D23 Star Wars Info - A Galaxy of Stories: Photos, Video, Deep Thoughts

TP2000

Original Poster
New artwork
DEqf5n1UIAIU_0b.jpg

Hey, @Dr. Hans Reinhardt, here's that sushi place we wanted! Everyone else can go have Krab rolls at Splitsville and we can have lunch here.

Ismael Flores

I'm not really getting what's so visually appealing about this. It seems kind of... bland? I'm not sure what the right word is for it, but it doesn't scream "this looks cool" to me, on an external level. It might be because they couldn't decide on/didn't want a specific world to do so they just kind of made up a random one with no significant or unique characteristics. That shouldn't detract from the attractions though.

I think that when looking at this model you have to consider the scale of the whole thing. Look at how impressive the structures, rockwork, full size vehicles all look against the to placeholders for the guests walking around those paths.
Notice all the entrances to several Indoor buildings and at some point it almost seems like there are a couple elevated walkways.
Guests are literally going to be surrounded by a land that merges sci fi elements perfectly with natural habitat.

nevol

It is a masterpiece and I'm not combing it over for things to complain about. Lets be real; this is the best Disney theme park land/attraction/experience stateside in my lifetime, born in 89, in all of ours. It combines the bazaars of new orleans square with the exoticism of adventureland and the explorability of tom sawyer island and then wham, in the show buildings, outer space/tomorrowland, but the sudden shift from outdoors to FIRE BLACKLIGHT CINEMA back-to-nature will be more reminiscent of indiana jones I think. comfortable environments hiding spectacular dark rides. It is the definition of disneyland. I'm in love.

And if they use a ton of geolocation-enabled software for interactivity and gamification, plus soft-robot audio animatronics that will be able to track guest's eyes and talk directly to them, it is nearing westworld proportions; Disney would finally be doing something that rivals the curve that disney had in the 50s and 60s. When I bring friends to disneyland, they think madam leota and pirates' AA's are the best things in the park and are sad that everything else is blacklights and projections. The world has caught up, and big. Not in theme parks, just in everyday life. And now that 'everyday life' kind of smart tech and hardware is finally coming back to entertainment. This is Disneyland.

Last edited:

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
It's an impressive model to say the least. It's going to be really interesting to see how the real thing measures up.

britain

I remember when Indy opened in '95, an imagineer said: "This is the biggest thing we've done at Disneyland. I know that EVERY time we add ANYTHING we act like it's the biggest thing, but this time it really is."

I think it's time to pull out the official "biggest thing" label again. And, yes, we won't see another thing this big/detailed/ambitious in our lifetimes.

No Name

Honestly even better than expected. I'm blown away. The Pandora model was pretty accurate to the final product, correct?

Yes.

Except the funny thing is, instead of a background like SWL's has, there was just a giant blue planet behind the model. So a bunch of people were seriously wondering and discussing whether this would really be a part of the land, and how they would construct such a massive backdrop.

image.jpeg

Nice! Glad to see they are 4 discrete seats instead of a bench.

A 4x4 seating arrangement should in theory prop up capacity a bit or at least allow fewer vehicle dispatches to match Mystic Manor (bench seating - in theory 3x3 but often will definitely do as few as 1x2) with 4 vehicle launches at a time. Ratatouille only launches 3 vehicles at a time with a similar 3x3 in theory, but hardly in practice... but overcomes the vehicle reduction by having two separate load platforms to tighten launch times.

4x2, you mean? While the others are 3x2? Anyway whatever, I get the point.

I too like the individual seats. I imagine each seat will have its own restraints because this is more thrilling than those other trackless rides.

ctrlaltdel

I'm guessing (hoping?) that that gap in the rock-work between the two attraction buildings won't be able to be seen anywhere from the land. It's obviously prominent in the model, but I'm guessing that's just because we're taking a far more overhead look than we'll ever see IRL.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm guessing (hoping?) that that gap in the rock-work between the two attraction buildings won't be able to be seen anywhere from the land. It's obviously prominent in the model, but I'm guessing that's just because we're taking a far more overhead look than we'll ever see IRL.

Those gaps are for the modelers to work on the far side of the model. Back stage access points will be appropriately camouflaged.

D

Deleted member 107043

I remember drooling over the Discovery Bay and Circusland model in the old Preview Center on Main Street. It was the coolest thing ever and I couldn't wait for it to be built. Now I'm glad that it didn't, because this thing makes Discovery Bay look like caca in comparison.

britain

That's the alley between BE and MF. You won't notice the gap in rock work from ground level with the village buildings in the way.

Plus... I suspect that alley might be where the Star Wars resort guests are "Hogsmeded" in...?

https://i0.wp.com/media2.slashfilm.com/slashfilm/wp/wp-content/images/IMG_39401.jpg

Last edited:

SSG

A poster on MiceChat made an interesting observation. In the parks blog article discussing the new SWL model, the land is described:

"Both Star Wars-inspired lands will transport guests to a never-before-seen planet, a remote trading port and one of the last stops before Wild Space, where Star Wars characters and their stories come to life."

A poster called deadwinterskies said: "Anyone else notice that the first letters of "Wild Space" are capitalized as if it's a title?"

Could "Wild Space: A Star Wars Experience" be the title of the new land?

Exomonia

A poster on MiceChat made an interesting observation. In the parks blog article discussing the new SWL model, the land is described:

"Both Star Wars-inspired lands will transport guests to a never-before-seen planet, a remote trading port and one of the last stops before Wild Space, where Star Wars characters and their stories come to life."

A poster called deadwinterskies said: "Anyone else notice that the first letters of "Wild Space" are capitalized as if it's a title?"

Could "Wild Space: A Star Wars Experience" be the title of the new land?

Interesting find, although I think it is unlikely — in the context, the planet is BEFORE Wild Space (that we are visiting).

To relate to a hypothetical, imagine a Finding Nemo land being built set in the Great Barrier Reef. Marketing says it "will transport guests to an unseen reef from the franchise, right on the outer boundaries next to the Drop Off." It wouldn't make much sense to then call that land "The Drop Off: A Finding Nemo Experience" when it is all set in the reef.

I could be wrong, that's just how I see it :) great and interesting find regardless! Perhaps it would play a part in the Millenium Falcon attraction's name?

Stevek

The more I look at it, the more I'm amazed by what I'm seeing. I can easily see me spending the better part of a day(s) just walking around and soaking up every detail possible...given that I'm such a big SW nerd. As beautiful as Radiator Springs is, it appears that this will set a whole new standard for immersive themeing.

ctrlaltdel

That's the alley between BE and MF. You won't notice the gap in rock work from ground level with the village buildings in the way.

Plus... I suspect that alley might be where the Star Wars resort guests are "Hogsmeded" in...?

https://i0.wp.com/media2.slashfilm.com/slashfilm/wp/wp-content/images/IMG_39401.jpg
Possibly, I was thinking Battle Escape exit. Though that would be very far from the apparent entrance (which looks like it may be very close to the Critter Country entrance).

SSG

Interesting find, although I think it is unlikely — in the context, the planet is BEFORE Wild Space (that we are visiting).

To relate to a hypothetical, imagine a Finding Nemo land being built set in the Great Barrier Reef. Marketing says it "will transport guests to an unseen reef from the franchise, right on the outer boundaries next to the Drop Off." It wouldn't make much sense to then call that land "The Drop Off: A Finding Nemo Experience" when it is all set in the reef.

I could be wrong, that's just how I see it :) great and interesting find regardless! Perhaps it would play a part in the Millenium Falcon attraction's name?
Could be. If they are making Wild Space a proper noun--i.e. an actual place--you would think it will play a part somehow.

Phroobar

I think they have their time periods a little messed up here. They show a Resistance X-wing but the Falcon has the original trilogy radar dish. I think I also saw a First Order ship but also an Imperial Shuttle. Also A-Wing would be too old to exist during the First Order since it is a late Clone Wars ship. I'm sure we will see astromechs that don't make sense in the earlier or later period. Just Star Wars nerd nikpicks.

SSG

I think they have their time periods a little messed up here. They show a Resistance X-wing but the Falcon has the original trilogy radar dish. I think I also saw a First Order ship but also an Imperial Shuttle. Also A-Wing would be too old to exist during the First Order since it is a late Clone Wars ship. I'm sure we will see astromechs that don't make sense in the earlier or later period. Just Star Wars nerd nikpicks.
Some of that (by no means all) could be explained by this planet being far from the Inner Rim planets so newer tech is expensive and in short supply. Both the First Order and the Resistance make do with some older tech.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom