Costume change applies to MNSSHP?

FigmentPigments

I sincerely hope this is not the case. I'm sure there are reasons to why this is happening, but I have not heard or seen an incident where a costume was a hazard, a safety concern, or was too much like the actual character. The previous rules seemed to be working. Has anyone heard or seen any differently?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

MyMartianRomance

The one time having a baby face and being short would probably work in my favor. I mean there's plenty of twelve year olds who tower over me and a few are more hairier than guys of my own age.

BuddyThomas

just make everybody wear pajamas
Like this?
;)
pan.JPG

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Yeah, that's why I've been looking for clarification. They're very vague with their wording. Here's the email my wife received last week:

Dear Amy,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about recent policy changes at the Walt Disney World Resort.

Nothing is more important to us than the safety of our Guests and Cast members. Keeping this priority in mind, we have a comprehensive approach to security designed to keep our properties safe. The change to our costume policy for Guests ages 14 and older further strengthens our existing practices. The new costume policy update allows our security personnel to more effectively visually screen Guests at the Theme Parks.

We understand that many of our Guests appreciate becoming part of our stories, and apologize for any disappointment the costume policy change may have on your experience at our properties. Remember that while full costumes are not permitted, you are welcome to dress in the spirit of your favorite characters within policy. Please visit https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/park-rules/ for more information on our park rules and regulations.

We remain committed to providing you with a safe and memorable visit and look forward to hosting you at one of our properties very soon.

Sincerely,

Justin Harkin

Guest Experience Services

Walt Disney World Resort

It took them at least 4 days to respond to her. I'm sure they were handling a ton of emails about the subject, so it was expected. I sent my own email to him saying that we were wanting a specific answer. Here's the email I sent:

Ok, so my wife, Amy Mcmillen, sent you guys an email regarding people 14 and older wearing costumes at the Halloween party nights. She received a typical canned response that didn't answer the question at hand. Now, here is the response she got:

Dear Amy,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about recent policy changes at the Walt Disney World Resort.

Nothing is more important to us than the safety of our Guests and Cast members. Keeping this priority in mind, we have a comprehensive approach to security designed to keep our properties safe. The change to our costume policy for Guests ages 14 and older further strengthens our existing practices. The new costume policy update allows our security personnel to more effectively visually screen Guests at the Theme Parks.

We understand that many of our Guests appreciate becoming part of our stories, and apologize for any disappointment the costume policy change may have on your experience at our properties. Remember that while full costumes are not permitted, you are welcome to dress in the spirit of your favorite characters within policy. Please visit https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/park-rules/ for more information on our park rules and regulations.

We remain committed to providing you with a safe and memorable visit and look forward to hosting you at one of our properties very soon.

Sincerely,

Justin Harkin
Guest Experience Services
Walt Disney World Resort

We understand the policy as it relates to regular park days. We aren't asking for clarification on that. We are asking about the HALLOWEEN party nights. It's either 1)No, guests over 14 may not dress in costume at the party, 2)Yes, guests over 14 MAY dress in costume at the party, or 3)Disney leadership is undecided as of right now.

Now, I'm not trying to come off as a jerk, but I have to plan my vacation time right now. I mean that my vacation time LITERALLY has to be planned by the end of the year, as in before the new year even starts, And once everyone has their time set it's hard to get it moved around. I say that because with the way you guys have made it mandatory to plan every detail of our family trips, I need advanced notice. That's because if my two teens, currently 15 and 14, can't dress up then we won't be returning for our bounceback in September. I'm not spending $250+ x 3 parties just so they can trick or treat in their regular clothes. We won't be returning, so that's about $5600, we won't be renewing our APs, that's another $800+. This is getting out of hand.

Thank you for your time!

Sincerely

David Booker

Oddly enough, it was less than 12 hours later when he called and left me an email.

^^^ THIS ^^^, Disney expects the GUEST to plan things in detail up to a year out, However it's perfectly ok for them to change things with less than a Day's notice and the only response you get from Disney. 'Is Have A Magical Day', Recently it probably would be better if Disney did not use that line as it tends to make people more irritated not less. <click> would be better and more in line with their current business strategy.

KikoKea

I'm wondering what Disney considers a "costume" and what is dressing "in the spirit of your favorite character." I mean, if my husband wears his standard, made-at-home pirate outfit, it's a white shirt, and black vest with tattered jeans cut off below his knees. He adds a head bandanna, fake earring, fun bone necklaces and fake bling with some smudges on his face- is that too much to be in the spirit of Cap'n Jack?

I hope they come out with specifics soon. We surely don't pay extra $$ for the free candy, but for the fun of dressing up.

Dragonrider1227

I'm with you guys. If adults aren't allowed to wear costumes at the Halloween party, then I ain't going. Even if I'm not in a costume myself, I still enjoy seeing others in costumes and if I can't do that, I might as well just go to the Christmas party if I'm going to go to a special ticket event

Last edited:

mergatroid

It seems worded so that it can be put into layman's terms: "Your costume sucks. We'll allow it."

So I'm guessing that the costumes they don't want are ones that would be easier to conceal weapons in? For instance dressed in a one piece dog suit would be difficult for security to search and so is banned? Whereas a simple trouser, shirt, skirt, blouse or dress costume combo would be ok as it's the same as everyday clothing items that none costumed guests would wear anyway?

I can't see for instance why if my wife went as a nurse wearing a white nurses outfit with pantyhose and a nurses hat would this be any more of a security risk than a normal guest wearing a dress, pantyhose and hat. Also if I wore trousers and a shirt and a light weight 'doctors coat' with a stethoscope to look like a doctor, I can't see why this would cause security issues (unless of course I started prescribing drugs to other guests or performing endoscopes on them)..

It's all rather confusing and vague?

Edit: Also just thought, does this mean Dapper Day shall be no more?

celluloid

This is why it is fear mongering and a slippery slope. So if you have to go through Metal Detectors anyway(which were provided because we need to be safer than ever and won't stop something anyway) than what you could hide in your costume if you went through that checkpoint?

mergatroid

This is why it is fear mongering and a slippery slope. So if you have to go through Metal Detectors anyway(which were provided because we need to be safer than ever and won't stop something anyway) than what you could hide in your costume if you went through that checkpoint?

A home made wooden shank?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
So I'm guessing that the costumes they don't want are ones that would be easier to conceal weapons in? For instance dressed in a one piece dog suit would be difficult for security to search and so is banned? Whereas a simple trouser, shirt, skirt, blouse or dress costume combo would be ok as it's the same as everyday clothing items that none costumed guests would wear anyway?

I can't see for instance why if my wife went as a nurse wearing a white nurses outfit with pantyhose and a nurses hat would this be any more of a security risk than a normal guest wearing a dress, pantyhose and hat. Also if I wore trousers and a shirt and a light weight 'doctors coat' with a stethoscope to look like a doctor, I can't see why this would cause security issues (unless of course I started prescribing drugs to other guests or performing endoscopes on them)..

Yet up I-4 a ways one is ENCOURAGED to buy and wear full length Hogwarts Robes... But at the 'Home of Star Wars' a Jedi robe is verboten, Could it just be that Disney is run by humorless suits who want to suck the fun out of everything they cannot profit from.

twilight mitsuk

no, the ban mainly applies to character costumes

JoeCamel

You can get your wife to dress up as a nurse? My hat is off to you sir!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom