Character autographs at dining to be cut

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Ask yourself.... why is this a problem now? Characters have been signing for decades. Is it disneys stuffing of the rotation?

My guess is as per usual it's all about money if they can get parties out of the dining venues 10-15 minutes sooner they can

1 - add 2-3 additional seatings during a day
2 - maintain guest count while reducing operating hours

MAGIC what's that, these are tourists whadda they know.

matt9112

Personally, my family and I are more into taking a picture with characters at dining. I totally understand some people want autographs (we've gotten them too) but it does take up a lot of time and there are so many tables. Maybe they could have the handler ready with an ink pad and a stamper for the character to quickly stamp their autograph (plus it would help with having the same look of the signature).

or they could drop character dinning from the DDP.....boom wait times fixed....oh wait Disney might loose money.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I have mixed feelings on this... on one hand, on our recent trip there were multiple character breakfasts (Crystal Palace, Tusker House, and Akershus) where we were just sitting at the table (long after having finished eating) waiting to see the rest of the characters. In any restaurant, (from a business perspective) the last thing you want is people just sitting around. You want to keep table turnover rates as high as possible. On the other hand, on our recent trip, we had one character breakfast (Chef Mickey's) where the characters were almost coming too fast (the first character came to us literally the moment we got back from our first trip to the buffet and all the remaining characters came one after the other after that with no break in between). As a guest, you want those unique and memorable interactions, but you also don't want to sit around, having long finished eating, just waiting for the last character(s) to come by. It's a tough balancing act...

NelsonRD

I wonder if this is driven by the cast members themselves. I (and my 7 year old) have noticed gross differences in the signatures of the same characters between locations. With no inside information, I question the motivation, as possibly not a cost/time savings, but possibly a consistency issue, as training to sign the books the same between cast members is difficult, especially in character. The differences are usually easy to dismiss, and I would not resort to the extreme of per-signed cards, but I would be in favor of more uniform signatures.

Disorbust

I still can not wrap my head around this. Why would I ever spend an ungodly amout of money for scrambled eggs and NOT get the picture of my child getting her autograph with her favorite character but instead being handed a business card. With the fur characters it is really the only why they can interact with a guest on a consistant basis. I get it they need to make money but there is something for brand integrity, and getting a business card from pooh does not promote that. Will it stop first times probably not but why would anyone repeat the experience. I have lived through many years of Disney and their profit margins but this is a reflection of their culture changing away from the guest experience to profit above all else.

DisneyDaver

I wonder though how much of the negative response is just a reaction to the switch of something that has been at WDW for decades rather than a real loss of value to guest on the whole. If for 40+ years, WDW was having the characters give out free pre-signed cards ... and then WDW decided to eliminate the cards and just have the characters sign each person's own autograph book ... would people complain that (a) now they had to buy their own autograph books, (b) WDW was being cheap in not giving out the cards, (c) the signatures between different Mickey's no longer matched, and (d) breakfast was now taking so much longer due to all the autograph signing.

Speaking as to my own personal experience, when I was a kid I would have preferred to get a pre-signed card from each character than an autograph in my own book. I still have my Chip and Dale autographs from a buffet breakfast at the Buffeteria at the Contemporary, but at the time they were of no interest to me and those were my first and last WDW autographs. My thing was always getting photos of myself with as many characters as possible each visit. As an avid WDW fan and baseball card collector, however, I would have loved getting these pre-signed cards from each character.

That said, I get that for others these autographs mean a lot and are a big part of the experience.

Last edited:

asianway

I wonder though how much of the negative response is just a reaction to the switch of something that has been at WDW for decades rather than a real loss of value to guest on the whole. If for 40+ years, WDW was having the characters give out free pre-signed cards ... and then WDW decided to eliminate the cards and just have the characters sign each person's own autograph book ... would people complain that (a) now they had to buy their own autograph books, (b) WDW was being cheap in not giving out the cards, (c) the signatures between different Mickey's no longer matched, and (d) breakfast was now taking so much longer due to all the autograph signing.

Speaking as to my own personal experience, when I was a kid I would have preferred to get a pre-signed card from each character than an autograph in my own book. I still have my Chip and Dale autographs from a buffet breakfast at the Buffeteria at the Contemporary, but at the time they were of no interest to me and those were my first and last WDW autographs. My thing was always getting photos of myself with as many characters as possible each visit. As an avid WDW fan and baseball card collector, however, I would have loved getting these re-signed cards from each character.

That said, I get that for others these autographs mean a lot and are a big part of the experience.
then why do you still have the autograph?

DisneyDaver

then why do you still have the autograph?

Fair question. As I kid I threw them in a box in my bedroom closet with some old toys. I found them when I moved out 20 years ago and left them along with most of my old toys at my parents house. I was never good about throwing things out.

DisneyDaver

the number crunchers must love it

All the number crunchers should care about is whether the change nets WDW more money. That makes for a good number cruncher. If this change turns so many people off that the character dining experience are less profitable, then this change was a mistake. If people keep going and it allows WDW to turn tables over quicker and make more money, then the marketplace is saying it was a good decision to make the change.

flynnibus

Premium Member
All the number crunchers should care about is whether the change nets WDW more money. That makes for a good number cruncher. If this change turns so many people off that the character dining experience are less profitable, then this change was a mistake. If people keep going and it allows WDW to turn tables over quicker and make more money, then the marketplace is saying it was a good decision to make the change.
I rest my case

Unplugged

This isn't on any office dwellers, squarely an ops team kerfuffle

Most likely. But the office dwellers are in the business of protecting the brand as the brand is the business. This type of implementation is absolutely a front line brand representation issue.
Worst case: kill autographs @ dining > lessens the experience & value > reduces the sales > raise dining prices / eliminate / reduce entertainment
Best case: replace autographs with cards @ dining > reduces char time and increases photo ops > increases guest satisfaction & table throughput > add more character dining

One, in general, autographs are out and "selifes" are in, as much as I may detest that.
Second, I have a feeling keeping them consistent isn't as easy as it once once (well, as easy as it ever was, I guess) - given how so few young people (the ones mostly cast as characters friends these days) can barely sign their own names*, learning the classic way of doing each character is probably a challenge, particularly fully costumed characters.

*it's well documented that the "art" of handwriting is going the way of the dodo because 99% of everything is typed in some fashion or another.

I see your points. At most schools in our area and it appears across the nation, the teaching of cursive writing is being dropped like a bad habit. I disagree with the change in education, but that's another thread. As far as characters learning to sign the names, my thought is if you want to *BE* Mickey, you need to learn to be Mickey. IMHO, there should be more to being the characters than simply fitting in the costume. It is a very prestigious role if you think about the value those characters represent.

While selfies are in, having costumed characters wandering about tables in an attempt to capture the perfect selfie is more of a time problem then an autograph. I've seen this be an issue countless times with characters attempting to move about and people trying to jump in for a selfie. I believe they simply need to realize that the interaction, both autographs and photo shoots, is part of the attraction and nature of the event. The reason people pay is to be close to the characters and feel that brief 1 on 1, even if only for a few moments.

Why would I ever spend an ungodly amout of money for scrambled eggs and NOT get the picture of my child getting her autograph with her favorite character but instead being handed a business card.
I have lived through many years of Disney and their profit margins but this is a reflection of their culture changing away from the guest experience to profit above all else.

Completely agree! The whole purpose of a character dining experience is to feel that brief 1 on 1 with the character in a more intimate dining experience. I say intimate, because when those characters walk up to your kids at your table, everything else goes away in the kids mind. Mickey was at MY table, Pooh cam over to ME. Since they don't talk, a quick photo pose and an autograph is all you have to make that momentary connection. Sure waiting in lines for M&G is very similiar, but it simply does not create that intimate moment that you are paying for.

This change to me, would be the same as having the Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party hand out coupons for candy you can pick up at the gate on the way out. You're still getting the Halloween candy that you paid for, but you've cheapened the party & trick-or-treating experience to the point of "why bother?".

fractal

Seems like a poor business decision to me.

When you have people eating out of your hand, willing to buy or make autograph books for their kids to bring to and have signed, you have the customer right where you want them. Companies would pay $tens of millions (if not more) to able to create client behavior like that. The meal itself is secondary to the character interaction which includes signing the book (I know from when my kids were in that stage). Dumb move to potentially damage that to try and turn around a few more tables a day. Long term they'll lose money on it.

Buried20KLeague

I wonder if this is driven by the cast members themselves. I (and my 7 year old) have noticed gross differences in the signatures of the same characters between locations. With no inside information, I question the motivation, as possibly not a cost/time savings, but possibly a consistency issue, as training to sign the books the same between cast members is difficult, especially in character. The differences are usually easy to dismiss, and I would not resort to the extreme of per-signed cards, but I would be in favor of more uniform signatures.

My wife was trying to take the "glass half full" approach, as you are here. That could make sense, except...

They just took out The Great Movie Ride to replace it with a Mickey and Minnie ride... Where they're going with a Ren and Stimpy style animation. Completely different than the classic design you see literally thousands of times a day around each park when you're there. Which ticks me off, because there's zero continuity. It doesn't make sense. And will likely cause questions from many kids. But the point is... If they're okay with how THIS is going to clash, I doubt they're worried about Pluto's slight differences in penmanship between locations.

new-modern-disney-mickey-mouse-shorts-3.jpg

The reality is this move would have to be money related. It is what it is.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Seems like a poor business decision to me.

When you have people eating out of your hand, willing to buy or make autograph books for their kids to bring to and have signed, you have the customer right where you want them. Companies would pay $tens of millions (if not more) to able to create client behavior like that. The meal itself is secondary to the character interaction which includes signing the book (I know from when my kids were in that stage). Dumb move to potentially damage that to try and turn around a few more tables a day. Long term they'll lose money on it.

Disney cares only about the next quarter, Long term they simply dont care any longer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom