Captain EO Future?

FoozieBear

Original Poster
What is the future of the Captain EO Tribute in Epcot? Personally, I'm not a fan of it, so I wouldn't mind it being scrapped for a new 3D film (Honey I Shrunk the Audience was far more superior) and Captain EO overstayed it's welcome. It doesn't get good crowds and it's the least popular attraction in the park.

What are the future plans for that film? I would like to find out if Disney was working on a new 3D film for that spot. What would you like to see in that location?

JasonDeyoung

I thought originally it was just back as a tribute and was going to go back to other honey I shrunk the audience or a new film. I agree, it defiantly has over stayed, I'm sure something is in the works. I thought I read somewhere the DL one is getting replaced soon

wdwjmp239

I saw CaptainEO for the second time in my life back in June 2014 (the only time before that I was a kid) and I have to say that the pre-show was the longest, most boring piece of dreck I have ever seen in a Disney attraction. Then, when I got into the theater and was actually watching the movie, I was looking for a plot, some sort of storyline, some type of substance, but realizing that Michael Jackson was acting (and overacting in about 85% of the film), that just killed it for me. It's time for CaptainEO to go bye-bye and if Disney ever decides to resurrect this film again, I'll be selling back my DVC points for dirt cheap, cashing in on my annual pass, and returning every piece of Disney memorabilia I purchased from Day 1.

Hope they do they something soon. The Imagination Pavilion is definitely lacking imagination.

JordanNite

The King Of Pop ruled peoples hearts, generations, demographics, and people of all colours around the world - not just the USA (Where he had a bad rep towards the end).

Spike-in-Berlin

I overestimated the impact of Captain Eos return to EPCOT. When I finally saw it in 2012 for the first time since the last century, I was actually quite bored. I consider it heavily outdated and only of nostalgic value, it only adds to the scent of decay at the desaster area of the present JII pavilion. Take it out and replace it by something entirely new. And tear out the present JII incarnation as well please.

NMBC1993

I've said it in other EO posts, I'll say it again. I love Captain EO and make a point to see it whenever I'm in Epcot. Yes, it is definitely a product of the 80's, but it shows the passion and art that went into designing the costumes, sets, effects, etc. and was quite an achievement back in the day. These days with CG this and green screen that (I'm looking at you SW prequels) it's starting to feel like big budget films have no heart, just mindless destruction with CG explosions. I agree Captain EO should not be around forever, but that won't stop me from getting in many viewings as possible before it's gone...again. Besides we all know TDO, it's either Captain EO or an empty building.

On a side note, the video editor in me laughs every time I see Hooter hanging from the ceiling in one shot, then immediately is back on the ground facing the other direction in the next shot:p

RScottyL

I agree! I think it is time to retire it and put it on Blu-ray!

I saw CaptainEO for the second time in my life back in June 2014 (the only time before that I was a kid) and I have to say that the pre-show was the longest, most boring piece of dreck I have ever seen in a Disney attraction. Then, when I got into the theater and was actually watching the movie, I was looking for a plot, some sort of storyline, some type of substance, but realizing that Michael Jackson was acting (and overacting in about 85% of the film), that just killed it for me. It's time for CaptainEO to go bye-bye and if Disney ever decides to resurrect this film again, I'll be selling back my DVC points for dirt cheap, cashing in on my annual pass, and returning every piece of Disney memorabilia I purchased from Day 1.

Hope they do they something soon. The Imagination Pavilion is definitely lacking imagination.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I thought it was great! And when I took my friend to see it this past August, that was one of his favorites! And we're 16 :p I like the music, the costumes, and Michael Jackson. The story and setting is really weird though.

I wouldn't mind it staying. I like it. But it's also not something I'd miss a lot if it left. I just find it nice to watch each time I visit for some reason.

And I don't believe it's the least popular attraction in the park. Has Reflections of China had a huge crowd lately..? Or it's next door neighbor with Figment? Honestly, the same amount of people that end up in the theatre are actually probably the same amount of people that end up in the American Adventure theatre. I'm pretty sure there will be some "NUH UHHHH" posts after this, but it's true.

draybook

I love me some EO. I was forced to watch it alone by the family our last EO night, but that's ok. Plus, if they get rid of it I still have my 3d glasses from it that I got a couple of years ago.

Dwarful

took the girls to see it when it reopened. When it was over they were all asking why we made them sit through that. they actually were laughing through most of it...I think they were just thrilled they didn't live through 80s fashion. lol. That was the second time I saw it...first time was on its first run. that is a lot of real estate for low crowds.

Goofyernmost

The King Of Pop ruled peoples hearts, generations, demographics, and people of all colours around the world - not just the USA (Where he had a bad rep towards the end).
True, but, that bad rap had a basis of reality in it. Yes, I know he was acquitted, so was OJ! I don't believe that for a second either. In the early days he was an idol and seemed worthy to be in a Disney park. After his death it was strictly a way to capitalize on his death. If it had been a brief encounter then it could be said that it was a tribute, but, it has gone on way to long for that. For a company that once insisted that Annette not show her navel the standards for what constitutes a Disney representative surely fell a long way.

It's overstayed it's welcome...
Heck, it did that pretty quickly in it's first showing up in that theater years ago. It's like Epcot's own Uncle/Cousin Orville. :)

FettFan

True, but, that bad rap had a basis of reality in it. Yes, I know he was acquitted, so was OJ! I don't believe that for a second either. In the early days he was an idol and seemed worthy to be in a Disney park. After his death it was strictly a way to capitalize on his death. If it had been a brief encounter then it could be said that it was a tribute, but, it has gone on way to long for that. For a company that once insisted that Annette not show her navel the standards for what constitutes a Disney representative surely fell a long way.

1407802478513.png

"I would never **** her. That is one ugly panda *****. If you were panda, you would know she one ugly panda *****. I'd rather lick my own ***** than **** that panda *****. I wouldn't **** her with a koala's ****." - Robin Williams, Live On Broadway

Last edited:

FettFan

There is a difference my friend. Robin Williams could be raw, but, please don't compare that to being a pedophile.

Alleged pedophile. He maintained his innocence all the way and was found not guilty....twice.

You know who was accused of hording kiddie and pled guilty via plea bargain?

This guy:
rx-24.jpg

http://www.today.com/id/4563512/ns/...-pleads-guilty-obscenity-charge/#.VCd40WddWSo

That was in 2004. He remained the star of the show until it was refurbed into The Adventures Continue.

And it was about the same time that Chairman Clench actor Jeffrey Jones got all X-S with a minor....and he's still over at DisneyQuest, from what I hear.
DQ07.jpg

"If it can't be done with a 14-year-old boy, then it shouldn't be done at all."

Cmdr_Crimson

Heck, it did that pretty quickly in it's first showing up in that theater years ago. It's like Epcot's own Uncle/Cousin Orville.:)

What's surprising is how much faith they really put into this attraction and hyped the heck out it....They even had a 45 minute Grand opening Special/Parade with music performers and everyone being there for this...Check this out!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom