. However, as I said, sometimes I am rlaxing and I don't want to change to something approprite to go into a public area, or I just dont feel like going to a bar, and then back to the room. I guess you could get drinks delivered to your room if you wanted to, but that would cost and arm and a leg I supposee.

I happly went to MK many many times when I was a "dry" park and never felt the need to smuggle any alcohol in, because it is a different situation.

yfd326

Someone in our group works at a beverage company (not saying the name). We are taking water 6 packs and replacing the water with Vodka. Then resealing the plastic shrink wrap around the pack. Pretty sure that will work.

Happy to report our water bottle/alcohol scheme worked. We took 2.75 liter bottle of Grey Goose and divided it up into the water bottles. When aboard we put juice into cups and added the alcohol. Worked like a charm.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom