Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ELG13

That's just not how the majority of Americans operate...thinking of others first. I wish it was...we have 2 sons in 2 different schools, and every year they manage to bring home every bug that makes the rounds because some jack-**** decided to send their kid to school while they were sick.
I know....and it's disappointing. Every story that comes out where people knew they were possibly or positively infected, but still choose to go out makes me wish I bought that island a few years ago....😁
We have kids in two separate schools and it's hard enough keeping them both well. But keeping them from cross contaminating each other and possibly each other's schools is stressful. One had strep this week and lice is rampant at the other school. Now this. My husband and I are talking about keeping them home soon because we don't have much faith in our local government. We had a case in my hospital that was described as a transport from another facility so it was assumed it was done under quarantine. Just found out it wasn't. He drove himself, walked into the ER with exact symptoms after being abroad for a while. We know it's here, we just don't know when the next positive will be diagnosed and I don't want to leave that up to chance at this point .

ImperfectPixie

I know....and it's disappointing. Every story that comes out where people knew they were possibly or positively infected, but still choose to go out makes me wish I bought that island a few years ago....😁
We have kids in two separate schools and it's hard enough keeping them both well. But keeping them from cross contaminating each other and possibly each other's schools is stressful. One had strep this week and lice is rampant at the other school. Now this. My husband and I are talking about keeping them home soon because we don't have much faith in our local government. We had a case in my hospital that was described as a transport from another facility so it was assumed it was done under quarantine. Just found out it wasn't. He drove himself, walked into the ER with exact symptoms after being abroad for a while. We know it's here, we just don't know when the next positive will be diagnosed and I don't want to leave that up to chance at this point .
This is going to sound bonkers, but I have a sneaking suspicion that this bug has been around a lot longer than everyone thinks...all 4 of us were down with illness 3 times between the 2nd week of December and the end of January with respiratory infections of one kind or another. No serious symptoms, but enough to take a day off here or a day off there. We've NEVER had that much illness in our house in a single year, let alone all bunched together like that.

ELG13

I'm related to a NURSE who doesn't believe in vaccinations and who chose to raise her three boys in a house with lead in it even after her oldest tested with high lead levels.

ETA: There's something going on developmentally/intellectually with her two younger sons, too...but it's never spoken about. I'm not aware of them getting any services through their schools, but I really hope they do.
I just can't with the vaccine debate. I have a son with autism and whenever someone mentions vaccines causing autism I think "I would take my amazing autistic son over a dead or permanently disabled son any day" and I've had a child pass away so I can make the comparison to the extreme.....so any of their injury rebuttals fall on deaf ears. I hope she gets help for them too. They didn't do anything to earn those delays. I find myself to be pretty holistic in most ways but I absolutely believe in the power of medicine.

LukeS7

I haven't found any other news source that says this. If it is true, it would mean this virus is less serious than a cold if so few people had serious enough symptoms to even get tested out of 115,000 people.

I don't believe it is quite that mild so I suspect an out of context or misunderstood quote.
I don’t believe that they’re suggesting it’s that mild. Rather, they’re talking about the lack of testing availability.

LSLS

Disney's obvious and intentional silence and inaction on this is indicating to me, personally, that they are no longer deserving of a leadership role in industry or to be recognized as cultural leaders. Every second that they are passed by other institutions doing the right thing comes at tremendous cost to their legacy.

Has universal issued anything?

ImperfectPixie

I just can't with the vaccine debate. I have a son with autism and whenever someone mentions vaccines causing autism I think "I would take my amazing autistic son over a dead or permanently disabled son any day" and I've had a child pass away so I can make the comparison to the extreme.....so any of their injury rebuttals fall on deaf ears. I hope she gets help for them too. They didn't do anything to earn those delays. I find myself to be pretty holistic in most ways but I absolutely believe in the power of medicine.
I'm right there with you. There's a reason vaccines exist and its because herd immunity works. (My 2 sons are autistic too. #teamquirky all the way)

Jwink

I mean wouldn't common sense be enough? I think people focus so much on "if I get it I'm ok" or "it's only bad for older or immunocompromised people". Do they not realize EVERYONE can spread it? A kid, a teacher, a janitor can bring it to school and all those kids bring it home. That's how spreading works. That's why they want to limit gatherings over a certain number. This should absolutely inude schools. If you've ever worked with kids or at a school you know those places are breeding grounds. Imagine trying to get 26, 6 yr old to wash their hands after every sneeze! It's not always about "oh I'll be fine" sometimes it is about "how will my neighbor be? How will my parents be? How will the homeless guy I just gave food to be?".
Yeah but then what happens to the parents who have to stay home with their kids and they can’t work?

Weather_Lady

Hubby just called from the Walmart near us. No TP, no Dunkins coffee, only odd-flavored baked beans, no raspberry preserves, slim selection of tuna, no deviled ham...

Yep, we went to our local Walmart last night -- coincidentally, the same evening it was announced that there were 2 confirmed coronavirus cases in the county next door - the county where I work. (Up until now, the closest cases have been downstate, 300 miles away.) There were no disinfectant cleaning sprays of any kind or brand, very little left in the way of cleaning supplies in general, no store-brand bottled water, no TP in packs larger than 4 rolls, no disinfecting wipes on the shelves (although we found some hidden by an end-cap in the pet supplies section -- possibly a hoard someone hid and intended to return for later), no powdered milk, and no gallon-sized bleach (only smaller sizes). We ended up having to go to 3 different local grocery stores to complete our modest shopping list.

I was actually kind of surprised. We live in farm country in an economically-depressed area, so most people already buy everything in bulk (to save money) and have their big farmhouse pantries, cellars and garage freezers well-stocked year-round. I guess nobody's immune to a little panic-buying.

Jwink

This is going to sound bonkers, but I have a sneaking suspicion that this bug has been around a lot longer than everyone thinks...all 4 of us were down with illness 3 times between the 2nd week of December and the end of January with respiratory infections of one kind or another. No serious symptoms, but enough to take a day off here or a day off there. We've NEVER had that much illness in our house in a single year, let alone all bunched together like that.
I totally agree with that. My husband came home two weeks ago? He had a fever of 100.1 and a mild cough. My kids got a stuffy nose is and I felt run down for a day or two. Was it coronavirus? I don’t know because America is isn’t testing the young and healthy for it LOL

ImperfectPixie

Yep, we went to our local Walmart last night -- coincidentally, the same evening it was announced that there were 2 confirmed coronavirus cases in the county next door - the county where I work. (Up until now, the closest cases have been downstate, 300 miles away.) There were no disinfectant cleaning sprays of any kind or brand, very little left in the way of cleaning supplies in general, no store-brand bottled water, no TP in packs larger than 4 rolls, no disinfecting wipes on the shelves (although we found some hidden by an end-cap in the pet supplies section -- possibly a hoard someone hid and intended to return for later), no powdered milk, and no gallon-sized bleach (only smaller sizes). We ended up having to go to 3 different local grocery stores to complete our modest shopping list.

I was actually kind of surprised. We live in farm country in an economically-depressed area, so most people already buy everything in bulk (to save money) and have their big farmhouse pantries, cellars and garage freezers well-stocked year-round. I guess nobody's immune to a little panic-buying.
We live just near Cape Cod...sort of in the no-man's-land between suburbia and farm country...the panic-shopping and hoarding get ridiculous around here.

DisneyCane

I don’t believe that they’re suggesting it’s that mild. Rather, they’re talking about the lack of testing availability.
I'd have to find the transcript. I suspect the reporter took something out of context like the lady saying, "for all we know 1% could be infected" in order to make a point about testing.

South Korea has done mass testing and a population larger than Ohio and they've only found 7,869 cases which an order of magnitude lower than 115,000 would be in Ohio.

awoogala

CA governor asks all gatherings over 250 people be cancelled. Not mandatory but could become if necessary. Obviously DL would be included in that.

peter11435

Has universal issued anything?

They issued a statement similar to Disney’s just shorter and with less content.

Just a reminder that Disney has not been silent on the matter they just have not said/done what some want them to.

dclfan

I live in Tampa and I’m here in WDW for the night. Scored a room for $130 at Coronado Springs and decided to come. t’s business as usual here at the parks. In fact it seems busier then ever. Everyone is happy and enjoying themselves (as they should). Closings and Panic cancellings are only going to hurt the economy in the long run. The virus has been here folks for quite some time just because we’re testing now doesn’t mean it hasn’t been here for months. I was watching an interview with someone who tested positive near the Bay Area and they aren’t even hospitalized. They are self quarantined at home and he says it’s like having a bad cold but of course that story doesn’t hit mainstream media because it doesn’t lend itself to clicks. We will all be fine however most of us “myself included” will now be broke and poor because of these closings out of fear that will severely damage our economy

jt04

I totally agree with that. My husband came home two weeks ago? He had a fever of 100.1 and a mild cough. My kids got a stuffy nose is and I felt run down for a day or two. Was it coronavirus? I don’t know because America is isn’t testing the young and healthy for it LOL

Test kits are limited and not always accurate anyway. The young and the healthy seem to be able to respond like th common flu. Better to use the kits as necessary to detect hotspots than use them up on everyone with a seasonal allergy symptom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom