Chances of TRON attraction now that movie is out?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Actually, quite a few people pulled the Avatar comparisson on me before Tron opened.

I'm just sayin'...

Is Tron 2 a success? Depends on your criteria. From what I've read, Disney expected a new franchise and is currently disappointed in the returns. By that standard, Tron is not a success. At the end of the day, Disney will probably make some money off Tron. By that (very modest) standard, Tron is a success.

It's not a bomb. But Disney was looking for a blockbuster and it's not that either.

Getting back to the subject of the thread, based on the middling box office and the mostly negative reviews, a permanent theme park attraction seems unlikely.

Exactly.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
From BoxofficeMojo

"In third place, Tron Legacy slipped 56 percent to $19.2 million, raising its score to $87.4 million in ten days and surpassing the final sum of The Day the Earth Stood Still (2008). Given the misfortune of the first Tron and the movie's niche appeal, Legacy has fared relatively well: to expect blockbuster numbers from this property would be absurd."

I just can not see a theme park ride coming from this.

UncleScrooge

I feel that good attractions don’t necessarily have to be base on highly successful movies (take Song of the South for example); but it does help. But despite its relative commercial success or failure, I hope that Disney does base an attraction on Tron; simply because I feel that the basic concept of the movie lends itself to a thrilling ride. It is very difficult for Disney to create true thrill rides because, to their credit, they simply do not erect a steel coaster structure and give it an exciting name. Disney tries to hide their attractions with elaborate themeing, usually in the form of a mountain, and they can only play that card so many times. But with Tron, the concept of being in a computer program just screams dark ride (which can be effectively concealed within a building) and high tech elements (which could be used to create a ride system similar to the Spiderman attraction over at Universal Studios). Now, I am not advocating that Disney should simply build “Tron, the ride” and plop it down in Tomorrowland, Epcot , or DHS; but rather I think that they should take the general idea and loosely base a ride on the movie, such as in the case Splash Mountain in relation to Song of the South. Again the possibilities are endless, and off the top of my head I can think up of a plausible story in which to place the attraction. Picture this: Visitors to Tomorrowland are invited to visit the home of ElecTronic Industries who are giving guests a tour their facilities and allowing them to sample their virtual reality technologies. However, during the tour “something goes wrong” and the guests are accidentally digitized into a computer based virtual world. From there, the computer mistakes the guests for computer viruses and dispatch programs to relentlessly pursue and eliminate them (insert exciting simulated lightcycle chase). The guests narrowly escape, and are then finally de-digitized out of the computer and brought back to the “real” world. The end. I am sure that Disney could come up with something much more sophisticated than this, but you get the idea as to the many possibilities of how a basic premise like Tron could be translated into a state of the art attraction.

Ignohippo

Given the lack of advertising this past week, I'd say they knew they weren't going to get the best reviews and were piling on the marketing for the first week.

That said, I think it will still do well enough for them to green light #3. I think they've always looked at this as their next franchise and are looking to #3 for the big payoff. If they can take what they've learned from the shortcomings of Legacy and dumb down the story for 3, it would still be abetter bet for a blockbuster than anything else Disney could put out there (besides Pirates). It's worth the risk.

It'll depend on a lot more than box office to determine if there will be in-park attractions. Toy and merchandise sales will be a big determining factor. Too bad the toys are pretty lacking IMO.

lebeau

Given the lack of advertising this past week, I'd say they knew they weren't going to get the best reviews and were piling on the marketing for the first week.

That said, I think it will still do well enough for them to green light #3. I think they've always looked at this as their next franchise and are looking to #3 for the big payoff. If they can take what they've learned from the shortcomings of Legacy and dumb down the story for 3, it would still be abetter bet for a blockbuster than anything else Disney could put out there (besides Pirates). It's worth the risk.

It'll depend on a lot more than box office to determine if there will be in-park attractions. Toy and merchandise sales will be a big determining factor. Too bad the toys are pretty lacking IMO.

The thing about sequels is that they tend to be more expensive (everyone wants a raise) and the returns tend to be lower*. As such, I think Tron 3 is DOA unless Legacy sprouts some legs soon.

In fact, I'd wager that the disappointment of Tron has Disney rethinking that Black Hole remake.

*There are obvious exceptions. But this typically happens when a movie builds a following on video. (See Austin Powers, Pirates, or even the original Tron).

True, you can make a great attraction out of a property that most people aren't familiar with. But that's not how Disney operates today. I don't see the Disney of today making Splash Mountain. It'd get a Pixar theme today. Or Stitch.

It'd take a heck of a lot of toy sales to get an attraction built or a sequel made. Disney sold tons of PatF merch but still considered that a disappointment.

Ignohippo

The thing about sequels is that they tend to be more expensive (everyone wants a raise) and the returns tend to be lower*. As such, I think Tron 3 is DOA unless Legacy sprouts some legs soon.

In fact, I'd wager that the disappointment of Tron has Disney rethinking that Black Hole remake.

*There are obvious exceptions. But this typically happens when a movie builds a following on video. (See Austin Powers, Pirates, or even the original Tron).

True, you can make a great attraction out of a property that most people aren't familiar with. But that's not how Disney operates today. I don't see the Disney of today making Splash Mountain. It'd get a Pixar theme today. Or Stitch.

It'd take a heck of a lot of toy sales to get an attraction built or a sequel made. Disney sold tons of PatF merch but still considered that a disappointment.

Contracts for the actors most certainly have options for the third movie.

I'm sure Disney has already figured what the basement figures need to be on Legacy before greenlighting the sequel. It may also depend on how strong the concept for the third movie is.

The real shame here is that if they just would've gotten story ironed out before putting the movie into production, Tron: Legacy would've been a sure-fire blockbuster.

Gator

So by reading some of these posts, the movie sucks because some critics didn't like it. Well....critics are idiots. I saw it and it was amazing! As a Tron fan, it stayed true to the story and had incredible action scenes.

That said, I think it would be incredible to have a Tron attraction at both American parks. They could make a 3D movie at the Imagination Pavillion in Future World - that would be very fitting.

RSoxNo1

I feel that good attractions don’t necessarily have to be base on highly successful movies (take Song of the South for example); but it does help. But despite its relative commercial success or failure, I hope that Disney does base an attraction on Tron; simply because I feel that the basic concept of the movie lends itself to a thrilling ride. It is very difficult for Disney to create true thrill rides because, to their credit, they simply do not erect a steel coaster structure and give it an exciting name. Disney tries to hide their attractions with elaborate themeing, usually in the form of a mountain, and they can only play that card so many times. But with Tron, the concept of being in a computer program just screams dark ride (which can be effectively concealed within a building) and high tech elements (which could be used to create a ride system similar to the Spiderman attraction over at Universal Studios). Now, I am not advocating that Disney should simply build “Tron, the ride” and plop it down in Tomorrowland, Epcot , or DHS; but rather I think that they should take the general idea and loosely base a ride on the movie, such as in the case Splash Mountain in relation to Song of the South. Again the possibilities are endless, and off the top of my head I can think up of a plausible story in which to place the attraction. Picture this: Visitors to Tomorrowland are invited to visit the home of ElecTronic Industries who are giving guests a tour their facilities and allowing them to sample their virtual reality technologies. However, during the tour “something goes wrong” and the guests are accidentally digitized into a computer based virtual world. From there, the computer mistakes the guests for computer viruses and dispatch programs to relentlessly pursue and eliminate them (insert exciting simulated lightcycle chase). The guests narrowly escape, and are then finally de-digitized out of the computer and brought back to the “real” world. The end. I am sure that Disney could come up with something much more sophisticated than this, but you get the idea as to the many possibilities of how a basic premise like Tron could be translated into a state of the art attraction.

I point to Song of the South/Splash Mountain all the time when discussing what can make a quality attraction. The problem is, if they're going to build an attraction from scratch it's going to be based off of a successful franchise that can sell merchandise. While this wasn't the case with Song of the South, it seems that the ability for Imagineering to sell a project is now based on how quickly they can get a return on their investment. Basing the attraction on a popular franchise is a quick way to do this.

lebeau

I point to Song of the South/Splash Mountain all the time when discussing what can make a quality attraction. The problem is, if they're going to build an attraction from scratch it's going to be based off of a successful franchise that can sell merchandise. While this wasn't the case with Song of the South, it seems that the ability for Imagineering to sell a project is now based on how quickly they can get a return on their investment. Basing the attraction on a popular franchise is a quick way to do this.

It's become the example that can justify anything. If they can make a great attraction out of Song of the South, surely they can make one out of <insert your favorite under-performing intellectual property here>.

Heck, these days Disney won't build an attraction for an actual hit (like, say Up). It has to be a hit franchise they expect to milk for the foreseeable future.

captainkidd

These days, sequels are green-lit within days (sometimes hours) upon the release of a film. I'm sure Disney was hoping for that with Tron, but there has been no mention of it yet, and each day that passes with no word, there stands less and less of a chance.

The $170 million production budget wasn't the problem, although it certainly doesn't look on track to make that back domestically. It was the marketing. As others have said, Disney marketed this movie unlike anything I've ever seen before. And before anyone else says "it'll make it up on home video", that's not gonna do it. Studios don't green-light sequels based on it making a small profit after home video. It's got to make money (and good money) in theatres.

lebeau

These days, sequels are green-lit within days (sometimes hours) upon the release of a film. I'm sure Disney was hoping for that with Tron, but there has been no mention of it yet, and each day that passes with no word, there stands less and less of a chance.

The $170 million production budget wasn't the problem, although it certainly doesn't look on track to make that back domestically. It was the marketing. As others have said, Disney marketed this movie unlike anything I've ever seen before. And before anyone else says "it'll make it up on home video", that's not gonna do it. Studios don't green-light sequels based on it making a small profit after home video. It's got to make money (and good money) in theatres.

Spot on.

SMRT-1

"it'll make it up on home video"

TRON Legacy was partly made because they know it's gonna explode when it hits Blu-ray as well as Blu-ray 3D. Current home theater technology goes hand and hand with movies like this.

"revenues from BD sales in the US in the first quarter of 2010 were $331.31 million, 68.5% more than in the same period of 2009."

these figures will only increase...

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4390

JimboJones123

So by reading some of these posts, the movie sucks because some critics didn't like it. Well....critics are idiots. I saw it and it was amazing! As a Tron fan, it stayed true to the story and had incredible action scenes.

That said, I think it would be incredible to have a Tron attraction at both American parks. They could make a 3D movie at the Imagination Pavillion in Future World - that would be very fitting.

Yeah, I really have no idea WHAT more fans could want?

JimboJones123

TRON Legacy was partly made because they know it's gonna explode when it hits Blu-ray as well as Blu-ray 3D. Current home theater technology goes hand and hand with movies like this.

"revenues from BD sales in the US in the first quarter of 2010 were $331.31 million, 68.5% more than in the same period of 2009."

these figures will only increase...

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4390

This is a very important factor.

Lee

Adventurer
Finally got around to seening Tron Legacy at the Imax yesterday.
Story was...eh....so-so...
But the visuals and music were amazing.

If Disney hasn't been on the phone with Vekoma about designing a Tron-themed custom indoor Motocoaster, someone needs to be fired.
Vekoma-motorbike-launch-coaster_58012328.jpg

lebeau

This is a very important factor.

Tron, like Alice in Wonderland, is a spectacle meant to be experienced on the big screen in 3-D. Like AiW, it's home video prospects seem limited. Alice was a bigger hit at theaters and underwhelmed in video sales. I don't see Tron being more successful than Alice. :shrug:

It's great you guys loved the movie so much. But if you just look at the performance to date, it's not a blockbuster. And there's no indication that's going to change during its remaining box office run or home video.

Take solace in the fact the movie was a base hit instead of a flop.

RSoxNo1

Tron definitely lends itself to several different concepts for theme park rides. The Motocoaster is just one example.

As for the justificiation that you can make an attraction themed around anything - you definitely can. But now a days Disney has to justify it with a return on the investment. An attraction like Splash Mountain would be a tougher sell because the quality of the attraction wouldn't necessarily translate into merchandise dollars.

Look at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Disney isn't upset about Forbidden Journey, they're upset about the 60+% increase in merchandise sales at Universal.

tirian

Look at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Disney isn't upset about Forbidden Journey, they're upset about the 60+% increase in merchandise sales at Universal.

They're also upset about the thousands of HP scarves parading through the Disney parks, many worn by guests who used Magical Express.

stevemorriswdw

I wouldn't think Disney would make a ride out of Tron:Legacy. Though if they were to make a ride based on the movie then I would say make the ride that involves the light cycles. Like a light cycle race or something similar to that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom