Character autographs at dining to be cut

asianway

My wife was trying to take the "glass half full" approach, as you are here. That could make sense, except...

They just took out The Great Movie Ride to replace it with a Mickey and Minnie ride... Where they're going with a Ren and Stimpy style animation. Completely different than the classic design you see literally thousands of times a day around each park when you're there. Which ticks me off, because there's zero continuity. It doesn't make sense. And will likely cause questions from many kids. But the point is... If they're okay with how THIS is going to clash, I doubt they're worried about Pluto's slight differences in penmanship between locations.

new-modern-disney-mickey-mouse-shorts-3.jpg

The reality is this move would have to be money related. It is what it is.
Branding only enforces guidelines when it suits their whim. See the agonizingly slow rollout of the new heads.

brb1006

:confused: Have character autographs been a "thing" for that long? I kinda feel like they're a relatively recent phenomena like in the past 15 years or so. From my youth, I just recall people taking photos with the characters.
Character giving autographs has been a thing since the 80's but especially more common as the 90's came along.

Maerj

They could save even more money by eliminating characters and making them part of a new augmented reality experience! Just think, you could wear vr goggles and not have to deal with 'real' characters at all. They could also do personalized virtual autographs thanks to your Magic Band.

Last edited:

AEfx

This kind of says it all those autograph books tend to be treasured mementos remembered and kept long after the trip

LOL, what's awesome is that it became my main autograph book, and even back then they were already becoming rarer in the "real world". I also have newscasters I met growing up, a couple of presidents, a few famous authors (Ray Bradbury stands out)...hell, Richard Simmons is in there, haha. I have a picture of him flipping through it oooohing and ahhhhing over all the Disney characters.

I usually was the only kid that would tote an autograph book around when we went on field trips or had speakers (and took some crap from other kids because it was a Disney one) but as soon as I held it up I always was whisked up and got it signed (leaving the other kids who laughed at me for bringing it remarkably jealous).

And it all started with a Mouse. ;)

AEfx

They could save even more money by eliminating characters and making them part of a new augmented reality experience! Just think, you could wear vr googles and not have to deal with 'real' characters at all. They could also do personalized virtual autographs thanks to your Magic Band.

You would be insane to not think that kind of BS has been seriously batted around some mid-level executive meeting...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
LOL, what's awesome is that it became my main autograph book, and even back then they were already becoming rarer in the "real world". I also have newscasters I met growing up, a couple of presidents, a few famous authors (Ray Bradbury stands out)...hell, Richard Simmons is in there, haha. I have a picture of him flipping through it oooohing and ahhhhing over all the Disney characters.

I usually was the only kid that would tote an autograph book around when we went on field trips or had speakers (and took some crap from other kids because it was a Disney one) but as soon as I held it up I always was whisked up and got it signed (leaving the other kids who laughed at me for bringing it remarkably jealous).

And it all started with a Mouse. ;)

I have Chuck Yeager's autograph from a technical convention where he was a keynote speaker. Gen Yeager had a very salty speech but. Damn we hung onto every word. He chased that demon down and kicked it in the butt ushering in a new age of aviation.

Gotta boost throughout at character dining says the cost accountant who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Its a big deal for a kid to have Mickey etc PERSONALLY sign their autograph book.

Just when you think Disney has run out ways to cheapen the WDW experience they come up with stuff like this.

So disgusted at what Disney has become under Iger.
This didn't stard with Iger. I think it started with Eisner. Especially the fondness for nickel and dime everything.

OliveMcFly

I hope they're not thinking this will save time. It takes seconds to sign a signature. Most of the hold up is because there are some attendants out there that don't assist as much as they should. Each table should be a 45 second interaction.
Just my two cents and feelings from experience.

rob0519

I hope they're not thinking this will save time. It takes seconds to sign a signature. Most of the hold up is because there are some attendants out there that don't assist as much as they should. Each table should be a 45 second interaction.

For $30-$50 per person for average food at a character meal, I would think 1to 2 minutes would be appropriate for autographs and a few quick photos. If you have a family of 5 with 3 kids forty five seconds seems a bit rushed. Just my opinion from years of character meals.

asianway

THIS. The number of attendants who stand around and do nothing is astounding.

OliveMcFly

For $30-$50 per person for average food at a character meal, I would think 1to 2 minutes would be appropriate for autographs and a few quick photos. If you have a family of 5 with 3 kids forty five seconds seems a bit rushed. Just my opinion from years of character meals.
Exactly. Sometimes you don't have a choice and you can't get away. Hopefully the time can be made up at a table with just adults that move quickly.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
You would be insane to not think that kind of BS has been seriously batted around some mid-level executive meeting...

I could easily see "virtual autographs" coming to the MDE app in the not-too-distant future. It could even "MAGICALLY!!!" appear in your app after you meet a character. And it could have all kinds of MAGIC!!! added to it, like some MAGIC sounds and sparkly MAGIC effects.

I'd like to kick any and all mid-level executives who consider garbage ideas like that right in their MAGICAL areas...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom