Casey's Corner closing for lengthy refurbishment in the new year

Gomer

I believe the pictures are shot mostly from the area near the bathrooms/first aid/ baby care center. So the entrance hasn't moved and the seating area is still behind the green wall.

Gomer

They don't really need any railings, just a small sign that says "beware of lethal grass snakes".
I think the more likely effect of that sign would be patrons throwing pieces of their hot dogs to into the grassy area to feed the lethal grass snakes. Then the grass snakes will get bigger, become a problem, and start eating the ducks in front of all the diners. And who says Disney doesn't offer live entertainment anymore.

COProgressFan

I like the open park-like look of that founatin area as is, but you'd think they'd have to be putting railings up right? Or people will walk all over that grass.

My thought is since they didn't install railings, they are intending for people to stand in those grassy areas. Even if just during fireworks or other crowding/overflow times. Otherwise the grass wouldn't be there and the railings would have returned with mulch and low shrubs.. (Of course they can't plant flowers in a theme park...)

Gomer

My thought is since they didn't install railings, they are intending for people to stand in those grassy areas. Even if just during fireworks or other crowding/overflow times. Otherwise the grass wouldn't be there and the railings would have returned with mulch and low shrubs.. (Of course they can't plant flowers in a theme park...)

True. I didn't notice until I took another look at the pictures, but those areas have a pretty clear view of the castle. I thought there were more trees in the way there. But I could see them using that for overflow on busy nights or even a FP+ location. Or maybe they'll let people bring in Blankets and have a picnic with their hot dogs and a nice view of the castle.

SAV

Or maybe they'll let people bring in Blankets and have a picnic with their hot dogs and a nice view of the castle.

Only if you reserve it with one of your 3 FP+ choices.

Or it will be like the Fantasmic dining package. 1 Hot Dog, Fries, Drink and toppings Plus a reserved spot for the fireworks, all for the low, low price of $50 per person...plus tax.

willtravel

I'm having a little difficulty with orientation here. Is the entrance to Casey's on the side now? Is the seating area behind the green fence? Is that stop folks from parking there waiting for the fireworks? Any bets on how long it will be before people are sitting on top of the fence to watch the fireworks? :angelic:
I agree. I think I need a side by side photo. Before and after.

yellowb

If you look at Google maps, it appears they took out some flower beds in favor of grass, and removed the big tree in the center of the circular spoke.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
They don't really need any railings, just a small sign that says "beware of lethal grass snakes".

Or perhaps THIS

a4004213-134-Caution%20This%20Sign%20Has%20Sharp%20Edges.jpg

COProgressFan

Or - more space for guests to move through an extremely congested area.

True enough, Steve, but we've seen what they've done with the rest of the hub and town square. And the rest of the resort really, where areas with flowers or blooming plants have been replaced with more generic and easy to maintain mulch and small shrubs. Though I will admit, in this case, a grassy area is better than pavement!

Until this new hub project is completed, I know I am hoping with bated breath that there will be more to it than vast areas of even more pavement.

There has to be a happy medium where the walkways can be widened or modified, while retaining natural foliage. The Magic Kingdom PARK hasn't felt very PARK-like in the last 10 or so years because of the culmination of many of these changes.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Or - more space for guests to move through an extremely congested area.

True enough Steve, But the 'park' feels more like a carpark these days with the total absence of shade and places to rest, The fact that more walkway is needed is undeniable but HOW they implement it is critical and if it's just another endless vista of concrete well, I stand by my original statement.

Bolt

True enough, Steve, but we've seen what they've done with the rest of the hub and town square. And the rest of the resort really, where areas with flowers or blooming plants have been replaced with more generic and easy to maintain mulch and small shrubs. Though I will admit, in this case, a grassy area is better than pavement!

Until this new hub project is completed, I know I am hoping with bated breath that there will be more to it than vast areas of even more pavement.

There has to be a happy medium where the walkways can be widened or modified, while retaining natural foliage. The Magic Kingdom PARK hasn't felt very PARK-like in the last 10 or so years because of the culmination of many of these changes.
I'd say because the culture of the guests in the last ten years have become much ruder.

CRO-Magnum

I'd say because the culture of the guests in the last ten years have become much ruder.

I agree, and I believe it's the by-product of the skyrocketing prices. Disney World is an insanely expensive place now, so people feel compelled to get every ounce of whatever it is they feel they've bought in while they're there. I've witnessed guests taking everything from flatware and glasses in restaurants to a bag full of napkins from a counter service location and potted flowers waiting to be planted with the explanation "For how much I paid they owe me". I never saw that 10, 20, or 30yrs ago. And it's adults, the ones paying, not adolescents. To me as Disney's greed has accelerated so has the downward spiral in guest behavior. I've validated this with several friends, some of whom like me no longer see Disney as a vacation because there's no relaxation. It's more like volunteering at a charity auction where I'm required to bid on everything while helping out!

At more reasonable prices people are more leisurely. Our local theme park, which is a great deal and well maintained (Carrowinds), has much less pushing and shoving (from a predominantly teenage crowd) than what we experienced during our last trip to WDW.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
As the hub project nears completion, I would bet that railing will be installed in the area that was just unveiled. I also noticed in some other photos posted online, that there are scrims above the area above the First Aid/Baby Center. Maybe they're finally putting some facades in that area to block the view of the warehouse-like back side of Main Street. This would be a huge improvement from the current view. The new Main Street bypass on the TL side will hopefully take care the those same bad sight lines on that east side of Main Street.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

True enough Steve, But the 'park' feels more like a carpark these days with the total absence of shade and places to rest, The fact that more walkway is needed is undeniable but HOW they implement it is critical and if it's just another endless vista of concrete well, I stand by my original statement.

You both make valid points. There needs to be a balance. I'm going to wait to see the end result on this one.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
You both make valid points. There needs to be a balance. I'm going to wait to see the end result on this one.
I'm not judging the project yet either....seems as though the hub project is large in scope, so until all the pieces are near completion, I wouldn't expect the final landscaping design to be implemented until the major work is done. I've actually heard talk of more trees being added around the new ring to discourage guests from stopping to view fireworks...making the ring more for crowd movement, not viewing.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm not judging the project yet either....seems as though the hub project is large in scope, so until all the pieces are near completion, I wouldn't expect the final landscaping design to be implemented until the major work is done. I've actually heard talk of more trees being added around the new ring to discourage guests from stopping to view fireworks...making the ring more for crowd movement, not viewing.

If adding trees TO the ring is in the cards I think that would be a GOOD design decision from my point of view.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom