Chances of TRON attraction now that movie is out?

Animaniac93-98

...underwhelmed in video sales.

Alice has made $74.5 million in US DVD sales ranking #10 (in quantity sold, but revenue higher than #9 and #8) for the year of 2010. Blu-ray and digital copy sales are not included in that number. I'm wondering what measure or figure did you use to come to the conclusion that it "underwhelmed"?

lebeau

While the two biggest factors in convincing everyone here Legacy has been a hit (permanent theme park addition and/or 3rd movie) have not been greenlit the animated TV series based on TRON has:

http://www.moviehole.net/201034979-details-on-the-tron-tv-series

That happened before the movie was released.

I think the cartoon is the best chance the franchise has at continued life. But I'd be surprised if it was successful enough to spawn a theme park attraction.

Animaniac93-98

But I'd be surprised if it was successful enough to spawn a theme park attraction.

I don't think a TV series ever has for Disney, beyond the short lived-Disney Afternoon avenue at Disneyland (and Gadget's Go-Coaster) and the show in Starland.

I was aware the TV show was in development, but I wasn't sure if it was greenlit or not. At least the TRON franchise (and it is that now seeing as it has multiple movies, video games and now a TV show to its name) isn't over just yet, as you suggested.

lebeau

Alice has made $74.5 million in US DVD sales ranking #10 (in quantity sold, but revenue higher than #9 and #8) for the year of 2010. Blu-ray and digital copy sales are not included in that number. I'm wondering what measure or figure did you use to come to the conclusion that it "underwhelmed"?

Compare that with it's performance at the box office where it dominated. From what I have read, Disney was expecting it to dominate the market which it did not.

lebeau

I don't think a TV series ever has for Disney, beyond the short lived-Disney Afternoon avenue at Disneyland (and Gadget's Go-Coaster) and the show in Starland.

I was aware the TV show was in development, but I wasn't sure if it was greenlit or not. At least the TRON franchise (and it is that now seeing as it has multiple movies, video games and now a TV show to its name) isn't over just yet, as you suggested.

I didn't mean to suggest it was dead. It has been alive since the 80s. There has been a trickle of video games, comic books, etc since the original film. I think that will continue.

I also think the cartoon will see some success. Interest in Tron will be higher than its been in years. But I expect the Tron fanchise will be somewhere around the level of popularity of Ben 10 or some other boys-oriented action cartoon as opposed to Pirates (which is the model Disney was hoping to follow).

Tron fans will continue to get their fix. But I don't see this breaking out to the mainstream in a way that will merit theme park representation. Most people will have moved on by the time the crop of summer blockbusters hits.

Next Big Thing

Yesterday's Box Office for TRON had it back in the #2 spot with $6.3M and that $6.3M pushed it to an even $100M Domestically and $165M Worldwide. With no new movies coming out this week, it looks like TRON should be able to take advantage of that and possibly even recapture the #1 spot. There really isn't anything coming out until January 7th, so TRON should be able to take advantage of this time to at the very least stay hold well and hopefully do well on the weekends.

mattfusf

Didn't part of the PeopleMover in Disneyland go through a Tron scene for a while? I seem to recall a speed-tunnel Lightcycle sort of scene, but its been a long while.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Didn't part of the PeopleMover in Disneyland go through a Tron scene for a while? I seem to recall a speed-tunnel Lightcycle sort of scene, but its been a long while.

Yes it did, similar scenes were also in the World of Motion at EPCOT Center, however it wasn't mentioned as being TRON scenes

RobGraves

third movie was actually mostly greenlit during production...

or did you think Cillian Murphy had that cameo as the son of Dillenger for no reason

yeti

Could this be what you're looking for?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxWrZ0lHXp4
(The Tron segment starts around 4:38)

While I love the idea of a Tron Motocoaster, where would it go? Last I heard it was proposed to take over Innoventions in DL, the equivalent of which is Carousel of Progress here in Florida...doesn't seem like much room, does it?

JimboJones123

Uh oh!

Tron gains on Tuesday while Fockers and True Grit make $1 mil less!

Could Tron pull an upset and WIN this weekend?

It beat out True Grit on Tuesday!

We saw Narnia, and the theaters were packed! With the only crazy weather looking to be in the Rockies, Tron may even gain over last weekend!

lebeau

third movie was actually mostly greenlit during production...

or did you think Cillian Murphy had that cameo as the son of Dillenger for no reason

There's no such thing as "mostly greenlit". That's like being mostly pregnant. Tron 3 is not greenlit. They made Tron 2 with Tron 3 in mind. But they made "Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins" with an entire series in mind. And we all know how that went.

(Well, those of us who are old enough to remember that the adventure ended as soon as it began know.)

Like someone else said earlier, every day that passes without an official announcement, the chances of Tron 3 happening get a little slimmer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom