Chances of TRON attraction now that movie is out?

captainkidd

True Grit has a 94% score on Rotten Tomatoes, versus Tron Legacy's 48%. I think a comment in line with those numbers doesn't really elicit a "wow" response.

Having seen both of those this weekend, I can say those scores are pretty much accurate. "True Grit" was, in my opinion, the best movie of the year.

Jrn14

well jack bombed out again, 7.2 million weekend on a production budget of $100 million. Fox is not having that great of a december.

Yeah I just checked my local listings and Guliver is only playing in 3d in one theater in the whole metro area... The other 3D screens are dominated by TRON, Narnia and Yogi.... Gulliver's Travels had bomb written all over it.

flavious27

Yeah I just checked my local listings and Guliver is only playing in 3d in one theater in the whole metro area... The other 3D screens are dominated by TRON, Narnia and Yogi.... Gulliver's Travels had bomb written all over it.

like i said, fox is not having a good December. they will come close to a break even only after home media sales for narnia. as for gulliver, this movie was a lost cause when they started moving the premiere date back and forth. unstoppable and love and other drugs will make a little bit but only with dvd sales.

Captain Chaos

The minute you see Jack Black is starring in it, just think BOMB right away... He is irrelevant and will continue to be so.. Anyone who thought Gulliver's Travel would actually over take Tron, True Grit, or Little Fockers was smoking the funny cigs.. LOL...

T-1MILLION

With the exception of films they know will make a lot of money and rare dvd boost popularity the general rule studios tend to go by is if a movie doubles its budget value in domestic box office than it is sure to get another film.

Tron has already dipped more than 54 percent. It will be lucky if it gets to 200 million domestically, therefore I would not count on another film to be rushed into production if ever.

Anyone name the last one film mediocre hit(and cult following box office bomb) that got a permanant attraction at the parks? You would have to go back to Alice or Fantasia most likely where they were pushed because Walt believed they were good films and now they are considered classics.

The movie theaters don't show the movies for free guys and 'Legacy' has more theaters playing it than many of the other films that are performing much better in comparison. Disney is not going to make nearly as much as they imagined and wanted to on this deal. It will rely on international and home sales to get it really in the green. With 3D visual pull movies, that does not happen. You can check on the Tim Burton Alice in Wonderland's lastluster dvd sales or even the amazing Avatar's home video sales in comparison for that evidence.

captainkidd

Tron has already dipped more than 54 percent. It will be lucky if it gets to 200 million domestically, therefore I would not count on another film to be rushed into production if ever.

I'll be surprised if it hits $150m domestically. I'm guessing more like $130m. It's playing out just like a Twilight movie as far as drops are concerned. Only difference is, it's making 1/3 of what the sequels made.

T-1MILLION

I'll be surprised if it hits $150m domestically. I'm guessing more like $130m. It's playing out just like a Twilight movie as far as drops are concerned. Only difference is, it's making 1/3 of what the sequels made.

I would typically agree but the reason I am being generous is there is nothing else with strong hype opening in the very near future and it is the busiest time outside of summer(and often stronger) for movies. It has a week or two to collect in the top five.

People who are considering this having potential at being a blockbuster are likely kidding themselves.

captainkidd

As are people who are denying it's success.

Honestly, this thread should be retitled "Tron: Legacy Box Office"

What do you consider success? I don't consider something that cost nearly $300 million to produce and market, that has made just 1/3 of that amount back a success.

This movie has made $87m in 10 days. There are 23 movies that made more that in their first 2 days. Heck, the last 2 Twilight films made that much in the first 24 hours, and had less than 1/4 of the budget. This movie is FAR from a success. When all is said and done, the film may crack the top 300 of all time. Considering that half of the screens are 3D or IMAX, that's nothing to write home about.

ionbyte

What do you consider success? I don't consider something that cost nearly $300 million to produce and market, that has made just 1/3 of that amount back a success.

This movie has made $87m in 10 days. There are 23 movies that made more that in their first 2 days. Heck, the last 2 Twilight films made that much in the first 24 hours, and had less than 1/4 of the budget. This movie is FAR from a success. When all is said and done, the film may crack the top 300 of all time. Considering that half of the screens are 3D or IMAX, that's nothing to write home about.

Again, explain "Tangled". Are you telling me it's a bomb as well.

Like you said the movie has only been out for 10 days so for you to count it out just yet is extremely premature. It's also inane to compare it to Twilight when the demographics for those franchises are completely different. There really is NO comparison between these films.

T-1MILLION

Again, explain "Tangled". Are you telling me it's a bomb as well.

Like you said the movie has only been out for 10 days so for you to count it out just yet is extremely premature. It's also inane to compare it to Twilight when the demographics for those franchises are completely different. There really is NO comparison between these films.

A hit and a bomb are the two extremes.

Tangled as of now is a possible mediocre affair. It cost 260 million to make according to sources (how I just don't see but that is what they claim and get it from the studios) and has made 143 plus million to date, and will likely wrap up under 200 million regardless. Overseas combined with the domestic will make it a moderate profiting affair since after home sales, music, and most importantly merchandise for princess loving girls and fans. Something Tron does not have in comparison. They have tried to merch Tron but it does not compete with Princess things.

Let's look at it this way, Tangled is nowhere near as attended as Enchanted yet and that was considered a money maker, but not a hit. Not to mention the Enchanted budget was much smaller thus enchancing the gross.

So what does that make Tron Legacy from the looks of it?

Also, the box office discussion is relevant because duds, and breaking even films don't get made into theme park attractions. Classic stories and hit franchises do.

Next Big Thing

As I said in my post on the previous page, TRON should at least get it's $170M budget back if it does well over seas. Well, the foreign numbers are in for this past week and since monday, it brought in $42M overseas to bring the worldwide total now up to $152.8M, which means it's already almost earned it's budget back after a week and a half. Hopefully these numbers continue and TRON will have some legs to at least stick around for awhile.

ionbyte

A hit and a bomb are the two extremes.

Tangled as of now is a possible mediocre affair. It cost 260 million to make according to sources (how I just don't see but that is what they claim and get it from the studios) and has made 143 plus million to date, and will likely wrap up under 200 million regardless. Overseas combined with the domestic will make it a moderate profiting affair since after home sales, music, and most importantly merchandise for princess loving girls and fans. Something Tron does not have in comparison. They have tried to merch Tron but it does not compete with Princess things.

Let's look at it this way, Tangled is nowhere near as attended as Enchanted yet and that was considered a money maker, but not a hit. Not to mention the Enchanted budget was much smaller thus enchancing the gross.

So what does that make Tron Legacy from the looks of it?

Also, the box office discussion is relevant because duds, and breaking even films don't get made into theme park attractions. Classic stories and hit franchises do.

By the looks of things, Tron is going to be a "moderate profiting affair" like Tangled so to say it isn't successful or to say it's a bomb is foolish. I consider a dud to be a film like Prince of Persia. If Tron were performing like Prince of Persia then I would agree with what you and Captain Kidd are saying in calling it a dud however it is not. It is on track to perform much better. Also, you shouldn't dismiss Tron's merchandise sales. Just look at the video games and soundtrack for the film. The soundtrack for the Tron in particular has been doing extremely well debuting in the top 10 of the Billboard 200. The film is even getting a cartoon spin-off in 2012. Disney obviously doesn't think it's a dud if it is going to continue pumping money into this franchise.

No one said that the b.o discussion wasn't relevant. No one is talking about the topic of the thread anymore. The conversation has moved to Tron's b.o. It just seems more fitting to change the title.

T-1MILLION

By the looks of things, Tron is going to be a "moderate profiting affair" like Tangled so to say it isn't successful or to say it's a bomb is foolish. If Tron were performing like Prince of Persia then I would agree with what you and Captain Kidd are saying however Tron has already had way more success than that film. Also, you shouldn't dismiss Tron's merchandise sales. Just look at the video games and soundtrack for the film. The soundtrack for the Tron in particular has been doing extremely well debuting in the top 10 of the Billboard 200. The film is even getting a cartoon spin-off in 2012. Disney obviously doesn't think it's a dud if it is going to continue pumping money into this franchise.

No one said that the b.o discussion wasn't relevant. No one is talking about the topic of the thread anymore. The conversation has moved to Tron's b.o. It just seems more fitting to change the title.

All that is fine and all, but now it sounds like you are just agreeing. I don't recall calling it a bomb. With a dud I was referring to other movies that have fallen flat and the original Tron. Which was indeed, a bomb. The only thing it ever got was some synergy in the parks.

Next Big Thing

Just to put it out there, this weekends box office with overseas and domestic for Tangled pushed the total worldwide gross past the $260M budget to $261M grossed. So at this point, especially with it being a princess franchise and basically guaranteed to sell merch, i'd say it's a pretty decent success. I think there is a difference between a success and a box office smash/blockbuster. I'd call Tangled a success.

And honestly, why does it always have to come down to BO? Tangled is a great film, i'm not even sure why we always need box office proof to point and say "That was a great film". What makes a film great is the quality of it, not how much money it makes.

ionbyte

All that is fine and all, but now it sounds like you are just agreeing. I don't recall calling it a bomb. With a dud I was referring to other movies that have fallen flat and the original Tron. Which was indeed, a bomb. The only thing it ever got was some synergy in the parks.

No. I still believe Tron is doing well and is going to be successful in the long run. I have never claimed Tron was going to be a super, Avatar-like blockbuster nor has anyone else on here. We have all just said that Tron Legacy will do well. I don't believe that a film has to make Avatar or Dark Knight cumes to be successful which is something Captainkidd seems to believe.

This movie is FAR from a success.

You didn't call it a bomb straight out however you seem to agree with what Captainkidd has said in saying that this film is not going to be a success.

T-1MILLION

No. I still believe Tron is and is going to be successful in the long run. I don't believe that a film has to make Avatar or Dark Knight cumes to be successful which is something Captainkidd seems to believe.

You didn't call it a bomb straight out however you seem to agree with what Captainkidd has said in saying that this film is not going to be a success.

I said moderate profits. So instead of reading and even using the term yourself you are going to presume what I am meaning?

The entire thing is in reference to the thread title. A movie that makes the company some money back and not blockbuster attended is not likely, especially this age, to become a theme park attraction. By the time the thing opened the property it is based on would of been forgotten by the general public and future generations.

captainkidd

I never used the words bomb or dud. However, to call a movie a success when it hasn't even made back it's production budget (to say nothing of it's marketing costs) is just wrong. This isn't one of those movies that's going to run strong as the weeks go on. People that wanted to see it have seen it. It will get some repeat viewings from fans, but not enough to make up it's budget.

lebeau

No. I still believe Tron is doing well and is going to be successful in the long run. I have never claimed Tron was going to be a super, Avatar-like blockbuster nor has anyone else on here. We have all just said that Tron Legacy will do well. I don't believe that a film has to make Avatar or Dark Knight cumes to be successful which is something Captainkidd seems to believe.

Actually, quite a few people pulled the Avatar comparisson on me before Tron opened.

I'm just sayin'...

Is Tron 2 a success? Depends on your criteria. From what I've read, Disney expected a new franchise and is currently disappointed in the returns. By that standard, Tron is not a success. At the end of the day, Disney will probably make some money off Tron. By that (very modest) standard, Tron is a success.

It's not a bomb. But Disney was looking for a blockbuster and it's not that either.

Getting back to the subject of the thread, based on the middling box office and the mostly negative reviews, a permanent theme park attraction seems unlikely.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom