Castle Ramp Smoking Section Eliminated

Status
Not open for further replies.

draybook

prince_zpsiksddfy3.gif

DaGoof00

This is great news!! As an MD, I'd like to see all of these areas eliminated, but at least this area can be appreciated by all now. Best to keep smoking areas (if they must exist) off the beaten path; no reason the innocent need to be breathing all that in. Good work Disney!

photomatt

From my observations smokers are going way out of there way to not offend anyone,

I am not questioning your personal observations, but my personal observations and experiences have been completely different. I could describe many personal experiences where smoking has taken place in areas not designated as such - including the ferry between the MK and TTC. During my numerous personal experiences with this issue, it was very clear that the person, or persons, who chose to smoke had no regard to designated smoking areas or "offending" non-smokers.

According to the CDC, in 2012, 42.1 million adults in the US were smokers. That is approximately 18.1% of the US adult population. That is a clear minority. Link here - http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/campaign/tips/resources/data/cigarette-smoking-in-united-states.html

It's 2015. It is time for the majority of the population to stop tolerating secondhand cigarette smoke. The majority should stand up for their right to enjoy a visit to a Disney park without having to walk through a gauntlet of smoke. The majority should encourage Disney to eliminate smoking areas at the parks.

Smoking is a choice. Going to Walt Disney World is a choice. It's 2015, and it's time to make smokers choose. They can choose to smoke, or they can choose to visit a Disney park. Doing both at the same time should no longer be an option.

Scooter

As long as tobacco is legal to buy, there should be places for people to smoke in public. I quit smoking years ago but I also understand the needs of smokers and how hard it is to quit. Things will get really interesting when smoking marijuana is legal in Florida. Id rather have my kids inhale 2nd hand smoke than inhale the smoke from a joint.
I say make tobbacco illegal and then and only then get rid of all smoking areas.

Goofyernmost

Wow, you sound really angry. Maybe you need a smoke? :) Seriously, I don't like smoking areas because at this point, cigarette smoke smells like death to me, and also, I generally like people, and many people are smokers and I don't want them to die a horrible death. But I don't gloat over the loss of a smoking area, and I don't feel smug. I don't treat smokers like scum. I treat them as people who have gotten themselves into a bad predicament from which I hope they will escape.
Then you weren't who I was talking too. Because I was a long time smoker and I know how hard it was to quit, I have a degree of sympathy for those that are still working on it or at least have the common courtesy to attempt to isolate themselves from everyone else.

It's alright to not like the smell of smoke. I'm just sick of everyone thinking that if they are exposed for two seconds to smoke they will automatically be signing their own death certificate and start preparing for cancer. I smoked for 42 years and at times heavily, I do not have cancer so tell me why it seems that people feel that walking nearby will do them in. Especially since they either flew there in an airplane or drove there in a car or rode there in a bus spewing pollutants into that air, but, that's OK because they NEED to do that, just don't let anyone else infringe on their space with someone else's needs. I am angry about it. I know what it was like to see people with drug addictions be catered with all available resources to help them through those addictions. You don't see anything like that with smoking. For that it is just don't allow them to have any in my vicinity and I don't care what they are going through. Instead of encouragement, they get ridiculed and kicked to the curb whenever the righteous feel it worthwhile. I've had my say, and am going to drop it from here, but, like I said, I wouldn't be surprised to see bit of backlash over the insensitivity shown to them constantly.

People with asthma problems do have concerns and that is why the smokers are relegated to semi-isolated areas, but when all is said and done, it is up to the asthmatic person to avoid the areas that will cause them harm, it is not the responsibility of the rest of civilization to fall over to accommodate them anymore then the delegated areas already do.

photomatt

As long as tobacco is legal to buy, there should be places for people to smoke in public.

I understand this argument, and on the surface it sounds logical. The problem is that secondhand cigarette smoke is known to contain more than 7,000 chemicals, including hundreds that are toxic and about 70 that can cause cancer. Link here - http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/secondhand_smoke/general_facts/

If smokers want to smoke, they can do so in their own homes. I should not have to inhale poison in a public place because of another person's addiction.

photomatt

People with asthma problems do have concerns and that is why the smokers are relegated to semi-isolated areas, but when all is said and done, it is up to the asthmatic person to avoid the areas that will cause them harm, it is not the responsibility of the rest of civilization to fall over to accommodate them anymore then the delegated areas already do.
A Disney theme park should not be an area that an asthmatic person might need to avoid.

RSoxNo1

At this point, I think there's only the one at the Adventureland entrance, the two on the Storybook Circus to Tomorrowland path, and the one by Big Thunder, is that correct?

Shanksterr

Does this mean the crane is gone tomorrow? I thought it was there till the 12th. Thought that area isn't accessible when it's there, so seems like a good time to make the switch.

New Maps show its gone. This is a nice change.

B-0UnkyVIAARFGW.jpg
pic from twitter

Last edited:

MarkTwain

Great news for Magic Kingdom. I don't disapprove of the existence of smoking areas entirely; I think it's nice that smokers have a place to go without having to leave the MK, and I think removing them completely would just cause many smokers to be sneakier with how they do it. But I agree this one was poorly-placed in such a beautiful and high traffic area.

Last edited:

Brewmaster

I no longer smoke, but, I once did and my memory is pretty good. I hope you don't get jubilant because for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. They have made it almost impossible to fit in a cigarette break in MK anymore. Oh, I know you are all saying... hooray, but, like I said, don't be surprised to see more nicotine addicted humans giving up and just smoking in any area that they happen to be standing in. Let's treat these people like scum while we add alcohol to the grounds everywhere. I mean that has never caused any problems either socially or physically has it. I won't even mention how badly that withdrawal can affect mood. As long as we don't mind listening to people whose patience is shredded to the bone, I guess letting them deal with that anxiety will be ok.

From my observations smokers are going way out of there way to not offend anyone, yet, everyone finds it necessary to just keep kicking them. I did not see even one person smoking outside of a smoking area on my trip this month. Not one. I don't even have a problem with them moving it from that location, because, that was/is not a smart place to put it, but, by not replacing it someplace else everyone has just shown the disdain that they have for the people that have that particular need. So all of you have your drinks and smugly contemplate your victories. Humanity at it's best!

Sour grapes are in season

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I'm fine with smoking areas that are out of the way. That smoking area was in a terrible place. The one in Adventureland is, likewise, in a terrible location.

The best one at MK is on the path from Space Mountain to Barnstormer.

They can't go away, at least not yet. Not only is smoking still a rather common practice in the US (with, as posted, about 25% of the population doing it), it's even more common with foreign guests.

In an ideal world, would it be smoke free? Sure, I suppose. But, since it still exists and is still legal, making it hard for smokers to isolate themselves will only mean you'll see more of them sneaking it at other areas, or simply flaunting the rules outright.

tissandtully

I'm fine with smoking areas that are out of the way. That smoking area was in a terrible place. The one in Adventureland is, likewise, in a terrible location.

The best one at MK is on the path from Space Mountain to Barnstormer.

They can't go away, at least not yet. Not only is smoking still a rather common practice in the US (with, as posted, about 25% of the population doing it), it's even more common with foreign guests.

In an ideal world, would it be smoke free? Sure, I suppose. But, since it still exists and is still legal, making it hard for smokers to isolate themselves will only mean you'll see more of them sneaking it at other areas, or simply flaunting the rules outright.

25% and dropping, I wonder why...

englanddg

One Little Spark...
25% and dropping, I wonder why...
It fluctuates. First, you can't use the strict CDC definition of a "smoker" for their purposes for this sort of discussion, as it doesn't accurately reflect the entire genre. They define a "smoker" as someone who has smoked more than 100 cigarettes. It ignores people who vape, smoke cigars, or don't smoke habitually, but rather at a significantly lower rate.

The actual rate of smoking has declined over the past 30 years or so, but has floated between 20 and 30% since the late 80s, spiking in different years. So...yeah, it's decreasing, since the 40s, but it's certainly not disappearing.

Also, as noted, foreign guests and cultures do not have the same feelings about smoking as we do in the US. And, as WDW is an international destination resort, this should be considered.

Your personal feelings on the matter aside, it's really something which should be relegated to the purveyor. I do not support public smoking bans through legislation. I do, however, fully support private businesses and individuals who decide to ban it for their establishments. I, personally, think that restaurants are better without indoor smoking sections, however I do think it should be up to the venue.

The choice is simple...if you don't want to be exposed to it, don't expose yourself to it. Do not attend places which have it. Distant exposure to second hand smoke isn't going to strike you with cancer. The studies which mark the effects of second hand smoke tend to use levels which are akin to exposure that is beyond even what a smoker exposes themselves to on a normal basis. Am I saying it's healthy? No. But, saccharin causes cancer as well (with high exposure). There is no reason to overstate the risk for the sake of making a political or personal point.

For a large outdoor area, such as a theme park, banning it outright is probably not the best operational decision. As I said, people will flaunt the ban. For example, smoking is banned at the resorts on the balconies, but people still do it. People who smoke are not going to stop simply because they are at Disney. So, you need to account for it, reasonably.

Designated smoking areas that are out of the way are the perfect way to do so, and a reasonable compromise.

halltd

First the BAH and now this? Are the Epcot tombstones next? :)

I always hated this smoking area because it was on such a narrow pathway. The one by Adventureland is also awful. I was discussing with a friend on my last visit over there about the possibility of eliminating them all and if that would work. Hopefully it's heading that way!

raymusiccity

I no longer smoke, but, I once did and my memory is pretty good. I hope you don't get jubilant because for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. They have made it almost impossible to fit in a cigarette break in MK anymore. Oh, I know you are all saying... hooray, but, like I said, don't be surprised to see more nicotine addicted humans giving up and just smoking in any area that they happen to be standing in. Let's treat these people like scum while we add alcohol to the grounds everywhere. I mean that has never caused any problems either socially or physically has it. I won't even mention how badly that withdrawal can affect mood. As long as we don't mind listening to people whose patience is shredded to the bone, I guess letting them deal with that anxiety will be ok.

From my observations smokers are going way out of there way to not offend anyone, yet, everyone finds it necessary to just keep kicking them. I did not see even one person smoking outside of a smoking area on my trip this month. Not one. I don't even have a problem with them moving it from that location, because, that was/is not a smart place to put it, but, by not replacing it someplace else everyone has just shown the disdain that they have for the people that have that particular need. So all of you have your drinks and smugly contemplate your victories. Humanity at it's best!

Smokers do it to themselves. They perpetuate people disliking them for their constant habit or pitching their cigarette butts hither and yon! You'll find butts in the bushes, water rides, walkways, et al. Smoke free can't come soon enough...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom