Cameron has given the OK ...

WED99

I hope that the north face of the building would look something like this, rather than just a mountain. The facade and immersive environment are potentially limitless for Avatar.

I am 99% certain Disney will not let you down!

Turtle

I hope that the north face of the building would look something like this, rather than just a mountain. The facade and immersive environment are potentially limitless for Avatar.

That water-fall can be one side of the massive show-building. It isn't going to be easy to design Pandora into a theme park land, but it's do-able and when its done it will be amazing.

Captain Neo

It will probably be a gigantic mountain similar to everest but with enormous waterfalls at the base to hide the ground level structure and give it a look like its levitating

Tom

Beta Return
Sir, what kind of job do you have that your printing these drawings out at work? Because i would like to be your apprentice. :) lol

I'm a commercial Construction Manager. I do a lot of drafting (mostly for small projects and changes to projects I manage at hospitals), but my primary role is to manage construction projects from a financial and scheduling standpoint. I estimate/bid, write specs, review plans, and oversee the work from the office side of things. We plot full size architectural drawings in our office routinely on our Oce Plotwave 350 because it's cheaper than outsourcing it to a print shop.

Well, that would certainly help kick the budget up toward Cameron's goal.

Figments Friend

Well i just spent about two enjoyable hours or so reading this entire thread....and having seen the plans people have mentioned, i am glad to see some movement publically.

Sounds promising....will be interesting to see more when the time comes.

There seems to be a lot of dissapointment in what seems on the surface to be just another Soarin or Star Tours-like attraction.
Something no one seems to have brought up....or maybe i missed it....is that folks seem to be forgetting about one of the ride concepts that was talked about some time ago. It was the full-sized Banshees that guests *rode* suspended in the air. I recall patent plans posted here last year showing a generalized sketch of said ride contraption...and it looked great. The biggest kernel of discussion when these were shared was the issue of ride capacity, but with several Banshees in each of the four theatres the numbers might be do-able.

Put one of those huge creatures in front of a screen showing a ultra-realistic 3D image from Mr. Camerons new camera...with your Banshee *ride vehicle* tilting and moving like a Banshee would...and that would definately be a cool experience. In that kind of controlled setting, indoors in front of a hyper-realistic projection, riding a Banshee vehicle, wow...now THAT really would be like flying over Pandora.

whylightbulb

What's going to make it an e-ticket? What have they tested?
Hogwarts Express will be the real deal! The train stations include highly detailed scenery and effects. The trains themselves will be very realistic including steam wafting from each car, scenic treatment and sounds. Each interior cabin includes period props and treatments. The window in each cabin will utlize an advanced optics display making it appear as though you are looking outside a window. As the train travels to the station riders will be treated to different storylines depending on which station they are going to. The cabins are also equipped with a full effects package including heat blast, leg ticklers, lighting etc. One storyline includes a dementors attack where it will get dark, the air will go cold and lights will flicker among other things.

Make no mistake the connector train ride is a full E-ticket! The R&D for the display system alone is staggering. Nothing like this has been done before on this scale and it will be spectacular. Avatar looks to be a joke compared to just this attraction. I haven't even mentioned the major new ride for Potter 2.0 yet.

That brings me to Gringott's. The queue, in my opinion, will be even better than Forbidden Journey's queue. Let's put it this way...the queue includes a really cool elevator ride that will simulate moving vertically and horizontally. You'll feel the air coming from the right side as you move to the right and you'll feel the air from below as you travel down. Each of the two elevator simulators include a projection dome above to enhance the visuals. That's just in the queue. Maybe I'll save the actual ride description for another time but suffice it to say that everything from the unique ride system to the exciting show elements will make this attraction one of the most impressive rides to date.

Captain Neo

Hogwarts Express will be the real deal! The train stations include highly detailed scenery and effects. The trains themselves will be very realistic including steam wafting from each car, scenic treatment and sounds. Each interior cabin includes period props and treatments. The window in each cabin will utlize an advanced optics display making it appear as though you are looking outside a window. As the train travels to the station riders will be treated to different storylines depending on which station they are going to. The cabins are also equipped with a full effects package including heat blast, leg ticklers, lighting etc. One storyline includes a dementors attack where it will get dark, the air will go cold and lights will flicker among other things.

Make no mistake the connector train ride is a full E-ticket! The R&D for the display system alone is staggering. Nothing like this has been done before on this scale and it will be spectacular. Avatar looks to be a joke compared to just this attraction. I haven't even mentioned the major new ride for Potter 2.0 yet.

That brings me to Gringott's. The queue, in my opinion, will be even better than Forbidden Journey's queue. Let's put it this way...the queue includes a really cool elevator ride that will simulate moving vertically and horizontally. You'll feel the air coming from the right side as you move to the right and you'll feel the air from below as you travel down. Each of the two elevator simulators include a projection dome above to enhance the visuals. That's just in the queue. Maybe I'll save the actual ride description for another time but suffice it to say that everything from the unique ride system to the exciting show elements will make this attraction one of the most impressive rides to date.

You talked a big talk for Forbidden Journey and when it got close to opening you quickly changed your tune and said Universal slashed the budget and opted to make it less spectacular. When I rode it I thought it was good ride not OUT OF THIS WORLD but it was good. I was very disappointed by how dark and poor quality the video footage was and some of the sets and motions of the AA's could have been better as well. The ride system was definitely cool though I will give you that. I'm just concerned your overhyping again only to under deliver.

menamechris

Why can't Disney just build the damn bike coaster along with the simulator and boat ride. Stop being cheap. They spent $300 mil on Radiator Springs Racers alone out in California and people showed up in droves. It takes money to make money baby! Thats something Frank Wells and Walt Disney understood very well.

If they announced they would be doing the bike coaster, I would have tons more enthusiasm for this project. But once again, it looks as as they looking for the safe, easy way to get something done. If you are going to do it - do it right. Do something you can market and showcase as being unique and thrilling. Have the bike coaster be the E ticket, and then have your little C/D ticket that the families with young children can ride.... I know it would be too much to ask of Disney to have all 3....

alissafalco

Wow, you really make this sound very exciting. I hope it comes out the way you are describing. Do you know when the construction will be finished?

Turtle

Sounds cool! What do you think Universal will be announcing on November 1st? And what do you think Disney will announce on December 7th?

doctornick

If they announced they would be doing the bike coaster, I would have tons more enthusiasm for this project. But once again, it looks as as they looking for the safe, easy way to get something done. If you are going to do it - do it right.

While I would have been thrilled to see the bike coaster on the table (and having 3 attractions in general), I think people are being overly dismissive of the Soarin' type ride. Given the size and setup of the ride, I expect that it will be a significant improvement over Soarin', especially given that Cameron has signed off on that being the big ride for the area.

At this point, the only upgrade we know of is that it is going to be 3D and digital and likely at a higher frame rate. But the screens seem to be significantly larger than Soarin' so it will feel more immersive. The loading is separate from different levels which will likely allow for much greater movement, so I think we'll see a lot of falls and sideways movement (significant movement, not the little tilting that you get with Soarin'). Plus there's the possibility that they've have some randomization for different experiences on multiple rides.

Now, I don't know what if any of these are going to happen. Or maybe there is some other upgrades that would be more significant. But it's probably not fair to just write this off as just a clone of Soarin' but with 3D, not at this point.

Pixiedustmaker

At this point, the only upgrade we know of is that it is going to be 3D and digital and likely at a higher frame rate. But the screens seem to be significantly larger than Soarin' so it will feel more immersive.

The loading is separate from different levels which will likely allow for much greater movement, so I think we'll see a lot of falls and sideways movement (significant movement, not the little tilting that you get with Soarin'). Plus there's the possibility that they've have some randomization for different experiences on multiple rides.

When I heard that the loading areas were on three levels, I got the impression that this was for speed of loading, rather than movement of the cars. For example, in Soarin', after picking up guests, the ride vehicles are stacked horizontally, but then return to the floor.

By loading horizontally, the loading procedure will be noticeably faster as you don't have to walk around a big loading area. I don't know about you, but I've almost gotten lost trying to follow the CM into Soarin's loading area (in DCA), as they just don't seem to have the manpower to load large numbers efficiently.

With three levels it will be short and sweet, like Star Tours a doors will open up and you probably walk down a row without wasting money on CMs, and/or time, guiding everybody in. Plus, it might make it easier for the CM to check the safety belts.

Soarin' has a big screen already, plus if you can't see the pixels, how will it help having a bigger screen, further away, in higher resolution? (Not really sure if Soarin' uses digital projectors, might not). Unless you are talking about having the screen bend more around the peripheral vision areas of black nothingness you have on the ride.

Not so sure that the screens will be bigger, also.

menamechris

While I would have been thrilled to see the bike coaster on the table (and having 3 attractions in general), I think people are being overly dismissive of the Soarin' type ride. Given the size and setup of the ride, I expect that it will be a significant improvement over Soarin', especially given that Cameron has signed off on that being the big ride for the area.

At this point, the only upgrade we know of is that it is going to be 3D and digital and likely at a higher frame rate. But the screens seem to be significantly larger than Soarin' so it will feel more immersive. The loading is separate from different levels which will likely allow for much greater movement, so I think we'll see a lot of falls and sideways movement (significant movement, not the little tilting that you get with Soarin'). Plus there's the possibility that they've have some randomization for different experiences on multiple rides.

Now, I don't know what if any of these are going to happen. Or maybe there is some other upgrades that would be more significant. But it's probably not fair to just write this off as just a clone of Soarin' but with 3D, not at this point.

It may not be fair - but even your "best-case description" pales in comparision to what it sounds like Universal is creating. It may end up being neat, but even my wildest dreams of a Star Tours/Soarin mesh doesn't sound like enough to anchor a land like this. A family ride like this can be built, but I think it would be wise for Disney to also take into consideration the demographic that will actually be most interested in Avatar...the young adult audience...

Bairstow

Why can't Disney just build the damn bike coaster along with the simulator and boat ride. Stop being cheap. They spent $300 mil on Radiator Springs Racers alone out in California and people showed up in droves. It takes money to make money baby! Thats something Frank Wells and Walt Disney understood very well.

Could be that they're anticipating a "phase 2" type expansion and want to leverage multiple years' worth of new attraction attendance boosts from the Cameron contract.

Magenta Panther

Now, you see, I anticipated something like what you described for the Hogwarts Express attraction, only it sounds even more marvelous than I imagined! My gosh, I got goosebumps reading your post! Different scenarios depending on which station you're going to! That is freaking brilliant! And I love the way you describe the decor and theming. If it's as good or better than the theming in Hogsmeade and Hogwarts Castle, it's going to be mind-blowing. And your description of the mechanics within Gringotts makes it sound like it just may top the Tower of Terror (which I love - it's my favorite ride in all of WDW). The tech alone sounds staggering. I cannot WAIT to read your "actual ride description" - it's hard to believe the attraction could sound any better.

As for Avatar, it's a joke by any way you look at it. No way it's going to "swat" anything, except perhaps certain people's expectations of it... ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom