1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

D23 Star Wars Info - A Galaxy of Stories: Photos, Video, Deep Thoughts

Discussion in 'Disneyland Resort' started by TP2000, Jul 13, 2017.

1. TP2000

TP2000 Well-Known Member

This year's Walt Disney Parks & Resorts Pavilion, Hosted by WDI is dedicated to Star Wars. With the theme "A Galaxy Of Stories", the big news is that it will feature a large and detailed model of Star Wars Land, in addition to other exhibits dedicated to the new land at both Disneyland and WDW. https://d23.com/galaxy-stories-disney-parks-resorts-coming-d23-expo/

D23 Expo this weekend should offer up a lot of details and answers to questions we have regarding Star Wars Land. This thread can serve as the repository for the inevitable tsunami of photos and videos of this year's WDI Pavilion. Plus a place for commentary and deep thoughts from our eclectic and wonderfully diverse community members here. :cool:

The media preview for traditional media and select bloggers begins at Six O'clock this evening, and the WDI Pavilion will be open for the entirety of D23 Expo this weekend. We should see the first photos and information released later on Thursday night. Let the fun begin!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  2. TP2000

TP2000 Well-Known Member Original Poster

I'm kicking myself now because I have an appointment this evening at a furniture store. I'm going to miss the big flood of photos and info coming out of the preview events this evening! But I'll check in later tonight to see what we learned.

I can't wait to see that big model! I hope it has "the people" in it, like Walt used to say.

A shame Johnny Hench is no longer with us to help on the Star Wars model. He knew all the pretty girls. :D

brb1006 and britain like this.
  3. thealmightyvance

thealmightyvance Well-Known Member

Was that Walt laughing like that at the end? That was funny how whoever that was laughed.

4. britain

britain Well-Known Member

That Disneyland Tencennial special is priceless. Walt gives away attraction plotlines, spoils effects. He isn't sure what they'll call any of these attractions yet, so he uses a few different ones from time to time. Imagine if they did that today!

Walt: "And here... is a very special attraction... it's called the, um, Battle for the First Order..."

Rolly mumbles, "Um, it's not 'for' "

Walt: "Battle Against the Dark Side! And you got into this mess by going up in a star destroyer, so how do you think you'll get out of it?"

Plaid-skirt: "...by going down in a star destroyer?"

Walt: "Of course! Anything's possible at Disneyland ...er, just outside of Disneyland proper, at the Star Wars Bayou Experience!"

5. TP2000

TP2000 Well-Known Member Original Poster

Walt was wonderful. And those World of Color episodes, where it's assumed there was a script or at least a rough outline, are hysterical to watch. Only Walt could get away with that. Bob Iger and Bob Chapek are so ridiculously scripted with approved words scrubbed clean by Legal, and then edited by Standards & Practices, that it's almost meaningless when they talk.

It will be interesting to see how Chapek handles his big Parks & Resorts Presentation on Saturday. I imagine he's rehearsing right now. With a lawyer in the room.

The WDI Pavilion, on the other hand, is noticeably more cheeky and fun. I still remember the 2009 Expo where a nice lady in an Imagineering shirt at the WDI Pavilion started chatting with me as I marveled at the Cars Land model. She ended up walking me around the model for a few minutes pointing out all the rides and shops "and things". I told her it was most impressive and thanked her for her time. Only later did I realize that nice lady was Kathy Mangum, Creative Vice President in charge of the Cars Land project. Doh!

prberk, croboy82, brb1006 and 3 others like this.
  6. thealmightyvance

I once met a guy named Bob Chapek, a very awkward guy, I'm not sure who he is but it seemed like he had a lot of $$$. :greedy::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove:

7. Curious Constance

Curious Constance Well-Known Member

This will also make a perfect repository for pictures of Bob Iger from D23.

RandomPrincess and TP2000 like this.
  8. thealmightyvance

Curious Constance and brb1006 like this.
  9. ctrlaltdel

ctrlaltdel Well-Known Member

Honestly this is what I'm most excited for at D23

10. mickEblu

mickEblu Well-Known Member

I'm most excited for the unknown. Does the Marvel dark ride get announced? Does the FL expansion/ Frozen get announced? Doubt it on the latter.

11. brb1006

brb1006 Well-Known Member

What time does the Parks And Resorts Presentation start on Saturday?

12. Curious Constance

What, Bob?

ctrlaltdel and thealmightyvance like this.
  13. Curious Constance

14. thealmightyvance

Curious Constance likes this.
  15. Kira Nerys

Kira Nerys Well-Known Member

This sort of thing is all I ever care about when it comes to D23 (which, by the way, is a stupid name). I'm just not one of those Disney people that would go to a Disney convention with a bunch of other weirdos.

16. thealmightyvance

Are you saying Mr. Bobby Chapek and Bob Iger (you're welcome @Curious Constance) are weirdos for going!?!?

:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

17. Kira Nerys

Kira Nerys Well-Known Member

Hardly. I assume they take the stage like Steve Jobs revealing the new iPhone as the audience worships them. Who wouldn't want that?

thealmightyvance likes this.
  18. JoFu

JoFu Premium Member

It's been 5 minutes, where are photos?

19. thealmightyvance

They are just now being let in, stay put.

20. thealmightyvance

TP2000 and CHOX like this.