Clear indication attendance projections are down

wogwog

Original Poster
Passed on to me by a friend asking if I want one of his extra tickets he was not expecting. He has worked for WDW over thirty years so I am sure it is happening. I Thanked him and passed. Even free is too much with the present condition of the parks for me.

WDW has just announced to cast that they will be awarded to "Summer Surprise" eTickets good from 8/24 through 9/30. They are inviting cast to bring in more friends and family for this time period than usual. The cast merchandise discount has been increased as well.

The only reason I can think of is expected attendance being down a lot.

Tom Morrow

With the CM job cuts, WDW has the same number of comp tickets to offer, just to a smaller amount of CMs. Additionally, since there are fewer CMs, they're able to provide a better discount without it affecting their bottom line.
Not enough were cut to make a difference like what you're suggesting.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
With the CM job cuts, WDW has the same number of comp tickets to offer, just to a smaller amount of CMs. Additionally, since there are fewer CMs, they're able to provide a better discount without it affecting their bottom line.
I can't imagine discounts hurt their bottom line. Even at whatever-percent-off, sales of merch and food to cast members is still profitable. Sure it "hurts" the bottom line compared to someone paying full price, but the cast member is buying things he or she wouldn't have bought otherwise.

rob0519

Passed on to me by a friend asking if I want one of his extra tickets he was not expecting. He has worked for WDW over thirty years so I am sure it is happening. I Thanked him and passed. Even free is too much with the present condition of the parks for me.

WDW has just announced to cast that they will be awarded to "Summer Surprise" eTickets good from 8/24 through 9/30. They are inviting cast to bring in more friends and family for this time period than usual. The cast merchandise discount has been increased as well.

Everyone has their price, but even in the present condition, free is too good a deal for me to pass up if I lived within a 2 hour drive of WDW.

Siren

I totally expect a decline in attendance from international tourists due to the Brazilian economy. Then there is the whole Brexit thing. Disney always uses Free Dining to offset declines in attendance, so if Free Dining or Play, Stay and Dine returns during regular or peak times -- it's a clear indication to me that attendance is way down.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I totally expect a decline in attendance from international tourists due to the Brazilian economy. Then there is the whole Brexit thing. Disney always uses Free Dining to offset declines in attendance, so if Free Dining or Play, Stay and Dine returns during regular or peak times -- it's a clear indication to me that attendance is way down.
Incorrect. The promotions you're talking about are much more important to fill beds than to fill the parks. Room occupancy has been extremely strong despite the attendance decline, meaning they don't have enough available beds to make promotions like that work. Targeted attendance efforts would probably have to come from cast members, pass holders, and Florida residents.

hopemax

Anyone with specifics on the discount part? My Dad is eligible for retiree survivor benefits, but doesn't have access to the Hub or any of the usual ways this stuff is communicated. But we assume he is eligible for merchandise discount, because he normally gets a "B" discount.

bunnyman

Was in the parks 2 weeks ago and most noticeable was the greatly diminished amount of European accents being heard. Speaking with CM's, it has been noticed by them as well. With the dollar generally stronger vs. the pound and Euro of late, it makes US vacations for them more expensive.

Last edited:

Kamikaze

If they gave every CM 2 additional comps, they would have needed to cut approx 100,000 CMs to make your statement possible.

peter11435

Cast members saw substantial cuts in hours. But the overall number of cast members was not significantly reduced. Certainly not to be point you're implying.

dizda

It also flies in the face of the theory that Disney is class war faring their operations by targeting fewer people that have more money to spend and the attendance is where they want it to be.
Disney may not mind lower attendance, but it hates lower spending. If average spending is flat, then attendance has to increase to put more wallets in the parks.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Disney may not mind lower attendance, but it hates lower spending. If average spending is flat, then attendance has to increase to put more wallets in the parks.
That's exactly backwards. Increasing attendance has a negative effect on spending-per-guest. Cast members spend money when they visit, but less than "normal" guests, which brings the average down.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom