Dangerous rides?

ebof1023

Ok so there's 4 rides I don't get on. I'll ride mission space, but only the green side. Even without heath issues, I know several people who just didn't feel right after riding orange. It put them out for the rest of the day.
yeah that happened to like 3 of my family members.

ImagineerDude

I didn't love space mountain, but I can do it I think because it's also enclosed. Not to mention its dark and I cant see whats coming, there's no scary anticipation of a drop I can't see.
I think that's more scary than seeing what is coming...but they are all fun :)

Raven66

I have this great fear of rollercoasters. I did RnRc one time. I did not feel the loops. I don't go on it anymore because I have the irrational fear that my daughter is going to fall out. She is 15 and taller then me, but I'm still scared. Crazy I know. The last time we went on space mountain I had a panic attack during the ride because I was afraid she was going to fly out. So I let her and the husband go on RnRc together and I people watch. We all still go on space mountain together but I take lots of deep breaths and tell myself I'm just being crazy.. Bottom line is, the rides are fine, safe and I'm just a neurotic mess.:eek:

ellie-badge

Yes, yes.

Don't be THIS assclown.

Didn't Tower of Terror not have seatbelts at one point? My mother rode it with my older sister years and years ago, at least ten, and she swears that they did not have seat belts. "The cast member told me to put on my seat belt and I began to flip out saying that I didn't have one, only to have him and everybody else give me funny looks afterwards."

Regardless, I'd be scared sh*tless if I were him!

MerlinTheGoat

Didn't Tower of Terror not have seatbelts at one point? My mother rode it with my older sister years and years ago, at least ten, and she swears that they did not have seat belts. "The cast member told me to put on my seat belt and I began to flip out saying that I didn't have one, only to have him and everybody else give me funny looks afterwards."

Regardless, I'd be scared sh*tless if I were him!
Pretty certain Tower of Terror used to have a lap bar for the rows instead of seat belts, but I'm sure they'd never go without some sort of safety restraint. I rode it twice as a child near when it was first open and recall it having that bar. I only just recently rode it again last year only to find that they'd replaced the bar with seat belts. I was already having to force myself to sum up the courage to ride it, it terrified me to get on it knowing there was basically NOTHING to hold on to anymore lol! Managed to force myself to ride it. I dread the ride but I force myself to go on it because it's such an awesome overall experience.

worldfanatic

I'd really like to ride SM and EE, but my mind can't get past the idea of falling out mid ride or mid fall. So I guess my question is, has this ever been know to happen?

Don't listen to any of the previous posts trying to reassure you.
Horrible disasters, dismemberment, and death occur frequently at theme parks, especially Disney.
On my last WDW vacation, I personally witnessed 37 fatal ride accidents, resulting in 48 fatalities.
If you even consider riding anything crazier than Peter Pan, you're asking for death.
And even Peter Pan has its share of carnage. I won't even get into what I saw happen on my last ride there.

Bottom line, just stay home.

Jane Whalebones

No Danger at Disney, just lots of fun! If "this old lady" can ride every ride...honestly I believe you will be fine!:) My Disney Bucket List is now complete since I rode TOT in June!:D

sweetpee_1993

Sounds like the OP has their own mental thing that makes the thrill rides more thrilling. :D

I'm not afraid of any of the rides in WDW's 4 parks. Drop slides at water parks freak me out pretty good but I never let that be a reason not to go on them.

I used to have nightmares of my children going on rides that had bad accidents and I saw them being killed. That's just me and my freaky-mommy-overprotective thing, tho. LOL! That said, the first 2 Final Destination movies scared the bejeezus out of me. I can't watch that stuff!

As for the actual safety of Disney's rides, I think overall they're safe. Nothing in life is 100%, tho. The ongoing maintenance deficciencies we see in the show quality makes me wonder what the condition of the things we don't see really is. But then again, I choose not to live in fear of the minute what-ifs out there. There have been a few accidents in the past out in California that can be found if you Google for them. Again, how do you want to live your life: afraid of all the obscure things that can randomly take you out or willing to tackle the scariest of things and have that personal accomplishment? I'm going for it. When/if it's my time to check-out it's gonna happen no matter where I am or what I'm doing. I have faith in that. So if a ride does scare me that's the one I want to do most!

Can we go yet?

Yes, yes.

Don't be THIS assclown.
I wonder what happened to him afterwards.

Whenever I go on rides like RnRC, I feel safe (even though I may have crazy panic-attacks near the blast off part :p) because it's WDW. As other people have said on this thread, your more likley of dying of cancer than dying on a thrill ride!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Tower originally did have one lap bar for each row of 4. The seat at the back in the aisle was the only one to have a belt (seat 13, jump seat etc.)

riverscu0m0

There are stories about things like matterhorn and stuff but that was because the person didn't follow the rules, like people have said if you follow the rules you'll be fine. The laws of physics will keep you safe if you do what you're told.

Redsky89

Hundreds of thousands of people ride those rides every year probably and I don't think I've ever heard of a serious incident from WDW. Your fine.

mickey2008.1

I like the seatbelts better on TT, not for the safety, but because you dont have something in front of you to hold onto, it adds to the rde. I alwys love seat 13. I like the posts about Space Mountain, how it feels like your gonna fall off the track, or hit your hands, I think we all feel that way for some odd reason.

Now for me, the scariest ride the is Astro Orbiter. Its old, has a crappy rope belt, and when you come up and down, it feels like your gonna get thrown from the rocket, it really does have some side force.

wilkeliza

Now for me, the scariest ride the is Astro Orbiter. Its old, has a crappy rope belt, and when you come up and down, it feels like your gonna get thrown from the rocket, it really does have some side force.

I feel the same way about Astro Orbiter. I stood in a 40 minute line to ride it one night and then decided never again. I'm 24 and a kids ride got me to say never again. At night and how high up it is it was so scary and every time I would go up or down I felt like I was going to loss breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Walt Disney1955

hehe, to the OP don't worry about it. Disney is so far removed from a bush league theme park that it isn't even funny. To be honest, with all the safety restraints on rides these days there is no way you are getting hurt on a coaster unless you cause it, and even then it is pretty hard. Honestly, if you set out to purposely kill yourself on a rollercoaster you'd have a hard time doing it. There is one park though that had a reputation for casualties:

Action Park was in New Jersey and it ran from 1978 to 1996. Six people got killed because of the rides there and ti wa not their fault. The youtube comments are hilarious in that video. One of them says "They should re-open this place put all the terrorists there and make them go on the rides." Needless to say it had a reputation.

But honestly, even for that era, Action Park was a novelty. They were careless with their attractions. Disney and every other theme park today is not. Maybe you can worry a bit about going on a carney ride when the operator is drunk half the time but not at a professional park.

Even the deaths you hear about at theme parks are always the guests fault. Even at Six Flags. The kid who got hit by the coaster retrieving his hat had to climb a couple of fences. The war veteran who fell off the Superman coaster at Darien Lake last year didn't have any legs and should have known the riskIn 1995 I witnessed first hand a woman who almost fell into the water on the Maelstrom ride at Epcot. She was right in front of us. Her husband for some weird reason got off the boat before it started. She looked up, followed him just as the ride started. Her leg went into the crack between the boat and the dock. She gave the operator hell but it was HER fault 100%. They don't say "keep your arms and legs inside" for kicks.

Lastly, don't hesitate riding Splash Mountain. It is arguably the loveliest and most magical ride at Disney. You will be 100% safe on it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom