Character autographs at dining to be cut

RunningKoen

What do you think the target audience prefers?

Well, it would be a nice idea if they run a small pilot with this idea to see what the target audience does prefer? I would suggest using 1, maybe 2, restaurants where the problem is the biggest: some place like CP where the rotation is troubled?

I can understand that handing out pre signed cards might take away the magical moment of signing the book.

However, this topic has become hilarious due to the fact that a small group of hardcore complainers (1 person in particular, he made quite a lot of post dragging the some argument over and over again.) are completely going mental over a 'trial' in very limited number of restaurants (1? 2?) and there are reports of characters still signing when asked.

Handing out pre signed cards to the people who do not care a big deal about the signature, while still signing for those who do appreciate this part of the magical interaction could be a good way to speed up the rotation. Something that benefits both customers and Disney.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Well, it would be a nice idea if they run a small pilot with this idea to see what the target audience does prefer? I would suggest using 1, maybe 2, restaurants where the problem is the biggest: some place like CP where the rotation is troubled?

I can understand that handing out pre signed cards might take away the magical moment of signing the book.

However, this topic has become hilarious due to the fact that a small group of hardcore complainers (1 person in particular, he made quite a lot of post dragging the some argument over and over again.) are completely going mental over a 'trial' in very limited number of restaurants (1? 2?) and there are reports of characters still signing when asked.

Handing out pre signed cards to the people who do not care a big deal about the signature, while still signing for those who do appreciate this part of the magical interaction could be a good way to speed up the rotation. Something that benefits both customers and Disney.

Disney could still have autograph books... but would need to accommodate whatever they were to do differently... if cards a place for cards to slide in... if stamps or stickers then the current ones would work just fine.

I could also see however if something like the cards were designed in a nice way this could be more of a collectible item many would want to get as many of as they can as well and then Disney could make $ of the books to collect them in

Biff215

But how would this speed things up? Those who don’t care about a signature now simply don’t ask for one. Then the cards seem unnecessary.

My kids are pretty much done with autographs, but I know they would prefer the real thing, even if it means waiting a little longer. I never saw signing as the problem in my experience, it was usually the large groups (sometimes past the target age) who would each want an individual picture and interaction with the character.

RunningKoen

But how would this speed things up? Those who don’t care about a signature now simply don’t ask for one. Then the cards seem unnecessary.

I'm not an expert in Disney's rolation system, but this is one way to slightly speed it up. It's the only reason to implement these cards in this way.

I could also see however if something like the cards were designed in a nice way this could be more of a collectible item many would want to get as many of as they can as well and then Disney could make $ of the books to collect them in

If Disney's main goal was to make more profits with these cards, they would do as @GhostHost1000 points out. There's a commercial potential in these signature cards.

But they are just releasing them in restaurants known for a slow rotation, so I assume their goal is to speed that up.

Last edited:

Chase24

Not having time to read the whole thread, and having done many character meals. It is not the autographs that make the table visits take the time, it is everyone wanting to get a picture with the character. This pose, that pose, together, whole family. If they limit it to visit and autograph only, that would speed it up. That said, I really cherish the pictures that I have taken over the years of my children at these meals, and for what I pay, I would want to be able to. This is the way I skip the additional waits in the park for these greets.

EricPZ

Most character meals we've been to, each character makes the rounds and visits us at least a second time. Not sure there's really a need. Then again, it's the interaction and photos my family get the most from those visits.

EricPZ

You must be a slow eater. ;)
When our kids were small, we did the autographs as a way to slow down the characters and get them to spend a little more time with us. So for those above suggesting this is a way to speed things along, there may be some truth to that. With older kids, they're better able to think of things to talk about with the characters and keep them engaged.
Bud we did find that they rotate through on a schedule, so if you eat slowly you will see them more than once, and if you eat fast, you may have to stall until all of them appear.
Ha!! Wouldn't say we are slow. But then there's my 13yo son....he ensures we get good value out of the buffet meals with his trips back for more. ;)

The other thing is that we usually schedule meals during off-peak times...usually a snack before we leave the resort, late breakfast/early lunch or late lunch/early dinner...then evening snack.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Personally, I'd like to see character meals elevated to the level of "Lunch with an Imagineer." Just think how much fun it would be to have a one-hour exclusive lunch with Cinderella or Alice of Wonderland fame...

Of course, that would incur a significant upcharge...

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
It’s been 10 months since the start of this thread. Has anyone experienced a character declining to sign an autograph at a character meal?

JSchnitz

For what you pay for these character dining experiences(at least $200 for a family of 4), the characters should have to sit down and eat WITH you! I don't understand why people worry about it taking too long and people wanting individual pictures? Seriously you pay big bucks for these moments, stop sucking the life out of them!

FullSailDan

This is only a problem because they are trying turn and burn tables too quickly in order to get more guests through the door. The characters have been signing autographs for what 4 decades? at the CP and it wasn't an issue?

Open some new restaurants in MK that are actually worth eating at and maybe it would take some of that pressure off.

ppete1975

how hard is it to sign as a character? I get the face characters would be easy but a big furry mitt, sounds kind of difficult maybe getting consistency is hard? I never worked for Disney s id love to hear from someone who was a character.

I know as a fan it appears dumb to get a preprinted card instead of a signature.. but that's as an adult comparing it to a celebrity. Do kids really care?

RobotWolf

Just for some context here, signing autographs are fairly difficult. A lot of characters don't really have the dexterity or visibility to do a passable job while making it look like their eyes are pointing at the autograph book. Could you sign your name in a book while holding said book above your head and looking at the ground? Of course, many of them do outstanding jobs. But it takes a lot of practice. Which they get in spades.

asianway

how hard is it to sign as a character? I get the face characters would be easy but a big furry mitt, sounds kind of difficult maybe getting consistency is hard? I never worked for Disney s id love to hear from someone who was a character.

I know as a fan it appears dumb to get a preprinted card instead of a signature.. but that's as an adult comparing it to a celebrity. Do kids really care?
Not very hard. The problem comes when they pull out a stack of 8 books, a vinylmation and a pillow case

Pixieish

Just for some context here, signing autographs are fairly difficult. A lot of characters don't really have the dexterity or visibility to do a passable job while making it look like their eyes are pointing at the autograph book. Could you sign your name in a book while holding said book above your head and looking at the ground? Of course, many of them do outstanding jobs. But it takes a lot of practice. Which they get in spades.
I always bring one of the big, fat sharpies...not a regular one...in the hopes that it makes things a little easier. And my boys know to have the caps off when they see the characters coming.

ppete1975

we were thinking the same thing :)

Not very hard. The problem comes when they pull out a stack of 8 books, a vinylmation and a pillow case

YES. I saw this happen last year with Gaston, who already is extremely busy as-is. However, the guy who plays him, as many of you know, is amazing at what he does. He was making jokes about them the whole time, then told the boy who had them, to the delight of everyone in line, to practice his weight lifting with them. He had him show proper form and told him that "to get strong like me, you have to lift those all the way over on the walk to Furball's Castle".

In terms of being easy to sign, don't the duck characters have to actually peer around their bills? I seem to recall reading that in Bob Sellingher's Unofficial Guide way back when. I'm sure it becomes muscle memory with signing autographs, but the last thing you need as a character is to sign someone's fingernail instead.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom