Captain EO Future?

So as a young person, would scrap the whole front of the park and rebuild it? There is anything redeeming in any other attraction?

The list on your chopping block could be:

In The Seas - Nemo, Turtle Talk with Crush, the aquariums, and the sit down restaurant?
In The Land - Soarin, Living with the Land, Circle of Life, and the QS restaurant?
In Imagination: JII with Figment, Captain EO Shrunk the Audience, and ImageWorks?
Odyssey: The rarely used restaurant/meeting area.
TestTrack2.0
Mission Space & Training Center
WoL: The Pavilion that used to contain 3 attractions and is now a part time festival center.
Universe of Energy: Loud movies with Dinosaur Dinorama intermission that is currently missing storyline AIs...
SpaceShipEarth: Judy Dench narrated history of communication and Project Tomorrow Post show games.
Innoventions: East and West with their minor advertising entertainment options and Sum of All Thrills.

If you are just focusing on the imagination pavilion, would you really need to level the buildings or would new attractions on the inside of them be ok?

Do you think it's laughable that FP+ was added to JII with Figment in the first place?

I have no end (hyperbole) of questions to ask about all the parks and their offerings but I'll stop there.

*1023*

P.S. You should really seek out Martin's Videos of the original attractions there...Figment was more fun.

Aha. Knew I was missing some attractions and such. It was quite late when I made that post, after all, I was bound to forget a lot when I'm in a bought of insomnia.

List on my chopping block would primarily be Innoventions, In The Land (sans Soarin), EO/StA, ImageWorks, Odyssey, WoL, and Universe of Energy. I think if we were to scrap what's inside most of the buildings and replace them with new attractions on the inside, that would be better. It's more costly to level an entire park, after all.

My personal opinion (as a sixteen-year-old female whose interests are, I admit, somewhat different to most of my peers)?

In The Seas was cute, somewhat forgettable in some aspects. I find Turtle Talk With Crush to have been innovative and interactive. I haven't experienced the sit down restaurant; it's on my 'to-do' list.

Soarin' was alright; it could do with a refurbishment, however, perhaps adding more to the experience and getting new footage. Living With the Land was really only good in that I was able to sit down for a while. The Circle of Life show was outdated and, well, kind of cheesy - the only decent aspect was the fact that they used characters from one of my favorite movies. The QS restaurant was nice.

Jll with Figment is cute, as said before. Captain EO? Outdated and cheesy. I wasn't a huge fan of Michael Jackson in the first place, but I got strong "direct to TV/video" sci-fi film vibe when I saw it, the kind where you'd only see it at 3 AM on television. ImageWorks was okay - it amused my younger brother the first time he went, and I was happy about that (he's a very picky thirteen-year-old with severe Autism). I was more interested in seeing his reactions than the actual experience. Odyssey, if not used more, ought to be replaced with something that would be used often.

TestTrack2.0 was fun. I totally forgot about that. I found it to be pretty cool, and exciting, especially since I hadn't read about it much before my trip and had no clue what it was about until I got there. Mission Space and the Training Center made me a bit nauseous, but it's not something I would replace.

I can't comment wholly on WoL (never went to it, closed before I got there) but I'd say that it could be used more than part time. Universe of Energy was sort of boring, really. The only thing that perked my interest was the Dinosaur Dinorama intermisson, and that's primarily because I'm perpetually stuck in a dinosaur obsession. SpaceShip Earth was okay. I liked that it was narrated by Judy Dench; I'm a fan of a lot of her works. The Post show games were amusing.

Innoventions was boring as all heck. I just cannot get into that, no matter what. Perhaps it's my perpetual preference for the arts rather than math and science. Perhaps it's because it's meant for a younger audience. Or perhaps because it's simply boring.

I think that the primary issue for EPCOT's Future World is that the ideas it promotes, and the original concept of EPCOT, makes it nigh impossible to be a true 'Future World'. The best way to be able to adhere to that idea would be to have easily interchangeable attractions or festivals, or perhaps create it to adhere more to the maths and sciences so that it could appeal to more people.

I am intrigued by the mere idea of EPCOT - a prototype community of tomorrow. Perhaps we could work this more so into the park? In a strange sense, I can twine World Showcase to the idea of 'community'; it's a small world, after all, and all that. But on the 'tomorrow' sense...I see flashes of that periodically, glimmers in the rides and shows that are offered. However, overall, I feel more so an attempt to grasp at the logical side of education, trying to inspire future mathematicians and scientists, with a splash of Disney thrown in here or there.

There are some places that this is done right, I feel - combining Finding Nemo with aquariums and innovative technology. That works well, I think; it takes a loved, but still relevant, movie, and combines it with real life aquatic animals. TestTrack, Mission Space, SpaceShip Earth...yeah, I can see the science in these things, of course, and I think that's done right, especially for those wanting thrill rides who will seek the first two attractions (as was the case with me). Soarin' inspired not science or math, but more so an appreciation of the landscape shown.

However, other things were too boring or outdated for me to enjoy, as it doesn't hold much relevance to my age group or to my personal interests. I think a lot of the issue with Future World is that they haven't updated what needs to be updated. Circle of Life is merely an afterthought before or after lunch; Living With the Land is merely a boat ride where I can rest; Captain EO is meant for a generation much closer to MJ; Innovations is meant for younger kids, I presume, and for those who are more geeky in science/math than I have ever been.

I have my ideas for what could be done for these places, the majority of which need not to have buildings taken down. Create more relevant rides that adhere to science and Disney, but still manage to captivate an audience. Use the Circle of Life theater, maybe; change it to something entirely different altogether, like a movie about nature (featuring someone like Pocahontas, perhaps, in a homage to the live show once offered in the Animal Kingdom?). Change Captain EO to either Shrunk the Audience or create a new movie altogether. Maybe attempt to offer more in Innovations, or perhaps use it to focus on different subjects altogether?

And yes, I find it ludicrous that FP+ was added to JII with Figment.

I attempted to make this brief, but I am a verbose person by nature, and I merely wanted to express my (highly subjective) opinions. I wound up rambling, it seems. Of course, if you have any other questions to ask me, I'd be more than glad to answer them; I like having others actually be interested/intrigued/curious at what I have to say. (I will definitely try to check out those videos, too!)

Animaniac93-98

What's surprising is how much faith they really put into this attraction and hyped the heck out it....They even had a 45 minute Grand opening Special/Parade with music performers and everyone being there for this...Check this out!

And that's only one of the two specials they produced for this attraction. There was also a seperate "making of" piece that played on the Disney Channel.

When you spend a $1 million per minute on a movie (in 1986 dollars), you don't waste any marketing opportunity!

And that scene with Lucas and Eisner sitting in the theatre. You'd never see Iger in something like that.

Cmdr_Crimson

And that's only one of the two specials they produced for this attraction. There was also a seperate "making of" piece that played on the Disney Channel.

When you spend a $1 million per minute on a movie (in 1986 dollars), you don't waste any marketing opportunity!

And that scene with Lucas and Eisner sitting in the theatre. You'd never see Iger in something like that.

I do believe the majority of the Making of scenes are used within the Pre Show...

And if you want to see something funny...Check out the 20th anniversary special...Eisner literally chases Steve Martin down a street...When he wants buisness..You don't mess with him...

MattOrk

Aha. Knew I was missing some attractions and such. It was quite late when I made that post, after all, I was bound to forget a lot when I'm in a bought of insomnia.

List on my chopping block would primarily be Innoventions, In The Land (sans Soarin), EO/StA, ImageWorks, Odyssey, WoL, and Universe of Energy. I think if we were to scrap what's inside most of the buildings and replace them with new attractions on the inside, that would be better. It's more costly to level an entire park, after all.

My personal opinion (as a sixteen-year-old female whose interests are, I admit, somewhat different to most of my peers)?

In The Seas was cute, somewhat forgettable in some aspects. I find Turtle Talk With Crush to have been innovative and interactive. I haven't experienced the sit down restaurant; it's on my 'to-do' list.

Soarin' was alright; it could do with a refurbishment, however, perhaps adding more to the experience and getting new footage. Living With the Land was really only good in that I was able to sit down for a while. The Circle of Life show was outdated and, well, kind of cheesy - the only decent aspect was the fact that they used characters from one of my favorite movies. The QS restaurant was nice.

Jll with Figment is cute, as said before. Captain EO? Outdated and cheesy. I wasn't a huge fan of Michael Jackson in the first place, but I got strong "direct to TV/video" sci-fi film vibe when I saw it, the kind where you'd only see it at 3 AM on television. ImageWorks was okay - it amused my younger brother the first time he went, and I was happy about that (he's a very picky thirteen-year-old with severe Autism). I was more interested in seeing his reactions than the actual experience. Odyssey, if not used more, ought to be replaced with something that would be used often.

TestTrack2.0 was fun. I totally forgot about that. I found it to be pretty cool, and exciting, especially since I hadn't read about it much before my trip and had no clue what it was about until I got there. Mission Space and the Training Center made me a bit nauseous, but it's not something I would replace.

I can't comment wholly on WoL (never went to it, closed before I got there) but I'd say that it could be used more than part time. Universe of Energy was sort of boring, really. The only thing that perked my interest was the Dinosaur Dinorama intermisson, and that's primarily because I'm perpetually stuck in a dinosaur obsession. SpaceShip Earth was okay. I liked that it was narrated by Judy Dench; I'm a fan of a lot of her works. The Post show games were amusing.

Innoventions was boring as all heck. I just cannot get into that, no matter what. Perhaps it's my perpetual preference for the arts rather than math and science. Perhaps it's because it's meant for a younger audience. Or perhaps because it's simply boring.

I think that the primary issue for EPCOT's Future World is that the ideas it promotes, and the original concept of EPCOT, makes it nigh impossible to be a true 'Future World'. The best way to be able to adhere to that idea would be to have easily interchangeable attractions or festivals, or perhaps create it to adhere more to the maths and sciences so that it could appeal to more people.

I am intrigued by the mere idea of EPCOT - a prototype community of tomorrow. Perhaps we could work this more so into the park? In a strange sense, I can twine World Showcase to the idea of 'community'; it's a small world, after all, and all that. But on the 'tomorrow' sense...I see flashes of that periodically, glimmers in the rides and shows that are offered. However, overall, I feel more so an attempt to grasp at the logical side of education, trying to inspire future mathematicians and scientists, with a splash of Disney thrown in here or there.

There are some places that this is done right, I feel - combining Finding Nemo with aquariums and innovative technology. That works well, I think; it takes a loved, but still relevant, movie, and combines it with real life aquatic animals. TestTrack, Mission Space, SpaceShip Earth...yeah, I can see the science in these things, of course, and I think that's done right, especially for those wanting thrill rides who will seek the first two attractions (as was the case with me). Soarin' inspired not science or math, but more so an appreciation of the landscape shown.

However, other things were too boring or outdated for me to enjoy, as it doesn't hold much relevance to my age group or to my personal interests. I think a lot of the issue with Future World is that they haven't updated what needs to be updated. Circle of Life is merely an afterthought before or after lunch; Living With the Land is merely a boat ride where I can rest; Captain EO is meant for a generation much closer to MJ; Innovations is meant for younger kids, I presume, and for those who are more geeky in science/math than I have ever been.

I have my ideas for what could be done for these places, the majority of which need not to have buildings taken down. Create more relevant rides that adhere to science and Disney, but still manage to captivate an audience. Use the Circle of Life theater, maybe; change it to something entirely different altogether, like a movie about nature (featuring someone like Pocahontas, perhaps, in a homage to the live show once offered in the Animal Kingdom?). Change Captain EO to either Shrunk the Audience or create a new movie altogether. Maybe attempt to offer more in Innovations, or perhaps use it to focus on different subjects altogether?

And yes, I find it ludicrous that FP+ was added to JII with Figment.

I attempted to make this brief, but I am a verbose person by nature, and I merely wanted to express my (highly subjective) opinions. I wound up rambling, it seems. Of course, if you have any other questions to ask me, I'd be more than glad to answer them; I like having others actually be interested/intrigued/curious at what I have to say. (I will definitely try to check out those videos, too!)

Isn't this why there is more than one park?

MattOrk

This was more than just a new show for Disneyland/World. This was showing Wall St that they were back in the business of business. How many times has Universal been bought and sold? MGM, Warners, Paramount, UA, Columbia, etc? Disney is the only studio that has never been bought and sold, with most of that credit going to Einser and his team. Thanks Mike!

epcotWSC

I love Captain EO, but I also love the 80s. The 80s were just so cool. I always have a huge smile on my face when I walk into (and out of) Captain EO. Honestly, I would move it into DHS in some way and then demolish the theater over there and put something else in its place.

In terms of Future World as a whole, it doesn't really appeal to most younger people in general. I usually go to Epcot, go to Test Track, Soarin', Mission Space (if I need to kill time) and then wait around for the World Showcase to open. Future world needs to be something that's constantly changing in order to showcase the newest technology that's being developed. It can be done in many different ways especially with today's technology. Unfortunately, much of Future World just seems to be very outdated/boring.

FoozieBear

Original Poster
I wish they had plans to replace this with something new and better. This attraction is quite honestly the worst 3D film I have ever seen.

Matt_Black

Edit: Well, let's just say that the 80s, like any period of time, had their good points and their bad points and leave it at that.

Last edited:

StarWarsGirl

I actually enjoy Captain EO. As a young person, to me, Michael Jackson was only ever this really weird guy. Until Captain EO, I, personally, never really appreciated the talent that he had. It was also nice because I could finally experience an attraction from the 80s that my parents always talked about. I also think it's fun, even though it's a lot of fluff. And I like Hooter. :joyfull:

However, it's been around WAY too long. I'd like to see them put SOMETHING new in. And not just resurrecting Honey. Quite frankly, even though I like the Honey, I Shrunk the Kids films, I never really enjoyed that show. I'd like to see something original. Preferably with Figment. Redo the whole pavillion. With Figment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom