Costume change applies to MNSSHP?

MalMeansBad

Original Poster
With the news of the costume change, I had originally assumed that Disney was attempting to reiterate a rule already in place: No costumes for guests over 14 (on normal days). I figured that people had started pushing it with their Disney Bounds and the company wanted to issue a reminder. Now I'm not so sure. So, my question is, does anyone know if the no costumes over age 14 rule also applies to special ticketed events like Mickeys Not So Scary? I can't imagine that will go well for them if it does. That is a pretty big event, and I know that adults like the idea of dressing up and going to Disney.

draybook

I think this is a part of the other thread about the changes, but nobody has been able to give a solid answer. The truth is that Disney probably won't give a solid answer right now. I am supposed to call a guy from their Guest Services so I'll keep you all informed of what happens with that.

JohnD

As far as we know. But who knows? Maybe they'll have a change of heart as the first party approaches in September.

Imagineerwannabe

I had seen a Twitter response from Disney which didn't clearly state costumes were restricted at ticketed events, the response stated only "costumes are not permitted by over 14s at any time"

I had asked a friend of mine who works in guest relations at WDW and as far as they had been instructed, costumes would be permitted for ticketed events...but it certainly looks as though wording on the Disneyland page already states that over 14s are not allowed costumes or masks specifically at Halloween parties

Last edited:

Imagineerwannabe

Guess we will wait and see once the hype has calmed down a bit around these security changes, it looked to me that the signage added was just a reiteration of the existing rules.

I noticed most media sources published it as if this was some sort of major news as if costumes for adults were allowed before...

draybook

Yeah, that's why I've been looking for clarification. They're very vague with their wording. Here's the email my wife received last week:

Dear Amy,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about recent policy changes at the Walt Disney World Resort.

Nothing is more important to us than the safety of our Guests and Cast members. Keeping this priority in mind, we have a comprehensive approach to security designed to keep our properties safe. The change to our costume policy for Guests ages 14 and older further strengthens our existing practices. The new costume policy update allows our security personnel to more effectively visually screen Guests at the Theme Parks.

We understand that many of our Guests appreciate becoming part of our stories, and apologize for any disappointment the costume policy change may have on your experience at our properties. Remember that while full costumes are not permitted, you are welcome to dress in the spirit of your favorite characters within policy. Please visit https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/park-rules/ for more information on our park rules and regulations.

We remain committed to providing you with a safe and memorable visit and look forward to hosting you at one of our properties very soon.

Sincerely,

Justin Harkin

Guest Experience Services

Walt Disney World Resort

It took them at least 4 days to respond to her. I'm sure they were handling a ton of emails about the subject, so it was expected. I sent my own email to him saying that we were wanting a specific answer. Here's the email I sent:

Ok, so my wife, Amy Mcmillen, sent you guys an email regarding people 14 and older wearing costumes at the Halloween party nights. She received a typical canned response that didn't answer the question at hand. Now, here is the response she got:

Dear Amy,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about recent policy changes at the Walt Disney World Resort.

Nothing is more important to us than the safety of our Guests and Cast members. Keeping this priority in mind, we have a comprehensive approach to security designed to keep our properties safe. The change to our costume policy for Guests ages 14 and older further strengthens our existing practices. The new costume policy update allows our security personnel to more effectively visually screen Guests at the Theme Parks.

We understand that many of our Guests appreciate becoming part of our stories, and apologize for any disappointment the costume policy change may have on your experience at our properties. Remember that while full costumes are not permitted, you are welcome to dress in the spirit of your favorite characters within policy. Please visit https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/park-rules/ for more information on our park rules and regulations.

We remain committed to providing you with a safe and memorable visit and look forward to hosting you at one of our properties very soon.

Sincerely,

Justin Harkin
Guest Experience Services
Walt Disney World Resort

We understand the policy as it relates to regular park days. We aren't asking for clarification on that. We are asking about the HALLOWEEN party nights. It's either 1)No, guests over 14 may not dress in costume at the party, 2)Yes, guests over 14 MAY dress in costume at the party, or 3)Disney leadership is undecided as of right now.

Now, I'm not trying to come off as a jerk, but I have to plan my vacation time right now. I mean that my vacation time LITERALLY has to be planned by the end of the year, as in before the new year even starts, And once everyone has their time set it's hard to get it moved around. I say that because with the way you guys have made it mandatory to plan every detail of our family trips, I need advanced notice. That's because if my two teens, currently 15 and 14, can't dress up then we won't be returning for our bounceback in September. I'm not spending $250+ x 3 parties just so they can trick or treat in their regular clothes. We won't be returning, so that's about $5600, we won't be renewing our APs, that's another $800+. This is getting out of hand.

Thank you for your time!

Sincerely

David Booker

Oddly enough, it was less than 12 hours later when he called and left me an email.

danv3

I will guess (no inside information) that adults will be allowed to wear costumes to the Halloween parties. JMO.

PhotoDave219

With the news of the costume change, I had originally assumed that Disney was attempting to reiterate a rule already in place: No costumes for guests over 14 (on normal days). I figured that people had started pushing it with their Disney Bounds and the company wanted to issue a reminder. Now I'm not so sure. So, my question is, does anyone know if the no costumes over age 14 rule also applies to special ticketed events like Mickeys Not So Scary? I can't imagine that will go well for them if it does. That is a pretty big event, and I know that adults like the idea of dressing up and going to Disney.

Disney is forcing guests to go sans costumes. This applies to all clothing as they are considered costumes.

Guests in the buff. Safety first.

FigmentForver96

I have no reason to go to the parties if I can not dress up. That's part of the fun! I have been wanting to do the Christmas party so maybe this is the chance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom