Confirmed Closing Date for Maelstrom?

FettFan

Also Winnie the Pooh takes place in the UK so it wouldn't be located in Canada, btw.

It could go either way, since the bear was actually born in Canada. "Winnie" is short for Winnipeg, after all.

Also, Disney sold these babies back in 1997 at the Canada pavilion.
pooh1.jpg

MarkTwain

I think Disney is aware that the further out they make an announcement the more time there is for them to lose control of the narrative.

I think this is 100% the case, and I find the fact that Disney intends on going through with this, despite being well-aware that the announcement will be met with disapproval, is quite sad.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the ride closed with an explanation, before any any announcement is even made.

Mr Anderson

I am going to take a minute and call shenanigans. Why is everyone moaning a groaning one second about them not doing anything to Epcot. But then when they do, people moan and groan to leave it alone. If you want it left alone, then nothing new will ever come and it will be the same. Then you will moan and groan that they arent doing anything to improve Epcot.

It's an attraction. While yes, it is sort of original, it is old and dated. It doesn't represent Norway 25 years later. Let them Disney-fy what they want. At least they are spending money on the place. The countries now-a-days do not want to sponsor anything and that is why there are no new countries. If Disney has to be the one to do something, then Disney gets to make the call.

I would rather see them improve, even if it is tacky, then let it sit and rot like they did to places like River Country or Spectromagic. At least it is something new to look at.

edit: **end rant** ha
And what makes you think a Frozen attraction will represent Norway? Spoiler alert: It won't. It's going to stick out like a sore thumb in World Showcase. If they were to simply re-do the Maelstrom attraction, and make it a better, more exciting ride and stick to the same core theme and original idea, I am positive people would not be so negative about the change. TDO is spending money in very odd places, and people are raising eyebrows (hello, FP+ & Magic Bands). In this case, it's the simple fact that Maelstrom is being replaced by a ride from a relatively cheesy Disney film (yeah, I said it) that does not authentically represent the country. In an area of WDW that is intended to showcase the culture of the rest of the world, they're going to try to cram more of the movies and pop culture that's found everywhere else in the parks down our throats.

And it's not as if nobody rides Maelstrom... it is frequently found with a 25-40 minute wait time. So old and dated, yeah okay; but the same could be said about rides throughout the entirety of Walt Disney World... yet, Maelstrom continues to be popular (often more popular than Spaceship Earth and some other attractions in EPCOT, mind you). So sitting and rotting, it is not. Oh, and to your point that you'd rather see them improve, even if it's tacky... @lazyboy97o I couldn't have put it better myself...
It's like applauding kid who doesn't do his math homework for just writing in some numbers.

To close, I'll say this... I will not smile and thank Disney/TDO/Iger/whoever-made-this-lousy-call for the rhinestone-encrusted turd they're giving us in exchange for the gem they're taking away.

**end retort**
Have a nice day (and I do mean that).
P.S. Every time someone says shenanigans, I think of this:
nOu0sng.gif

Mr Anderson

Ahem.
1. World Showcase is not supposed to be overly Disney-fied. It's supposed to expose American families to other cultures.

2. Frozen takes place in a fantasy realm called "Arendelle". It has nothing to do with actual Norway. Would you be equally defensive if Disney decided to shove a Winnie the Pooh ride into the O Canada building? Or how about "Fineas and Ferb's American Adventure"?

3. Maelstrom is a short ride followed by a short film. The entire experience takes less than 15 minutes from boarding the boat to exiting the theater. There is absolutely no way that they could condense Frozen down that much and still make it a meaningful experience, especially with as fast as the boats move. They would need at least twice the area and an Omnimover system to do the film any kind of justice.

There is a right way and a wrong way to update the Norway pavilion.

It doesn't take a thousand year old Crusade knight to know when Disney is choosing poorly!
slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif

aladdin2007

And what makes you think a Frozen attraction will represent Norway? Spoiler alert: It won't. It's going to stick out like a sore thumb in World Showcase. If they were to simply re-do the Maelstrom attraction, and make it a better, more exciting ride and stick to the same core theme and original idea, I am positive people would not be so negative about the change. TDO is spending money in very odd places, and people are raising eyebrows (hello, FP+ & Magic Bands). In this case, it's the simple fact that Maelstrom is being replaced by a ride from a relatively cheesy Disney film (yeah, I said it) that does not authentically represent the country. In an area of WDW that is intended to showcase the culture of the rest of the world, they're going to try to cram more of the movies and pop culture that's found everywhere else in the parks down our throats.

And it's not as if nobody rides Maelstrom... it is frequently found with a 25-40 minute wait time. So old and dated, yeah okay; but the same could be said about rides throughout the entirety of Walt Disney World... yet, Maelstrom continues to be popular (often more popular than Spaceship Earth and some other attractions in EPCOT, mind you). So sitting and rotting, it is not. Oh, and to your point that you'd rather see them improve, even if it's tacky... @lazyboy97o I couldn't have put it better myself...

To close, I'll say this... I will not smile and thank Disney/TDO/Iger/whoever-made-this-lousy-call for the rhinestone-encrusted turd they're giving us in exchange for the gem they're taking away.

**end retort**
Have a nice day (and I do mean that).
P.S. Every time someone says shenanigans, I think of this:
nOu0sng.gif

We dont know that yet for sure.

aladdin2007

Yes, we do. Even if it is the lousy "tour of Norway" idea, the tour of Norway will not be the focus. There is no need for unrelated characters if the purpose is some sort of presentation of Norway.

I would rather have the lousy tour of Norway idea than just a preschool frozen retelling or wheres olaf with no mention or theme of Norway at all, which of course it could very well go that that way too. Hopefully not.

While I dont have insider info on the frozen plans, I can tell you that Disney is well aware of the issue of retaining a Norwegian theme. I was told they plan to, question is to what extent will they.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
EPCOT & World Showcase has become so distant from Walt's original vision....

But to replace a ride - however old, tired and in need of an update - that reflects the culture of its country with a M&G or whatever is planned from a cheesy movie that has no connection to that country just because it grossed a billion dollars is criminal.

afar28

But to replace a ride - however old, tired and in need of an update - that reflects the culture of its country with a M&G or whatever is planned from a cheesy movie that has no connection to that country just because it grossed a billion dollars is criminal.
100% agree with the second part. But Walt's original Epcot vision was a functioning city so the park never was that close to his vision anyway

stevehousse

100% agree with the second part. But Walt's original Epcot vision was a functioning city so the park never was that close to his vision anyway

Was just gonna say that. Also the world showcase was suppose to be its own type of park seperate from Epcot/future world. I know there is a video about the making of Epcot where the imagineers basically said they had both models of the seperate parks in te same room and said hey, let's pin these together and that's how the parks new concepts came to be. Epcots original version by Walt was a working city where people would work and live...no rides or anything but an actual city...

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Was just gonna say that. Also the world showcase was suppose to be its own type of park seperate from Epcot/future world. I know there is a video about the making of Epcot where the imagineers basically said they had both models of the seperate parks in te same room and said hey, let's pin these together and that's how the parks new concepts came to be. Epcots original version by Walt was a working city where people would work and live...no rides or anything but an actual city...
The idea for World Showcase came from ideas for EPCOT's urban core "where stores and whole streets recreate the character and adventure of places ‘round the world." The EPCOT Center really did pull from big ideas behind EPCOT.

DisneyRoy

What this all comes down to is one fact....Epcot is a THEME PARK. It is there for entertainment purposes and to make Disney some money. Will "repurposing" this attraction draw more crowds? YES. Is this movie making Disney a butt load of money? YES. So is it going anywhere soon? NO.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed Maelstrom. But it's not the greatest most iconic ride that some are making it out to be. It's got freaky trolls and some giant weird oil rig that you go down a hill backward for. No cohesive story and just plain strange. I am not weeping for this to be changed.

As far as the "culture" argument goes? The ride adds nothing to the culture that is Norway in my opinion. You get more of that from the shop and the food.

Characters in World Showcase? Who cares....as I said above, it's a Theme Park! Disney will put characters where people will want to see them. And all of the characters in the World Showcase always have long lines for M&G. So again....nothing new here.

I for one welcome any changes Disney decides to make. They have sat on their laurels for far too long and changes are needed in all the parks....whether they "fit" or not.

FettFan

DisneyRoy

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/688/680/599/help-save-maelstrom-at-epcot/

So....theoretically you'd also be cool with them bulldozing Dumbo to build a meet and greet for the Budget Princesses? It could be like "Esmeralda's Gypsy Celebration" or some such.

If it adds to their bottom line and increases the stock price, then good for them. That's what they're all about. They are a business after all. Now...my daughter would be devastated and I would have to deal with that fallout and would not relish it from that point of view.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom