D23 Star Wars Info - A Galaxy of Stories: Photos, Video, Deep Thoughts

D.Silentu

My absolute favorite thing about the model is how it really seems to 'fit' Disneyland. Post Star Wars prequels and new films there are so many 'Flash Gordon' type opportunities that the imagineers might have chosen. Instead, we're getting a more subdued sci-fi that appears to grow naturally out of Frontierland and Critter Country(though thankfully secluded and obscured from both). This is such a satisfactory choice, drawing from the architecture of the series that looks like Star Wars, and yet seems to draw from more timeless influences.

BrianLo

I wonder if the Iron Man themed version from overseas will be overlaid in the building.

Short answer no, that's off the table.

Whatever it is I imagine it will be a combined effort between WDW and DL... or it will just continue to kick around to receive future trilogy tie in scenes.

BrianLo

At this rate I fully expect Star Tours to just sit empty and complete Tomorrowland's "urban blight" theme.

Maybe there will be a shocking left field development and Tomorrowland will actually get attention in the next few years. I'm just surprised they suddenly are working on MK's. Could there be hope?

For what a great place DL is... I don't think any Dis park (other than I guess Epcot) has a literal rotting attraction on stage.

180º

Wow! It's very impressive, beautiful, extravagant, etc. I'm genuinely impressed with how lavish and expansive it is.

That said, I still wish it weren't coming to Disneyland, and I'm already daydreaming about bulldozing it. That's a debate for the "Wookiees...OH WHY?!?!" thread, but in the meantime I thought I'd at least add the short version of my opinion to the tapestry of reactions here. :)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Starting to wonder if @TP2000 got locked in the furniture store.... Should we call for help?

I think an Imagineer spotted him because of his school pin. They exchanged the secret handshake and the Imagineer has invited him to the secret lounge and is regaling him of future park secrets. Then the 'adult' masquerade party began...

SuddenStorm

Star Wars Land looks impressive- but it doesn't look like "Disneyland".

I wish the imagineers had used this opportunity to build a new land similar to New orleans Square, featuring 2 E Tickets that are original attractions, and unique architecture and theming that you will only find in Disneyland.

I fully expect them to have a fast pass system in place granting entry into the land and each ride, before locking you out of riding more attractions in SWL to help with the wait times in the land for the first few months.

But, with any luck, this will pull people off of the Mansion, Splash Mountain, and Space Mountain so we can enjoy shorter wait times on classic Disneyland attractions.

BasiltheBatLord

I'm not really getting what's so visually appealing about this. It seems kind of... bland? I'm not sure what the right word is for it, but it doesn't scream "this looks cool" to me, on an external level. It might be because they couldn't decide on/didn't want a specific world to do so they just kind of made up a random one with no significant or unique characteristics. That shouldn't detract from the attractions though.

oo_nrb

I wish the imagineers had used this opportunity to build a new land similar to New orleans Square, featuring 2 E Tickets that are original attractions, and unique architecture and theming that you will only find in Disneyland.

What about this architecture and design is not unique? I mean, aside from the fact that it's going into DHS as well. The land looks unmistakably like anything you would find in any other place in the world.

I think it's gorgeous and it's going to perfectly blend into Frontierland and Critter Country.

Californian Elitist

Star Wars Land looks impressive- but it doesn't look like "Disneyland".

Ditto. I fear those days are long gone. Cars Land, Avatar Land, Toy Story Land, Star Wars Land, apparently Marvel Land... This is undoubtedly the era of taking environments from movies and placing them in theme parks.

Placement aside, the artwork looks exactly like something straight out of Star Wars. It's something I've seen before, so it's hard for me to get excited about it. I'd like for once to Disney to really impress me and come up with something I've never seen before. It's easy to place fictional places from movies into the parks. Give me something fresh, or at least something without ties to a movie.

britain

Man... It's going to take them a year just to paint the patina of aging over everything! This is nothing less than the most spectacular assembly of fantasy architecture ever. There's something slightly Wizard of Oz about the many circular buildings, but so SO McQuarrie. :)

Did any of you catch this view from at 3:50 in Attractions Magazine's video? Nice view of some "distant" towering mountains on the back of the building with the First Order banner (near Millennium Falcon's show building). And at 3:14 what kind of red engine is inside the crashed vehicle serving as cover for Battle Escape queue (I'm assuming)?

I feel like it's Christmas!

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster
@TP2000 get out of that damn furniture store and look at this model!!!!!

I saw it! I actually peeked at my phone earlier this evening while talking to the interior designer, and I could only say "Ho-Lee Crap!" And the designer lady said "I beg your pardon?" and I had to explain what was going on tonight at the Anaheim Convention Center. My explanation was met with a tight smile, so I put my phone away and focused on mohair vs. chenille fabric swatches. :arghh:

I think he went to sleep in the furniture store on one of the beds, who goes in there for almost 4 hours (so far)?!?!?

I was only there for about 90 minutes, then I went to dinner with some old friends. I'm here now and I'm committed to the cause, I swear! :D

And... just wow. I am blown away. Let me look at all these preview photos and videos here and collect my thoughts. I have half a mind to drive over to the Anaheim Convention Center tomorrow and buy a day ticket and see this for myself.

SuddenStorm

What about this architecture and design is not unique? I mean, aside from the fact that it's going into DHS as well. The land looks unmistakably like anything you would find in any other place in the world.

I think it's gorgeous and it's going to perfectly blend into Frontierland and Critter Country.

I'm not disputing the quality of what they're doing- but it's distinctly "Star Wars". I can get a Star Wars experience by watching the films, playing a video game, or reading a book. I'd like something unique I can't get anywhere else.

What they're building will be great. It will be a technological wonder. I'm just not excited for it the way most others are.

The reason it will blend into Critter Country and Frontierland is because they're spending tons of money to hide the "Star Wars" from the rest of the park. Most other lands are visible from the hub, and all work together to be a cohesive "Disneyland" experience. This is gonna be a Star Wars experience, in the back corner of Disneyland.

TP2000

Original Poster

I feel like it's Christmas!

Christmas, indeed. That video is fantastic, and this model is beyond the high expectations I think many had.

I'm just blown away. I wonder what the rest of the pavilion is like, and what other details and information they provide? Really just super, super impressive. Obviously one of the biggest and most lavishly done park expansions in Disney history. It's on par with Tokyo DisneySea or slightly exceeds it. And that's amazing for the American parks.

And Bob Chapek did a fine job with his presentation! He seemed not only human, but genuinely excited and enthusiastic about things. I'd love for him to move his nametag centered onto his lapel more, or move it entirely off the lapel and onto the left placket of his blazer above the chest pocket. But that's a minor quibble on such a big night like this! :cool:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

My absolute favorite thing about the model is how it really seems to 'fit' Disneyland. Post Star Wars prequels and new films there are so many 'Flash Gordon' type opportunities that the imagineers might have chosen. Instead, we're getting a more subdued sci-fi that appears to grow naturally out of Frontierland and Critter Country(though thankfully secluded and obscured from both). This is such a satisfactory choice, drawing from the architecture of the series that looks like Star Wars, and yet seems to draw from more timeless influences.

I agree. I was originally hoping for a SW redo of TL but this is infinitely better.

TP2000

Original Poster

Agree with all of that! A satisfactory choice if there ever was one.

Here's another good video from the preview reveal tonight. Gives you a good perspective of how big this model is at the beginning.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom