Captain EO Future?

Matt_Black

True, but, that bad rap had a basis of reality in it. Yes, I know he was acquitted, so was OJ! I don't believe that for a second either.

You realize that many of the accusers have since stated that they were pressured into making the allegations by their parents in an attempt to score money?

Goofyernmost

You realize that many of the accusers have since stated that they were pressured into making the allegations by their parents in an attempt to score money?
Or perhaps they had already scored money before they reneged. It is really easy to put way to much trust in human nature.

Sorry, I know he was adored my millions, and that fan base is probably what pushed him into weird, but weird he did go. I'm sure there are others that would if truly exposed would fall under the same category, but they aren't in firing range or are not considered important enough to be an icon. They also don't have a top billing roll in a Disney Theme Park.

JordanNite

True, but, that bad rap had a basis of reality in it. Yes, I know he was acquitted, so was OJ! I don't believe that for a second either. In the early days he was an idol and seemed worthy to be in a Disney park. After his death it was strictly a way to capitalize on his death. If it had been a brief encounter then it could be said that it was a tribute, but, it has gone on way to long for that. For a company that once insisted that Annette not show her navel the standards for what constitutes a Disney representative surely fell a long way.

Heck, it did that pretty quickly in it's first showing up in that theater years ago. It's like Epcot's own Uncle/Cousin Orville. :)

Firstly he was a musical genius, who wrote and produced some of the most important hits in music history, the biggest selling musical artist of all time, one of the greatest dancers this world has seen, probably an artist who has had the most influence on music in generations. An artist not just popular in the USA but who transended borders and was an international mega star - he was worthy on attraction, and as a permanantly memorial deserves to keep an attraction of sorts towards him - whether that be at Disney or someplace else.

If you look at how much Cirque De Soliel, and other companies have payed to use the image rights of Michael Jackson to his estate since his death it's insane - and here Disney have his image rights on a show for free. An attraction this is yes showing signs of age, but when seen through the intentions of providing some form of homage to one of the greatest musicians of all time it can be understood.

Secondly, with regards to his reputation - if you firmly believe in the system of your court system, the idea of being innocent till proven guility, the notion of being found guilty by a jury of your peers - if you believe in that as a barometer of innocence or guilt then you have to hand the man the benefit of the doubt. But remember if you don't believe in it, then for everyone found innocent or guilty you have to hold the same standard. To use the OJ trial as an example is utterly ludicrous - one horrendous case doesn't mean the whole judicial system is rotten.

Furthermore, if you actual read about the case, have your own opinions and conclusions - not read media speculation and tabloid stories - you will without a shadow of doubt see he wasn't guilty - and a jury of his peers felt the same way.

The man was indeed messed up - perhaps a difficult childhood, abuse, fame, pressures, etc - but the same man was also a musical genius, one of the greatest dancers of all time, and one of the most famous, if not thee most famous, human being on the planet.

Last edited:

Occasional Guest

We watched Captain EO last week. It took 10 minutes of delay's for them to get the movie to start after the CM introduced it. It was, in my opinion, really hard to watch. The Special Effects were terrible and the story was not enjoyable, again in my opinion. I wouldn't sit through this again.

Magenta Panther

Firstly he is the biggest selling musical artist of all time, probably an artist who has had the most influence on music in generations. An artist not just popular in the USA but who transended borders and was an international mega star - he was worthy on attraction, and as a permanantly memorial deserves to keep an attraction of sorts towards him - whether that be at Disney or someplace else.

If you look at how much Cirque De Soliel, and other companies have payed to use the image rights to Michael Jackson since his death it's insane - and here Disney have his image rights on a show for free.

Secondly, with regards to his reputation - if you firmly believe in the system of your court system, the idea of being innocent till proven guility, the notion of being found guilty by a jury of your peers - if you believe in that as a barometer of innocence or guilt then you have to hand the man the benefit of the doubt. But remember if you don't believe in it, then for everyone found innocent or guilty you have to hold the same standard. To use the OJ trial as an example is utterly ludicrous - one horrendous case doesn't mean the vast majority of cases are in the vein.

Furthermore, if you actual read about the case, have your own opinions and conclusions - not read media speculation and tabloid stories - you will without a shadow of doubt see he wasn't guilty - and a jury of his peers felt the same way.

The man was indeed messed up - perhaps a difficult childhood, abuse, fame, pressures, etc - but the same man was also a musical genius, one of the greatest dancers of all time, and one of the most famous, if not thee most famous, human being on the planet.

For my part, I think Michael was emotionally arrested and had other psychological issues...but I honestly don't think he was a pedophile. Not enough evidence.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Whether or not Michael Jackson was a pedophile, the limited return of Captain EO has exceeded the word "limited" and overstayed it's welcome. Unfortunately, many of the attractions in Future World overstayed their welcome. As tortured as we all are with the state imagination pavilion and it's offerings, at least the Honey I Shrunk the Audience is loosely tied to the disaster next door at JII...

Neither of these attractions inspire much in the way of imagination anymore nor do they "tug at your heart strings". I echo the views of several here that a major re-imagining of the pavilion is needed. Why not start with the closing of EO and the installation of something new in the space? By starting with the Magic Eye theater, they can begin to develop a new concept that can be carried over throughout the whole pavilion. You have 3 attraction spaces that can be linked around the actual theme of imagination.

{putting on flame retardant suit}

*1023*

Goofyernmost

Whether or not Michael Jackson was a pedophile, the limited return of Captain EO has exceeded the word "limited" and overstayed it's welcome. Unfortunately, many of the attractions in Future World overstayed their welcome. As tortured as we all are with the state imagination pavilion and it's offerings, at least the Honey I Shrunk the Audience is loosely tied to the disaster next door at JII...

Neither of these attractions inspire much in the way of imagination anymore nor do they "tug at your heart strings". I echo the views of several here that a major re-imagining of the pavilion is needed. Why not start with the closing of EO and the installation of something new in the space? By starting with the Magic Eye theater, they can begin to develop a new concept that can be carried over throughout the whole pavilion. You have 3 attraction spaces that can be linked around the actual theme of imagination.

*1023*
Why would you need a "flame retardant suit? I think most of us totally agree with you.

Cmdr_Crimson

Were you alive in 1987? This was a big deal for the time.

Yes...Yes I was..I was born in 78..Well aware of it..I love 80's nostalgia that's why I posted this...Also It was Sept 12th 1986 when EO was released...But, it doesn't compare to what Came out a Month before Captain EO came out August 1st 1986 from Lucas that just sits in the back of his mind....
howard-the-duck-movie-poster-1986-1020265447.jpg

MattOrk

Capt EO was Michael Eisner showing Wall St the kind of stardom he could pull in and his willingness to open Disney to bigger talents. Think of everything that followed Capt Eo and how that kept the company from being bought up and like Chips Ahoy on rollback.

1970s Disney is the company that told Lucas to go take a hike with Star Wars. Then they made Black Hole.

Thanks Mike Eisner!!

As for Howard the Duck; I just watch it for Jeffery Jones.

Yes...Yes I was..I was born in 78..Well aware of it..I love 80's nostalgia that's why I posted this...Also It was Sept 12th 1986 when EO was released...But, it doesn't compare to what Came out on August 1st 1986 from Lucas that just sits in the back of his mind....

MattOrk

*1023*
It's just hard to replace a 3-D movie when they play next to Walmart. Maybe bulldoze the whole area for something new. Worked for Magic Kingdom.

>inb4 they replace the entirety of Future World with Frozen bc we totally need more Frozen u guise dont u understand!!11

As a teenager, the entire section of Future World is outdated and, well, boring. It's easily one of my least favorite parts in WDW. The only part I like remotely is Figment. What can I say? The lil' guy's cute. As MattOrk said, bulldoze the area and put something new in it. Perhaps something actually innovative and reminiscent of a futuristic world?

Goofyernmost

>inb4 they replace the entirety of Future World with Frozen bc we totally need more Frozen u guise dont u understand!!11

As a teenager, the entire section of Future World is outdated and, well, boring. It's easily one of my least favorite parts in WDW. The only part I like remotely is Figment. What can I say? The lil' guy's cute. As MattOrk said, bulldoze the area and put something new in it. Perhaps something actually innovative and reminiscent of a futuristic world?
If you liked that one you would be absolutely Ga-ga if you had seen the original.

FoozieBear

Original Poster
Yes...Yes I was..I was born in 78..Well aware of it..I love 80's nostalgia that's why I posted this...Also It was Sept 12th 1986 when EO was released...But, it doesn't compare to what Came out a Month before Captain EO came out August 1st 1986 from Lucas that just sits in the back of his mind....

Hey! They stole that tagline from 1979's The Muppet Movie!!
The_Muppet_Movie.jpg

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour

So as a young person, would scrap the whole front of the park and rebuild it? There is anything redeeming in any other attraction?

The list on your chopping block could be:

In The Seas - Nemo, Turtle Talk with Crush, the aquariums, and the sit down restaurant?
In The Land - Soarin, Living with the Land, Circle of Life, and the QS restaurant?
In Imagination: JII with Figment, Captain EO Shrunk the Audience, and ImageWorks?
Odyssey: The rarely used restaurant/meeting area.
TestTrack2.0
Mission Space & Training Center
WoL: The Pavilion that used to contain 3 attractions and is now a part time festival center.
Universe of Energy: Loud movies with Dinosaur Dinorama intermission that is currently missing storyline AIs...
SpaceShipEarth: Judy Dench narrated history of communication and Project Tomorrow Post show games.
Innoventions: East and West with their minor advertising entertainment options and Sum of All Thrills.

If you are just focusing on the imagination pavilion, would you really need to level the buildings or would new attractions on the inside of them be ok?

Do you think it's laughable that FP+ was added to JII with Figment in the first place?

I have no end (hyperbole) of questions to ask about all the parks and their offerings but I'll stop there.

*1023*

P.S. You should really seek out Martin's Videos of the original attractions there...Figment was more fun.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom