Clear indication attendance projections are down

21stamps

All personal opinion - I'm not right, no one else is wrong....

This ENTIRE "population number" concept has confused me. How is WDW doing on NET INCOME? Just WDW, JUST the Parks.

Again - just us.... if there were HALF the crowd and INCOME was consistent? Pretty sure WDW would be happy - and WE would be dancing down Main Street :). Yes, we GET that it would cost more.....

Again, All personal opinion - I'm not right, no one else is wrong....
I'm hoping they bring back Disney After Hours, during a time of year that I can attend!!!! I think it would be a wonderful "limited time event" once per year!

wdw47

image.png
That wouldn't make sense at this point. Why would they do that on resorts that have been booked since spring? I can't extend a night, I'm sure other people would like to stay during that time as well, and some (like me) may not go at all if they can't get the resort they want.

Did you get a pin code with that? Or it's just showing you current offers? I got a lot of those after my trip last year, sadly no pin code though :(

No pin code. Just this:

NearTheEars

That wouldn't make sense at this point. Why would they do that on resorts that have been booked since spring? I can't extend a night, I'm sure other people would like to stay during that time as well, and some (like me) may not go at all if they can't get the resort they want.

Did you get a pin code with that? Or it's just showing you current offers? I got a lot of those after my trip last year, sadly no pin code though :(

The only explanation I've read here is that they do it to boost the occupancy number to help impress investors.
Like I said, no idea if any of that is true, but it's been talked about a lot here.

Goofyernmost

All personal opinion - I'm not right, no one else is wrong....

Again, All personal opinion - I'm not right, no one else is wrong....
I'm sorry, but, doesn't that mean that you are wrong and everyone else is right? If you say you are not right then you must be wrong. If no one else is wrong then everyone else must be right! Way to many double negatives in that statement for my comfort.

Hate to veer off and I usually don't, but, that phrase just hits the nails on a blackboard effect to me.

21stamps

The only explanation I've read here is that they do it to boost the occupancy number to help impress investors.
Like I said, no idea if any of that is true, but it's been talked about a lot here.
I find that hard to believe, not that you read it, but the people saying it are probably off base..I think revenue would impress investors more than an inflated faux occupancy percentage.

Captain Neo

Yeah, all CMs (as far as I know) were given two comps. So CMs, check your stuff.

Clearly an attempt to bump the bottom line.

At Disneyland every CM receives two comp tickets around this time of year anyway. Was that not the case at WDW? They also receive them in the winter as well (4 total per year)/

wogwog

Original Poster
At Disneyland every CM receives two comp tickets around this time of year anyway. Was that not the case at WDW? They also receive them in the winter as well (4 total per year)/
This ticket issue is a bonus 2 tickets good only until Sept 30. The usual 4 a year are still in place and WDW friends tell me those are valid for a year and a half or so.

raven

I’ve heard that the numbers of off property guests has dropped off quite a bit this summer. The on property guest has been fairly even, a dip but a small-ish percentage. I’ve gotten the same reports from Universal people that their overall numbers are down as well. I’m inclined to believe them because the twice I’ve been over to Uni it’s been quieter than I’ve seen it in the summer since Harry Potter became a thing there.

What surprised me (but in retrospect it shouldn’t have) was what both groups said they think one of the major causes was: the Rio Olympics. There has been a fraction of the usual South American tourist and tour groups this year. And after someone pointed that out I realized I’d only seen maybe 4-5 tour groups all Summer thus far when I normally encounter 2-3 a day at MK.
August seems to be the British Invasion month. Most of the ones that I've talked to this year (who are staying off property) are just thrown by all the price hikes in the past year yet the product is the same or, in DHS case, less. They are hitting up other Orlando and Central Florida offerings after only spending a day or so at Disney and Universal compared to several days in the past.

21stamps

I think Disney's plan to drive prices higher to weed out people has worked and not worked at the same time. The higher paying crowd is still staying at the WDW hotels and with higher prices Disney has succeeded to up their profit on them. Where it didn't work is day trippers and lower income people. I don't think they have been coming this year, there are still a huge amount of people who stay off property and only come to the parks for a day or two because that's what they can afford. I think that crowd has been driven away. Where real trouble might happen is DVC people using their points but not going to the parks or at least not buying the same amount of tickets.

You can't have it both ways, either price high or go for head count. Disney will now try to do the impossible and balance the two out which in the end makes both crowds mad. The biggest thing is over crowded parks or parks that have limited things for people to do.

Universal got lucky and built into a an over all Orlando tourist boom along with offering new good attractions, hotels and is working on City Walk. At this point it doesn't matter if the market drops a little because what they built has been paid for already and with a water park and two attractions coming over the next year or two there is something new to see or do. This year was Kong, brand new ride. Just about every year into the boom they have had something new to offer. Even if a recession hits the US they can start building into the next boom, tourist industry is cyclical. They can slow down their plans or delay but they are in the best position to go forward.

Disney on the other hand didn't do much of anything going into the tourist boom except make more money. Now they are looking at going into a dropping attendance period and they finally thought we need to build more stuff. They should have been building and remodeling as attendance was spiking up. I just see budget cuts coming to the new projects and delays in any other plans. MK is the one, it's flag ship park that really needs more capacity and some new thinking. Hard to do that going into a down turn in attendance which I fully believe is happening and I also see the economy going into recession soon. Should have spent the magic band money on attractions and everything would be fine right now. I still don't see what their point was with the magic bands or a better question is why did they cost so much>
How does everyone leave out Star Wars? Launch Bay is the number #1 reason that we are going to Disney this winter.

21stamps

Star Wars is the same as it has been for years. Looked it up and that's actually open? I figure everything SW would take at least 5 years to build. Not a SW fan and I don't think the Launch Bay will be that great but that's up to you.
It's not the same though. There were no Stormtroopers marching last year, no Jawas to trade with, no Kylo Ren, Chewbacca, or Star Wars night time show.
You said you're not a fan, I get that, I wasn't either until about a year ago... But most little boys are. So for them, and even a lot of girls, it's pretty exciting.

Soarin' Over Pgh

How does everyone leave out Star Wars? Launch Bay is the number #1 reason that we are going to Disney this winter.

...really? To each their own and I totally get it as a not life long fan of SW myself, but I hope your expectations are in check. :) I'm sure the marching stormtroopers will be cool :cool::cool:

Gringrinngghost

Passed on to me by a friend asking if I want one of his extra tickets he was not expecting. He has worked for WDW over thirty years so I am sure it is happening. I Thanked him and passed. Even free is too much with the present condition of the parks for me.

WDW has just announced to cast that they will be awarded to "Summer Surprise" eTickets good from 8/24 through 9/30. They are inviting cast to bring in more friends and family for this time period than usual. The cast merchandise discount has been increased as well.

The only reason I can think of is expected attendance being down a lot.

Yeah, all CMs (as far as I know) were given two comps. So CMs, check your stuff.

Clearly an attempt to bump the bottom line.

I was given both comps by a buddy of mine and I went to MK on Thursday, and the crowds were really dead. The only time I saw massive amounts of guests other than in Queues we're for parades and Wishes.

Here is a screenshot of video I shot on Thursday (8/25) at 1:16pm.
GTR1ONQ.jpg

I'm normally use to not that much walking room, but this was like man,,, too much space.

PhotoDave219

I was given both comps by a buddy of mine and I went to MK on Thursday, and the crowds were really dead. The only time I saw massive amounts of guests other than in Queues we're for parades and Wishes.

Here is a screenshot of video I shot on Thursday (8/25) at 1:16pm.
GTR1ONQ.jpg

I'm normally use to not that much walking room, but this was like man,,, too much space.

Thats glorious. I see you didnt miss the scooter races.

Gringrinngghost

Thats glorious. I see you didnt miss the scooter races.
Of course not, those are the best parts, next to the cheerleaders of screaming children! I did however in the matter of 9 hours shoot 4 hours of 4K (Which in the shameless plug will soon be coming too https://www.youtube.com/user/AllCentralFlorida)

I think the longest line for a ride I saw was 70mn for Peter Pan and that was par for the course.

PhotoDave219

Of course not, those are the best parts, next to the cheerleaders of screaming children! I did however in the matter of 9 hours shoot 4 hours of 4K (Which in the shameless plug will soon be coming too https://www.youtube.com/user/AllCentralFlorida)

I think the longest line for a ride I saw was 70mn for Peter Pan and that was par for the course.

Dude, there was an hour wait for Pan on the morning of Hurricane Charley. Everything could be a walk-on and that queue would still be full.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom