Dangerous rides?

YoungNY

Original Poster
There are 3 rides at Disney World I will not get on. Splash Mountain, Expedition Everest and Rockin Roller Coster. My ride rule is no steep drops and nothing that goes upside down, however I love tower of terror. Or I have a love/hate relationship with it. I'm terrified of it, have a panic attack every time, but I come off laughing. I realized my problem with those other rides isn't the drops, but that the drops are "open". ToT is enclosed, which I think is why I'm ok with it.

I'd really like to ride SM and EE, but my mind can't get past the idea of falling out mid ride or mid fall. So I guess my question is, has this ever been know to happen?

wilkeliza

If these rides were dangerous they wouldn't be open. I don't know of any time that something has happened at Disney as long as guests are following the rules. Remember R&R has over the shoulder restrains so there is no way you are going anywhere. Expedition Everest is a lap belt but an individual lap belt and Splash is lap belt as well. Remember up until a few years ago Splash operated everyday with no lap belts at all. They only got added because people were getting off before the drop. As long as you are healthy and have 3/4 of your limbs you should never fall out of the ride vehicle unless you are purposely trying to and even then it is ridiculously hard.

MattC

I've heard stories but nothing confirmed. Google it. But I would say that based on the number of people who ride coasters everyday the odds are astronomical. Better chance of being in the rain forrest while it starts to snow, lighting strikes you, and a plane falls on your head followed by an asteroid. ( I may have exaggerated a little :) )

ImagineerDude

There are 3 rides at Disney World I will not get on. Splash Mountain, Expedition Everest and Rockin Roller Coster. My ride rule is no steep drops and nothing that goes upside down, however I love tower of terror. Or I have a love/hate relationship with it. I'm terrified of it, have a panic attack every time, but I come off laughing. I realized my problem with those other rides isn't the drops, but that the drops are "open". ToT is enclosed, which I think is why I'm ok with it.

I'd really like to ride SM and EE, but my mind can't get past the idea of falling out mid ride or mid fall. So I guess my question is, has this ever been know to happen?
If you can ride SM, you can TOTALLY ride Splash...it is SOOO much smoother, and if feel like it's lap bars hold me in better than SM...Big Thunder had some horror stories, none recently...

spacemt354

Chili's
Nothing dangerous about any of the rides!

Alot of the nervousness comes from the anticipation. This happens more on Splash than EE. On EE, there as much of a buildup to the drop, it just kinda happens and it's not even the finale, it's in the middle of the ride. If you don't like drops, you really shouldn't worry about EE. It'll be over before you can even get nervous about it! :)

As for Splash Mountain, that has a build up to the drop. My grandma (who is 75!) never liked the drop either, but I was able to convince her to go on last year. She loved the drop! I sat with her right in the front row. I told her when we got to the top to look out at the view, because from the top you can see the castle, Space Mountain, and the contemporary. (At night it's even better, imo) Once she saw the view, she forgot about the nervousness before the drop. She just enjoyed it, and getting soaked at the end was also a nice touch.

And if you ever want to ride Rock n Roller Coaster. Do it! Trust me, it goes so fast (speedwise and timewise) that it's just a whirlwind. And the flips again just happen. And it's in the dark! You really can't see for the most part.

But again, nothing dangerous or else they wouldn't be running, and I'm sure you will like them!

YoungNY

Original Poster
I didn't love space mountain, but I can do it I think because it's also enclosed. Not to mention its dark and I cant see whats coming, there's no scary anticipation of a drop I can't see.

ellie-badge

If you have no problem riding Mission: Space, which has had a number of health-related issues reported throughout the few years of its operation, then you shouldn't have a problem on the others. Mission: Space is the one ride in all of WDW that I refuse to ride.

lilclerk

I didn't love space mountain, but I can do it I think because it's also enclosed. Not to mention its dark and I cant see whats coming, there's no scary anticipation of a drop I can't see.
Rock n' Roller Coaster is enclosed and in the dark, too. It does have a loop and is much faster, but I don't find it scary like I do Space Mountain.
But as everyone else has said, you are perfectly safe on these rides. If you really are uncomfortable going on them, though, don't force yourself. They're not worth a panic attack! Lots of people go to WDW without doing any thrill rides =)
I will say, if you can get yourself into it, definitely do Splash Mountain. While it does have some technical difficulties with the animatronics, it really is one of the best rides on property.

wilkeliza

I rode the People Mover through Space Mountain when the lights were on and ever since then I flench all the time because when the lights are on you realize how close those tracks cross each other.

ebof1023

I rode the People Mover through Space Mountain when the lights were on and ever since then I flench all the time because when the lights are on you realize how close those tracks cross each other.
we always joke when were on it not to put your hands up of else youll get them cut off by the other track.

lilclerk

It's not even that to me. I kind of like that thrill. I feel like the car is going to go flying off the track on every turn. I know it's supposed to feel like that, but I don't trust the tracks there, haha.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Odds of dying in a car, 1 in 6,700 (Harvard Risk assessment). Odds of dying on a rollercoaster, 1 in 300,000,000 (Old Dominion risk assessment). Case in point, you have a better chance of dying from cancer, heart disease, and AIDS, and topped off with a car accident than on a coaster.

spacemt354

Chili's
If you have no problem riding Mission: Space, which has had a number of health-related issues reported throughout the few years of its operation, then you shouldn't have a problem on the others. Mission: Space is the one ride in all of WDW that I refuse to ride.

I agree. If you can take Mission:Space you can take anything. And you said you don't like drops. Well in Mission:Space you divebomb right into Mars! haha talk about a drop. ;) I know it's a little different, but my point is MS is the most intense ride in disney, so you should be good with anything else.

YoungNY

Original Poster

Ok so there's 4 rides I don't get on. I'll ride mission space, but only the green side. Even without heath issues, I know several people who just didn't feel right after riding orange. It put them out for the rest of the day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom